• agalum
    In one week we’ll see how our Ags compete with a legit FBS team. We have a tough schedule, and many of you have a knack for analyzing match ups. We have 12 games this year. What’s a realistic prediction for the season?

I’m thinking 8-4.

@ Cal
    @ San Diego
    Lehigh
    @ NDSU
    Montana
    @ N. Dakota
    Poly
    @ SUU
    Weber
    -bye-
    @ Portland State
    Montana State
    @ J Street Tech
  • AggieFinn
    @ Cal. L
    @ San Diego W
    Lehigh W
    @ NDSU L
    Montana W
    @ N. Dakota W
    Poly W
    @ SUU W
    Weber W
    -bye-
    @ Portland State W
    Montana State W
    @ J Street Tech W
  • AggieFinn
    Getting Griz, the Bobcats and the Wildcats at home is huge....
  • CA Forever
    I have the same predictions as Finn. I think we'll be seeing postseason again.
  • Zander
    I'm predicting 9-3 with losses to Cal, NDSU, and MSU. (You could easily swap Weber in for the last one though).

I do think there's a scenario in which we go undefeated. (Run game improvesdue to experience at the line and RB, defense goes from average to above average). But we're going to be underdogs in two games for sure and I imagine the odds may catch up to us somewhere along the line in conference play.
  • AggieFinn
    Regarding the Wildcats...saw Weber vs. Maine, and the Cats were dreadful...at home...in the playoffs...on national tv. They got EWU and EB on game 1 of the new era, at home, and only put up 14. They managed to beat Montana State...who had a LB playing QB...at home.

I don't think the Wildcats can keep pace with the Ags in Davis....they have a strong young RB, but he won't be anything compared to what Kal and the Bison put on the field, graduated a lot of talent...Montana State or Montana @ home seem to be the only killers coming into town...Montana has revenge on the brain, and they'll be looking to make a mark for future Griz generations...the only question is, does Hauck really have Montana on an upward trend?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    @ Cal (L 0-1)
    @ San Diego (W 1-1)
    Lehigh (W 2-1)
    @ NDSU (L 2-2_
    Montana (L 2-3)
    @ N. Dakota (W 3-3)
    Poly (W 4-3)
    @ SUU (L 4-4)
    Weber (W 5-4) *This one is a pick-em
    -bye-
    @ Portland State (W 6-4)
    Montana State (W 7-4)
    @ J Street Tech (W 8-4)
  • aggie08
    L @ Cal
    W @ San Diego
    W Lehigh
    L @ NDSU
    W Montana
    W @ N. Dakota
    W Poly
    W @ SUU
    L Weber
    -bye-
    W @ Portland State
    W Montana State
    W @ J Street Tech

i have us going 9-3 and getting back into the playoffs. Hoping we win at least two out of three at home vs Montana, Weber and MSU
  • ucdavisaggie05
    10-2 or 9-3. Things could get crazy with possible outcomes in Berkeley and Fargo.
  • PortlandAggie

Same:

@ Cal (L 0-1)
    @ San Diego (W 1-1)
    Lehigh (W 2-1)
    @ NDSU (L 2-2_
    Montana (L 2-3)
    @ N. Dakota (W 3-3)
    Poly (W 4-3)
    @ SUU (L 4-4)
    Weber (W 5-4) *This one is a pick-em
    -bye-
    @ Portland State (W 6-4)
    Montana State (W 7-4)
    @ J Street Tech (W 8-4)
  • Riveraggie

What’s the reason to be pessimistic at 1-10 Southern Utah? Just expect a letdown somewhere?
    That will be a disappointing season, losing to every team ranked higher than us but getting upset twice, including a team picked near bottom of BigSky
  • BaseballAtDobbins

I forgot they were so bad last year. I based it off of previously challenging SUU teams. Certainly winnable in that case.
  • PortlandAggie

No insight, just a feeling based off past games @ SUU
  • agalum

Men against boys, lol.
  • NCagalum
    Remember the last time UCD played NDSU in Fargo? Aggies won. That was 2005 and NDSU has been much better since. I am hoping for a good showing there - a victory is not out of the question - I will be there in Fargo. I explained to my wife how rabid they are there about their Bizzzzzon and she asked if they might beat me up if I root too much for the ags. She is going with. I am thinking they are hospitable midwesterners. And I will try not to be obnoxious in their house. I respect them much more than Montana.
  • AggieFinn

I saw a Ron Gould team beat the living piss out of the Thunderbirds in Cedar City...I forget the year...ran all over them. 6thman was with me, before he retired to Texas.
  • Zander
    His first season we won something like 21-3. SUU couldn't stop the power run so they were helpless against the Gould offense if I remember right.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I have always wondered what happened to 6th. He was the mainstay of the forum and then one day it seemed like he just disappeared.
  • Kerberos
    @ Cal L (0-1) Ags almost pull off the upset against a Cal team looking past UCD at #13 UW

@ San Diego W (1-1) San Diego hasn't defeated UC Davis in over a decade.

