• quadshock
    Figured we could add some excitement outside of pro day

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/4/10/18301205/keelan-doss-could-be-a-late-round-weapon-for-the-redskins

How He Would Fit On The Redskins

Word is that Doss caught Jon Gruden’s eye at the Senior Bowl, and that Doss was a Raiders’ fan growing up. What are the chances Jon might be willing to share some intel with little brother Jay? While Doss played against lesser competition at UC Davis, he was more than able to hold his own against top FBS corners like Penn State’s Amani Oruwariye and Texas’ Kris Boyd during the Senior Bowl. Doss is a big receiver who can work both outside and in the slot, who has a reputation for leadership - he was team captain at UC Davis - and brains and who has demonstrated more than adequate speed for the position. The Redskins are in desperate need of help at the WR position, and with the early picks seemingly spoken for to meet more pressing team needs, such as EDGE, QB, IOL, and FS, this year’s unusually deep WR pool provides a great opportunity to pick up mid to late rounders like Doss to bolster the teams’ catching corps. I’d love to see the Redskins grab Doss in the 5th as part of a multi-year effort to transform our WR group with underestimated sleeper picks over the next two drafts.
  • quadshock
    https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/06/cardinals-scout-uc-davis-wr-keelan-doss/

The Arizona Cardinals can be connected to another wide receiver prospect. This one is from a small school, continuing a yearly tradition of looking far and wide for NFL talent.

The latest is receiver Keelan Doss from UC Davis.

According to the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson, Cardinals assistant wide receiver coach Peter Badinovac was in attendance at Doss’ pro day.
  • quadshock
    https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2056-49ers-draft-may-tip-hand-regarding-long-term-plans/

I'm sure many readers are apoplectic over the fact that what many perceive as the team's greatest need, wide receiver, remains untouched with only the team's two sixth-round picks remaining. To those people, I offer Keelan Doss from UC Davis and Jalen Hurd out of Baylor. Two big targets who produced in college to add to the mix at wide receiver. Doss is my draft crush, admittedly, but having watched a fair amount of his film, while he is not blazingly fast, he has everything else you want in a player, and was a team leader in college as well.
  • AggieFinn
    I'd offer that 4.45 at 6'2" 210 lbs is more than adequate in terms of speed...and catch radius.
  • AggieFinn
    https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/37458/keelan-doss

Rotoworld puts up just about every sliver of draft news that comes up on a daily basis. KD has plenty for a FCS guy.
  • DrMike
    for what its worth, here are some stats vs. FBS teams:
    2016 : Oregon. 7 catches, 116 yards
    Wyoming. 7 catches, 104 yards, 1 TD
    2017 : San Diego State. 8 catches 181 yards 1 TD
    2018 : San Jose St. 11 catches, 85 yards
    Stanford. 13 catches, 106 yards

not bad
  • 69aggie
    KD will be drafted for sure. What I am worried about is that with the Aggie connection with the Raiders, they will draft him first and then move to LV and we will lose sight of him. 49ers need to step up and draft this great local player for the great many reasons already stated. Selfish thoughts I know. But I do wish him well anywhere he goes.
  • zythe
    Whatever is the best for KD.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd love to see him in a Niner uniform!
  • quadshock
    https://www.raiders.com/news/oakland-raiders-host-local-pro-day-for-several-prospects-entering-the-2019-nfl-d/

Thursday afternoon, the Oakland Raiders hosted a local pro day at the team’s facility in Alameda, Calif., for prospects that either grew up or attended college within a 50-mile radius. The main draws were players from Stanford, California Berkeley, UC Davis, and San Jose State. While the group of almost 40 players probably won’t be drafted on Day One, it’s important to get extra face time with the coaching staff in case they’re selected at a later point of the Draft.

“Honestly I knew the process was going to be long, but it’s a fun one and you only get to do it once,” Doss said when asked about the evaluation process. “It’s long, and it might be tiring at points, but next year you’re not going to be doing this, you’re either going to be working out or just chilling for the most part. Being able to go to Mobile and experiencing the [Senior Bowl] and going to the Combine — even though I wasn’t able to participate — but still being down there and witnessing that whole thing. It’s been a grind, but it’s been a fun one.”

• quadshock
    From another perspective... He's getting some hype in the fantasy football world https://fantasysixpack.net/2019-fantasy-football-dynasty-rookie-draft-rankings/
  • AggieFinn

Vegas is just a hop-skip flight away! I will be watching Raider games, so if Doss ends with the Raiders, there will be plenty of updates from me.
  • AggieFinn
    I wonder where Keelan is having his draft watch party.

Regardless, I'll be at Linguini's in Alameda Thursday 4/25 night for Round 1, Friday 4/26 night for Rounds 2-3 and Saturday 4/27 most of the Day for Rounds 4-7.

Would be crazy to see KD go by the end of Friday night.

