• BlueGoldAg
    Bruce Gallaudet is writing a two part series, A Prideful Look Back with Ex-Aggie Sandy Simpson, on the former Women's Basketball Head Coach. Here is an excerpt from the article:

Simpson graduated in 1981. Eventually, he went off to supposedly greener pastures. Stops as an assistant coach at Washington, George Washington and Washington State gave him a unique perspective.

Simpson remembers teaching a sports-theory class at one of those campuses. It was a fill-the-requirements, don’t-really-have-to-attend kind of class for athletes. At first he proposed a lesson plan and took attendance. By the second week, the full house dwindled to a handful of students. Then came the question from a colleague: “Why are you doing all that? Lesson plan, attendance? These are mostly football players.”

“I kind of had my eyes opened a little bit: I realized not every place does it quite like Davis does,” says the ex-coach. “I knew that responsibility in the classroom was (paramount) at UC Davis.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/a-prideful-look-back-with-ex-aggie-sandy-simpson/
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Enterprise has published the second part of the two part series on Sandy Simpson:

But before that 2010-11 season began, Simpson had announced he was stepping down. Sure, he’d stick around the athletic department at UCD, overseeing five sports and continuing to teach in the classroom. But the official version of why Sandy was leaving was that he wanted to spend more time with his wife Chris and their three children.

Insiders knew there was another reason that Simpson bid adieu …

“At the time, I was thinking I’d stay maybe one more year or so,” Simpson tells The Enterprise. “But I was afraid Jen was going to get away. She was becoming a very hot commodity.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/simpson-knew-ucd-program-was-in-good-hands/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!