Lehigh W (2-1) Honestly don't know that much about this team other than they went 3-8 last year.

@ NDSU L (2-2) NDSU is by far the toughest team on our schedule and the travel to Fargo + Fargodome noise makes this game much less winnable. Hoping that we just keep it close, but can also easily see us getting run out of town similar to EWU last year.

Montana W (3-2) Ags gut out a win against a Montana team seeking revenge, energized by the first electric gameday environment of the UCD Health Stadium era -- students are back in Davis, they remember the playoff game, and they want to build on that atmosphere in 2019.

@ N. Dakota W (4-2) This is a trap game. Difficult travel back to North Dakota against a team that just completely revamped its offense probably for the better. Ags nonetheless find a way to win and escape Grand Forks with momentum heading into the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe.

Cal Poly W (5-2) Ags defeated Cal Poly 52-10 last year, and that was in SLO.

@ SUU W (6-2) Going to Cedar City is always difficult but Ags have too many weapons for SUU to make this competitive.

Weber State W (7-2) I'm predicting that the 2019 WSU team will be a disappointment compared to the 2018 playoffs version, and by the time we get to this point in the season the Cats will be visiting Davis as underdogs.

-bye-

@ Portland State W (8-2) PSU is going through their own Gould era, with Bruce Barnum who has really not given the program much success other than his first year. They'll probably be improved in 2019 but will still finish in the middle or bottom of the Big Sky.

Montana State L (8-3) Of all the winnable (as in, not Cal or NDSU) games we might lose, I think MSU is the most likely one. Like Montana, they're traditionally a strong program that can compete on any given Saturday. This will be a close game likely with huge playoff implications, and I can see it going either way.

@ Sac State W (9-3) New HC, same annual tradition of losing to UC Davis.

if we go 9-3 with losses to Cal, NDSU, and MSU, we'll be a lock for an at-large bid and likely share the conference crown once again. That would be a great (regular) season.
  • agalum

We had a “send off” tailgate with him before the big move to Texas. Many years of really fun tailgates and games with Finn, 6th, Dr. Mike, 05, and the wives. Heck, we even had one before the Hawaii game while 6th and his wife were on their honeymoon.

Finn, we need to text him a group photo from the tailgate at the Cal game.
  • PortlandAggie
    I think we still make the playoffs at 8-4. This is a prediction thread, not all of us will agree
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks, agalum. I wonder why he stopped posting any comments even though he moved? We have Aggie fans post here from across the country.
  • AggieFinn

He changed priorities in his life, and is now enjoying football in the South. The high school programs in Texas, let alone the college ones, are insane, I'm currently reading Friday Night Lights...it's now 30 years later, the fields are now ALL cathedrals. Really is something else.

Would love to see Abilene Christian or SFA on the schedule again...but maybe we can't even legally do that? I know there's some law about playing in a state that has certain state laws, ie, we can't travel or play there. Texas might be on that list.
  • Riveraggie
    Note that Cal is playing North Texas in two weeks.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    AB 1887 prohibits state funds used for travel to these 10 states: Alabama,
    Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas. I assume there are ways around it, like using private funding instead of state funding for games in these states, but I'm not sure that makes the most sense for our program.
  • Riveraggie
    Oh No! . Frisco is in Texas
    But maybe we should boycott the championship game anyway because of the name of the town.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm assuming for bowl games, or NCAA tournament games, there are alternate forms of funding that will get us where we need to be. Let's hope we have to worry about travel to Frisco.
  • movielover
    They also play Ole Miss.
  • Riveraggie
    Reminds me that I saw Phil Ochs sing “Here’s to the State of Mississippi” at the old coffeehouse in East Hall. The end of the 60s was hard on Phil. He went from Carnegie Hall to the Coffee House.
  • movielover
    OK, where was East Hall located? Did you like it?

I prefer the oldercwood-shingled, CA inspired architecture. Cement buildings - blah!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!