FYI, for the first time in its history, the 2019 NFL Draft will be conducted from Nashville, TN
    Dierks Bentley is slated to play a show before it kicks off Thursday night:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/04/16/nfl-draft-downtown-nashville-security/3312290002/

shutterstock_230695279.1528812228.jpg
  • 69aggie
    Niners would be crazy not to get him with an early pick, but my bet would be on the Raiders getting him first. Niners need some more very smart guys on the field and leaders in the locker room. KD will be an instant leader. Both on and off the field. I’m not saying he’s charismatic, but more like a Richard Sherman type guy. Respected. This is a quality that cannot be coached or developed. It just is there or is not. KD has it. RS would be an excellent mentor to him.
  • AggieFinn
    Being educated on AGS - the Scouts have compiled the Pro Day hand times.

NFLDraftScout is officially listing Keelan's 40 time at Pro Day as 4.56 (which feels like an average of 4.45 to 4.65). Projecting 5th-6th Rd, which seems about right, he might sneak into the late 4th if there's a huge run on WR, and frankly, this class is deep on WR talent (There are no Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson types this year), not top tier talent, but late 1st-4th Rd guys who can really contribute. Don't foresee WR being a super hot commodity as opposed to the insane depth at DT/DE in this year's draft.

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1004548&DraftYear=2019
  • 69aggie
    On May 3, 1983 the NYT lead article on (and local TV) Kenny O’Brian was: “Ken Who From Cal Where”. I was in an upstate NY bar that night when this was announced. I made the mistake of saying I was from California and had seen Ken play and that he was really, really good. A remark that was very much not well received by the locals. I actually got a lot of verbal abuse and felt like I had to back out of the bar like in one of those old western movies with broken bottle in hand. I got in my rental and left the parking lot and guess what happened next: flashing blue lights on me. Then “step out of the car slowly put hands on the top of the car.” then: who are you and why are you here”. (This was in Utica NY- in upstate New York area and a very red necky area). I told them I was an attorney representing a local company in a civil case. That was good enough to get me off. Final point from the cop: my advice: stay out of that bar and go home to CA. Ken O’Brian went on to the greatness that is history.
  • AggieFinn
    NFL.com's Chad Reuter has Doss going to the Broncos high in the 5th Rd. Would be a great position for Doss to be in, Flacco is a possession type QB, will give Doss great 50/50 balls, and throws with good anticipation.

Fifth Round: WR Keelan Doss and ILB Terrill Hanks

Doss would give the Broncos another big wide receiver for quarterback Joe Flacco to work with. He would also provide depth and add more youth to an already young wide receiving group.

Hanks would give Vic Fangio the athletic linebacker he covets, but a developmental one that likely won’t push for playing time right away. I like Hanks and think he could develop into a starter for the Broncos down the road, especially with this coaching staff.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/4/22/18510015/nfl-coms-chad-reuters-seven-round-mock-draft-would-give-the-broncos-quite-a-haul
  • quadshock
    https://sidelionreport.com/2019/04/18/detroit-lions-2019-draft-prospect-wide-receiver-keelan-doss/

Doss is unlikely to hear his name called until later on day three of the draft. However, playing for a smaller school with an undistinguished NFL pipeline isn’t necessarily an impediment to NFL success. Just ask burgeoning Lions receiver Kenny Golladay, an alumnus of small Northern Illinois University.

Despite the shroud of relative anonymity that can befall even the very best players from smaller programs, Doss manages to stand out. His six foot two frame helps him be one of the more accomplished receivers in the draft at adjusting to balls in the air and making contested catches. He has the versatility to be a rangy outside target, or function as a “large slot”, adaptability that helped him be highly productive for the Aggies.

Aside from his ball skills, he has dependable hands, passable speed and is generally lauded for his character. Although he possesses no discernible traits that would project him to be a star at the next level, he shows few glaring weaknesses and would provide the Lions with solid depth for their receiving corps.

As with so many talented prospects from lesser known schools, the concern about how Doss will perform against higher level competition is often raised. As such, some of his best performances in 2018 came against teams like Sacramento State, Northern Colorado and Idaho State. How many NFL players can you name from those schools?
  • AggieFinn
    If anybody's planning on watching Day 3 pick by pick.

A word of warning, Rds 4-7 are generally a 5-6 hour affair
  • movielover
    Is Doss now officially 6'2"? He looks taller than that to me.
  • AggieFinn

I think it's 6' - 2" and some change but if you're not 6' - 2-1/2" or greater, they don't list you as 6' - 3"
  • AggieFinn
    SB Nation Lists UC Davis WR Keelan Doss as their #136 Overall Prospect in the 2019 NFL Draft

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/4/23/18510580/nfl-draft-big-board-best-players-strength-weakness-2019
  • AggieFinn
    Bucky Brooks and MJD showing Doss a lot of love.

• movielover
    USA Today: Round 6, No. 200, WR Keelan Doss, UC Irvine

I emailed them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good grief...! :rage:
  • 69aggie
    “Keelan Who from UC Where”? History just does have a way of repeating itself. Sad but true. But Kenny did very well with that problem. Keelan will do the same.
  • movielover
    Edit in progress... I asked them to put in Bossy Cow, Moo Moo.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!