• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are coming off one of their most disappointing performances of the year in their loss to UC Riverside on Thursday. To say the Ags could not hit the broad side of a barn on offense is a big understatement to say the least. Until the final minute, the Aggies were shooting in the low 20% range but managed to go on a frantic run the last minute to make the score look close when it was anything but a close game. It was one of the most inept offensive performances by a Aggie team in a long time and that can't happen again if they are going to be competitive in the Big West.

Although the Ags have won the last 7 straight against the Matadors, CSUN will be a big challenge for the Aggies tonight. The Matadors are loaded with athletic transfers and many Big West observers think they are still a contender for the title even though they have not lived up to expectations so far.

The Aggies, on the other hand, are a bit of an enigma since they have been so inconsistent in many games this season. Was the game against Riverside just a fluke where the rim had a lid on it and the Ags let that affect their defensive play as well? We'll get to see how if they can bounce back tonight with some renewed energy and determination.

Hopefully, will showcase a much better effort on ESPNU tonight at 7:30 pm: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Looks like the Aggie game will be in progress before ESPNU starts the broadcast since the Texas Tech @ Oklahoma game is running a bit long. You can probably start watching on the ESPNU online stream if that happens and then pick it up on tv after the Texas Tech @ Oklahoma game ends.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    7:40 tip, ESPN app until TTU-OU is over.
  • BlueGoldAg
    They just announced the Aggie game will start on ESPN3 online stream until the TTU-OU game is over.
  • BlueGoldAg
    8 minutes into the game and the Aggies' mighty offense has scored 4 points!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    How long of an extension did we give Les again? This is embarrassing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags trail by one 31-30 at the half. Ugly basketball game with 26 TO's by both teams. JT and White both have 3 fouls and, with Garrison Goode injured, we're thin. Onybalu and Funtarov getting some PT.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Teresa Gould locked Les in for 5 more years.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Chima picks up his 3rd and 4th fouls in less than 30 seconds into the 2nd half. Then the Ags commit more fouls and continue to turn the ball over. This is really awful basketball!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggies overcome an awful first half and nip CSUN 71-68 behind Bryton Lemar's 20 points. The Ags were able to win with Chima on the bench most of the game in foul trouble and then with JT and Henn also fouling out.

It was ugly in the first half but the Ags gutted this one out.

Good job Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'll take a road win. Good job Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    I listened to Coach Les in the post-game interview and he talked about how proud he was of how, after last night's debacle and not getting off to a good start in this game, how the Ags just refused to lose. I've got to agree with him too. As an avid fan, I get frustrated when the game gets really sloppy and we saw quite a bit of that in these two games, but the Ags did not hang their heads and just flat out ground out the win. It tells you something about the character of the team and that's great to see.

Good job Ags and Coach Les!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I don't know if I've ever seen coach Les smile as much as he was after this win. He was clearly proud of the effort of his team.

Abdominal strain for Goode. Hopefully he gets well soon.
  • DrMike
    that was both fun and agonizing to watch! the first 10 minutes looked like the Cal game where we were a bit overwhelmed with their length and quickness on defense. once we settled, and got the score to a point at the half, it felt like we could win IF we didn't revert to turnovers. good news is we handled the ball much better in the second half. back news? moneke's two fouls in about 30 seconds, both poor choices on him. but, they held on and should have won easily. a couple of misses on easy shots, some missed free throws and a couple of questionable calls (the one on Henn?) had us on our heels, but they pulled it out with some clutch plays (and weird last play by CSUN). nice bounce back.

Les seems much more calm on the bench this year, and the team seems to be responding by playing with a bit more freedom/flow on offense. if we handle the ball, we get good shots.

a couple observations watching the game, both from my wife:
    1) announcing was not great. you'd have thought CSUN was 20-0 and we were 2-18, the way they talked about them getting back into a tie for the conference lead (they seemed to have penciled in a 'W' for CSUN early on and never waivered. they also called CSUN 'C-SUN' something like a million times. maybe one or two 'Matadors', never a 'Northridge'. after the millionth 'C-SUN', my wife said i'm glad their campus isn't in Covina.

2) she was enraged that they played the Andy Griffin theme song when SIlar shot free throws. it would be one thing if the students did it (if they had students show up), but over the PA? that's weak. in this PC world of ours, Silar was the only player on the floor that they could get away with joking about one's appearance like that! Red-head lives matter! She was calmed by the fact that he calmly knocked down all his free throws in the clutch! CLASS > NO CLASS.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Like you said, DrMike, this was a great bounce back not only for starting off slow but for coming off a forgettable outing at Riverside also. I would have thought this road series would have gone just the opposite way with a win at UCR and a loss at CSUN.

The Matadors are as talented as anyone in the league. Reggie has loaded up on experienced transfers but I don't think they are playing up to the talent level that they have. On the other hand, Les does a good job of getting the most out of the players he has. They always play hard and, for the most part, play smart. The thing I like the most about them is that they seem to be very resilient and don't hang their heads too often. If we can hold serve at home and get at least a split on the road, we can be near the top come the end of league.

I'm sure Siler has heard it all over the years about his carrot top and I'm sure he gets a good bit of trash talk at the college level. His tough play at CSUN was key for us. He's a scrappy competitor as is Mikey Henn. They both bring a blue collar mentality to the game for us.

Hawai'i will be a challenge on Saturday. It's always tough to win on the island but I wouldn't bet against us in this one.
  • Toke69
    Last night I watched Hawaii beat CSUN on a made trey with .9 seconds left. Hawaii has caught fire lately, beating both Long Beach State and the Matadors with last second flurries. They have a transfer from UCLA named Noah Allen who after struggling most of the season scored 25 against the Beach and 30 against Northridge. If the Aggies don't figure out a way to contain him they will be in for a tough night.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This will be a tough game for sure. It's always difficult to win on the island. The Ags are generally pretty solid defensively but the offense is very inconsistent. We need to play well on both ends of the floor to keep this one competitive.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!