• 72Aggie
    UCD men's rugby, after some national success at the lower level, moved to the elite level a couple of seasons ago. They did not make the playoff last season, but did this year. Their reward was a first round game at Cal today with the predictable result: Cal 141, UCD 3. One of the Cal players noted, "We did some things well but we'll need to be better next week."
    "We've still got a ways to go," added another.
  • 69aggie
    Very typical cocky and poor response by a Berkeley Rugby player in a sport that is revered for its “sportsmanship” ideals (remember the beers after the game thing 20 years ago?- now: GONE!) The Cal players know very well how much better off they are than most rugby teams at the college level with their sizable endowment thanks to Dean Witter et. Al. Their own practice field and their own full time coach (which I don’t think any other rugby team in the US has). So Cal who is so good here and Then goes to Canada and plays the University of British Columbia and then gets totally trashed. Some day some alum will come along and say: enough it’s enough and donate some big money to help Aggie Rugby compete at this level. For now we just play along.
  • 72Aggie
    (As much as I hate to say it, the Bears usually do pretty well against UBC. This year they split with each team winning at home..Cal 24, UBC 22 at home and UBC 28, Cal 24 on the road.)

I do love the years when little St. Mary's College beats them....then when people tell me Cal is the top program in the nation I can say, "They aren't even the top college program in Contra Costa County."
  • 72Aggie
    Final championship result....Life University 29, Cal 26
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    but Cal is in Alameda County. Or did you mean that in years SMC beats them, they are the best in CC?
  • 72Aggie

"My bad!" I thought Berkeley was in Contra Costa County...swore I'd even looked it up. Alameda it is. Will have to change my commentary, when appropriate, to "not even the best in the East Bay...."

This year they were the best in the East Bay. Beat St. Mary's in the regular season and in the playoffs, though both games were close. (One game in Berkeley, one in Moraga, so technically they were the best college team IN Contra Costa County...and in Alameda County....)

Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!