• movielover
    Latest from Bearland.

1. Kal fans talking past us, to UW. Love it!

2. Backup QB Modster still unavailable; backup likely 1 of 2 freshmen.

3. With a lack of talent at WR, Kal will use a THREE TIGHT END set, on ocassion. (Hello, Coach Tucker!)

4. Reportedly, only Nikko Remigio (WR) has established himself.

5. Defense will show more looks, wrinkles; still down 2 NGs.

6. Looking to create big offensive plays. Kal also practised several trick plays during open practice (ahem).

https://bearinsider.com/s/1589/12-plus-one-takeaways-from-fall-camp/2
  • nfehT

Bland already redshirted. Not a good look for him or the staff.
  • AggieFinn
    Davis

We don't set our campus on fire.
  • movielover
    Bears release depth chart. OLine young, TE young, big at OLB.

They lose RJunior Gentle Williams to injury. "Redshirt freshman Matt Cindric becomes the starting left guard. ..."

"Williams injury leaves the offensive line with just four letter-winners. ... But the backups are now woefully inexperienced and the Bears can ill afford another major injury to that unit."

Redshirt frosh long snapper.

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2019/8/24/20831298/cal-football-releases-depth-cchart-for-2019

https://bearinsider.com/s/1590/depth-chart-released-guard-williams-out-for-year/2
  • nfehT
    Dodged a bullet up front. The big outside backers are rush ends. As odd as it sounds, this is a game that Davis needs to keep close by playing defense.
  • AggieFinn

Perfect observation.
  • movielover
    Rush ends? Like a DE / masquerading as a LB?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I think it's perfectly fine to cheer for the Ags and be fired up for the season to start. I've said this many times on this board, but why the Cal hate? The whole Kal thing is something silly made up by Stanford fans. It's all UC. It just makes us seem petty and dumb. Like something Sac State would do for us. I know I cheer for Cal too, but it just seems like putting the Bears down instead of lifting up the Ags makes us look bad. Why do we bother hating Cal and not UCLA? It just seems dumb. Also, the Ags play Cal only every few seasons. There is no rivalry. Our rivals are Sac and Poly and theirs are Stanfurd (SIC), U$C, and UC Lol (also SIC).
  • Zander
    Idk, every time I hear some Cal say "THE University of California" that definitely amps up my desire to beat them.

Also, I don't know if this was always a thing before the ultra-competitive current era of college admissions, but my Cal-going high school classmates definitely looked down on me for going to Davis. That kind of thing puts it beyond a friendly rivalry in my opinion, at least for the Ags.
  • smarterray

No hate, just fun. "What's a matter, couldn't get into Davis?" is what Dan Hawkins said to Chancellor May the other day when they renamed Aggie Stadium (May went to UC Berkeley). It's a play on how all of us at one point were asked why we went to Davis instead of Cal. Both schools are excellent and Davis' reputation amongst college applicants now is higher than ever.

"State School" is usually reserved for schools with the word "State" in their name, like they're bad. But really it's silly because both Davis and Cal are state-funded universities... So I'm poking fun at that notion of superiority as well.

"Kal State Berkeley" is fun because, as much as we hate being referred to as "Cal-Davis," Cal people hate it even more to add anything else after "Cal" or "California." Again, another tease, but not trying to put anyone down.

Really, they're inside jokes for those who like dumb signs.
  • smarterray
    I'll be in Section XX near row 50 (I think 52?) for anyone who wants to identify other Aggies.
  • movielover
    A friend decades ago told me when a Berkeley grad says they went to "Cal", he asks:

Cal-Santa Cruz or Cal-Riverside?
  • Riveraggie
    They have a lot of changes to both units. Our biggest hope is that we really have our act together, while they’re still getting to know each other. Cal seems to “rent” a lot of short term players, for example an FCS experienced grad student who was on two FCS teams. They have a lot of their players transfer to other schools , I think six this year. Maybe they’re panning for gold, sifting out less talented players, but there doesn’t seem to be much loyalty to and from players in their program.
  • movielover
    They seem strong at LB and DB. Wait until all those senior DBs graduate next year.

Do teams typically sub a lot on the lines? We seem deep right now, whereas the Bears look young.

Their DC yesterday compared their offense to ours. (4,000 yds passing to 2,000?)

https://youtu.be/aebw5N59HtY
  • Riveraggie
    They had a little more offensive success against Stanford than we did.
  • movielover
    We had a couple of opportunities. Didn't we throw a pick and miss a FG?
  • Riveraggie
    If ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts...
    Winning this game is a possibility, but don’t count on Cal’s offense being terrible. They have a good size 230lb running back and an offensive lineman who is a two year starter and weighs 340lb. Might be tough on us. They’ve got a “four star” QB so he’s going to be a threat. They think they have very athletic new receivers. I just hope they’re not ready to play their best game, and we are. We have to play better than we did against San Jose and Stanford to pull off an upset.
  • Zander
    As I recall, yes. We also had a TD called back on a penalty (might have been a defensive play though, I forget) and we went for it and failed to convert instead of kicking a FG at one point. I think it's fair to say that we may have been able to score about 20 in that game if things went slightly differently.
  • Riveraggie
    The touchdown we got had an element of luck to it,
  • movielover
    A much tougher game than San Jose, but not quite as tough as Stanford, though I almost felt they were holding back out of respect for Gould, etc. If I recall, their QB was misfiring, and Love held out. Only 50 Aggie rushing yds.

Will the next Mason Moe / Ryan Parenteau emerge? How much was it Moe, and how much the system / preparation / execution? Our Sack game was legit last year.

FYI, in one breath HC Wilcox says he diesn't want to reveal who his backup QB is; in another, he us raving about frosh Spencer Bausch. Can wing it, but sounds like he can also be rattled.
  • 69aggie
    No Blue and Gold game this year? Or did I just miss something?
  • movielover
    Will we wear our slick whites? The Bears will dress in blue.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Good answers everyone.

On a similar note, I think it's kind of dumb when we chant "state school" when we play Cal Poly, but somewhat hypocritically I will chant it to fans of J Street Tech.
  • agalum
    From Odds Shark

uxjtcbmj2k4e4xql.png
  • SharkBait
    Redshirt frosh long snapper.movielover

That redshirt frosh long snapper was the #1 ranked long snapper in his class: The #1 Long Snapper, Slater Zellers, Commits to Cal
  • 69aggie
    A 20 point underdog? Why even show up?
  • NCagalum
    ah, is it just me or shouldn't the computer generated predictions be in integer form?
  • agalum
    calstadium.pngDecided to take the bus from the ARC to the game and save the hassle of traffic and parking. Was hoping to bring a small back pack to store personal items, but apparently they are not allowed. For those going to the game, here is what they allow:

https://calbears.com/images/2019/8/14/19FB_Cal_securityscreeningdiagram.png
    Attachment
    calstadium (426K)
  • MTBAggie

Stanford had a very similar policy last season. There were a few really upset people outside of the metal detectors that weren't aware. We're sitting in Section EE (which has bench back seats). When I saw the notice about no "Cushions with metal hardware," I made sure my dad had a seat with some back support.

Getting fired up. Taking my son and his buddy for his 12th bday, and meeting up with my dad, brother and nephew. Should be a good time!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!