• movielover
    In the olden days, it would have been no problem (parking). I'm told the Freeborn garage is stacked and packed when it rains.

New housing going up on 5th Street, new hotel on Mace (?), and a new development across from Mrak on the large Nishi property next to the freeway (diagonal property). Nishi was passed by a city ballot. Housing for 2,200 students, only 2 & 3 story buildings, looks bland, boring.
  • Russ Bowlus
    There are several more large projects underway or in planning, as well: Lincoln 40 on 5th across from Greystone, the 7-story replacement for the frat house next to Quarto, another one or two complexes in South Davis...

The vacancy rate is SO low though; it's going to take a LOT of additional development to make a dent in rents.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Keep in mind that there are 30k undergrads on campus now!
  • movielover

Lincoln 40 - 700 beds
    Davis Live (7 story) - 440 beds
    Nishi / Mrak - 2200 beds
    Grad location - 890 beds
    ----------------------------------------------
    New beds - 4300 w / just these 4.

39,000 students, 60% female. When will enrollment growth stop?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Legislative Affairs Office had a paper about potential UC and CSU expansion a year or so ago that estimated "modest" increases (5-10%? IIRC) in enrollment through 2024/25 for the UC system as a whole.
  • movielover
    New Davis restaurants:

Guads, 3rd Street, excellent street tacos.

Raising Canes Chicken Fingers, 207 E St, open til 2 / 3 AM.

Ketmo closed.
  • AggieFinn
    When I was in town for the Eastern game, I took my Dad and my Uncle to De Vere's only to find it had closed too, no doubt not helped by the COVID shutdowns all spring of 2020, and then the summer immediately thereafter, with continued shutdowns into the fall. Going to miss that place, whoever takes it over has a great space.
  • agalum

So where did you end up? Plainfield station?
  • 69aggie
    Is the old university plaza getting torn down? Someone very smart should realize that the students would very much support a reincarnation of the grad when it is rebuilt. Parents, kids, students, athlete teams, dancing, and much more. It is justo much of an UCD institution to go permanently down into history. If much younger I would give it a try. I am sure others feel the same?
  • Russ Bowlus
    If you want burgers and sports, Froggy's/Tommy J's is still downtown. For pizza and sports, we usually (in pre-COVID days) drive out to Lamppost Pizza on Lake.
  • 72Aggie
    One place that I am surprised left town not to return was Nation's Giant Hamburgers. You could always tell when the dorm menu was particularly disappointing by the line at Nation's. I know no one will believe me but when it opened hamburgers were $.65 and cheeseburgers were $.75. That was also when keyboards had the symbol for "cents."

No, there was not a hitching post out front.

Lord, I feel old.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yeah, that was a bummer--great place for night-after breakfasts.

They moved from the UMall to 3rd and A while I was in school and never had the same amount of traffic at 3rd and A, seemed like.
  • fugawe09
    I went to nations in Davis a few times as a kid but it was gone by the time I was a student. If I had reason to be in Vacaville I would go out of my way to stop at the one there. A different kind of place but I was also disappointed when Habit burger pulled out. What I gathered from someone who worked downtown was that most all the commercial real estate was owned a by a couple landlords who drove a hard bargain on lease renewals.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Of course there was also the famous, or infamous for some, Murder Burger that ended up becoming Redrum Burger.
  • AggieFinn

Absolutely went to Plainfield Station. Pete cooked up a storm, and we got a bunch of brews.
  • DrMike
    I like Burgers and Brew for a pre Basketball meal. Have to hit it at the senior time (4:30-5:00) else it can get crowded.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Senior time... That's starting to get a little too close to happening!!
  • movielover
    A few updates:

- The Grad sits empty, along w the whole University Mall in Limbo. Trader Joe's still open.
    - Bistro 33/City Hall Tavern - will become Mamma. In progress remodeling.
    - de Vere’s Irish Pub - to become Bull ’N Mouth - also in progress.
  • 69aggie
    I noticed that too on my last trip. University mall just sits and after all that fussing and fighting with the city for permits. G street still closed off. Pedestrian only. Permanent? Downtown Davis’s still a very vibrant little town at night. Last Tuesday night was some sort of sorority thing and I was at the Aggie Inn when scores of young women were walking towards downtown after 12:00 am. Place has a very safe vibe to it. Gotta say I still miss the place!
  • Russ Bowlus
    G Street closure looks semi-permanent. City installed planters and bollards to beautify the street closure, at least. We've been to Woodstocks a couple times since the closure--I really like that area with the street seating.

Last I read re: UMall was that they are fighting with some of the neighbors on the north side over how tall the building will be.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Woodstocks and 3 Mile Brewery make for a good combination.
  • movielover
    The new dorms in West Village go forever.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!