• SoCalDavisFan
    Based on the box score, this game was a roller coaster. We had a 9 - 2 lead, but fall again. 3 home runs, but we couldn't pick up the win. I can imagine the coaching staff is frustrated, as are the players. Not what we were hoping for this year.
  • Goags20172
    I was keeping track of the game online + this was another game where Vaughn left Spillane in too long + set the bullpen up to fail in my opinion. I figure he wants these kids to get stronger by working through adversity, but he has to draw a line and decide what's good for the team as well.

They have a nice long break to rest and recover. The good news is their next opponent is Santa Clara, which is doing worse than they are. During this break I would not be surprised to see some role changes.

Another piece of good news is Jared Sasaki should be back shortly, consistent with what ProAggieGuy said. I overheard him week before last tell a parent at the game that he expects to be back soon and that he has been throwing in the bullpen during games. I think Jared will probably begin in the bullpen, but he could also be an "opener" to ensure he gets his work in, maybe have Hannah or Spillane piggyback on those starts until he's ready to go at least 5 innings.

I believe the pitching rotation will change, but just the order for now. Chris Brown has earned a promotion to Saturday starter, whereas Hannah has had 3 poor starts in a row. Still there's really no one else right now that's ready to step into the rotation, although Sasaki will be in fairly short order.

The game against Sac State really just proved one thing: that the Hornets' less- used relievers are better than the Aggies' less- used relievers right now. It was nifty to see Tim Weiser strike out the side after the bases were loaded though

Perhaps it might be time to re- define bullpen roles by eliminating the current ones + letting the players' decide that with their performance instead. Ouellette clearly isn't ready to close, but he has potential. He needs more pitching experience period. Lyford is better than I thought he'd be, but he's over- used in my opinion, to the point where his stats aren't even impressive anymore. I liked the first inning I saw from Lara on Tuesday + that he got a 2nd inning to show what he can do. Moffitt's better than he's looked the past 2 appearances. Perhaps he needs a low- pressure garbage inning or two to boost his confidence. Would like to see more from Johnson.
    Justin Smith was missing the strike zone pretty badly against Sac State, but that wasn't the case in fall ball.

I am assuming Ryan Rodriguez is red- shirting this year. He was kind of wild last year, was wild when I saw him in fall ball. If they can get him to control his above- average velocity fastball he would be a good late- inning option. Also guessing that Jordan, Wesolowsky, and Meredith are redshirting, especially Meredith. I noticed he was on foul ball retrieval duty + that is a role typically reserved for redshirts. Wonder about Wyatt Tucker though. Would be kind of strange to redshirt a JC transfer, unless he's hurt.

They should also make a point of giving O'Boy a start each week at catcher. He looks better defensively this year + his hitting is coming around. Need to have a fall- back plan if Denholm gets drafted in June.

Lastly I wouldn't be surprised to see Myers get more playing time at first.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!