• Goags20172
    Tomorrow's game, assuming it happens, should be interesting. It should also be very long, with lots of pitching changes on both sides.

I've seen almost every Sac State home game this year, and I can say they are still struggling offensively. However, they usually find enough offense versus UCD to be pains in the neck. As the press release states freshman C/1B Martin Vincelli- Simard has been the big power threat. Third baseman Steven Moretto hit several last year. He only has one this year, but it was the game- winner against #3 UCLA. Freshman RF Trevor Doyle has started driving the ball with more authority + had a big series vs. Towson. Freshman SS Evan Gibbons was a pretty big deal in HS, and has very good glove, but he's still learning at the plate. Redshirt sophomore catcher/DH Dawsen Bacho has had several big hits of late.

As for pitching, I'll limit this to pitchers the Aggies may actually face on a Tuesday. The UCD press release said redshirt junior Nick Tabura, but I don't think they actually know that so much as they're just guessing it's the guy who pitched last Tuesday. The hornets will nonetheless open up their bullpen and you can count on a few different pitchers throwing 1 inning. Tabura might be an "opener", but you likely won't see anyone go more than 2 unless the Aggies give them quick innings. I've never seen Tabura pitch. If the hornets get comfortably ahead they'll probably bring in Gibbons ( yes, the shortstop) or big Connor Sparks. The Saint Mary's Gaels were apparently not impressed with the fact he was drafted out of HS, and they are solely responsible for his career- to- date ERA of 36.00. Gibbons only has gotten a mop- up appearance so far, and his ERA is even higher. Sac State has a stable of struggling young relievers, but one of them (Brady Rodriguez) pitched an absolute gem against Towson on Sunday in his first start of the year. Sophomore Travis Martizia and senior Tanner Dalton have mostly been handling the closing duties. It just got more interesting though. Junior Austin Roberts has been moved to the bullpen as well, surprising since he struck out 13 barely two weeks ago. Apparently Freshman Travis Adams has usurped his rotation spot. When Adams was struggling in the 5th inning but escaped trouble Saturday Sac State took him out + they won 1- 0. I wonder what team could learn from that example ?

Expect the Aggies to throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Hornets + Tigers over the next 2 days. This is because there are no games over the weekend. Finals are not to blame. Apparently the Aggies' originally scheduled opponent double- booked their weekend plans + bailed. The kitchen sink here is Brown since he had a long Sunday start + should be resting. Everybody else is fair game. If they have a late lead do not be surprised if they bypass Lyford/Ouellette/Johnson, and go straight to Erwin.

The question of the game is really if the Aggies can adjust quickly to the different looks the parade of relievers will present.
  • Goags20172
    This is a 7pm game on a work night. I will be shocked if I last past the 5th inning.
  • 72Aggie
    The baseball press release indicates the Ags and Hornets will still play a home and away series this year, (https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/3/11/baseball-aggie-to-face-hornets-tigers-in-mid-week-meetings.aspx?path=baseball ), however the Causeway Cup site is giving this game the full 5 points, (https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/2018/9/4/Causeway-Cup-18-19.aspx ), indicating the game originally scheduled in February but postponed for rain will not be made up.
  • Goags20172
    That was the impression I got as well. When Sac State added a Sunday game against Marge Simpson College the press release said it was to replace the rained out game against UCD. Then they cancelled that game due to rain that never happened. UCD may not make up the Santa Clara game either. They made it difficult to do sp by adding extra games against UOP and USF.
  • Goags20172
    Ugh ! Must UCD always play like a D- 2 team against Sac State ? Wake me up in late May.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!