• Riveraggie
    We moves the ball but had a hard time getting into the end zone. I think that’s common for football teams that rely on the pass. When the field gets short the defense has less to cover.
    We need to be more balanced. I know it seems like we should rarely run because we pass better but that’s not going to work against good defenses.
  • AggieFinn

Didn't Bob and Ron remedy this with that RPO game? Took a more mobile/option style QB...guys like Spencer. The proverbial Mad Cow Style Offense.
  • lucche
    A thing I see is when receivers drop passes, it usually means they hear footsteps, and are expecting a hard hit. These two things affect the receivers thought process instead on concentrating on catching the ball, but are getting ready to either run or take a hit. Eihter way, you have to give some of the credit to the defense.
  • Riveraggie
    I think the second to last year under Biggs we were pretty terrible running the ball. Tim Keane was our offensive line coach. We used the mad cow aka wildcat offense in spots. The following year they added a second offensive line coach who’s name I can’t recall. At the time they reported that we were doing more of what might be considered lateral blocking, pass blocking screens etc and the added coach fixed up some of the run blocking techniques or more vertical running plays. We had decent success, with Colton Silvera and others running the ball. Next year Biggs announced his retirement and the coach moved on to North Dakota. Ron Gould’s team then had more success with Manzaneras.
  • NCagalum
    left guard was jake Parks (60) at least from what I could see. May have moved folks around after Pettit injury.
  • Riveraggie
    Just going from the box score list of starters from the team site
    UCD - Offense
    # Player Pos.
    2 HARRELL, Jared WR
    6 CRAWFORD, Carson WR
    9 VAUGHN, Khris WR
    87 PREECE, Wes TE
    79 RICHARDSON, Kooper RT
    60 PARKS, Jake RG
    34 GILLIAM Jr., Ulonzo RB
    15 MAIER, Jake QB
    70 LAMSON, Colton LT
    65 FORD, Jordan LG
    74 PETTEK, Connor C
  • NCagalum
    my wife met the Bison punters brother down at the hotel pool and hot tub (I decided to watch Georgia - Notre Dame so was not there). She said the brother said that the punter had a hamstring issue. In any event seeing Whelan punt in a dome is a real treat. He can flat out jack them. A beauty to behold his boomers live. I think the problem on the big return of his first punt was that he simply out-kicked the coverage.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    There was also a block in the back that went uncalled.
  • MTBAggie
    But yet the refs picked up a pretty dinky block in the back against the Aggies later in the game...
  • ucdavisaggie05
    The officiating left much to be desired.
  • BlueGoldAg
    My confidence in continued ascension of Aggie football goes up every time I hear Hawk and his players talk....bright, articulate, humble. I couldn't be more proud of the coaches and players of this program.
  • AggieFinn
    An honest set of highlights, good viewing.

• movielover
    Thank you.

Question: what in the heck was the call against the Tehran Thomas touchdown? Am I forgetting some basic rule?
  • AggieFinn

The call was Tehran was beyond the line of scrimmage when he caught the ball (about a half yard). With all the extra linemen upfield (beyond the line of scrimmage) already it isn't a legal screen pass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ineligible_receiver_downfield

In gridiron football, an ineligible receiver downfield, or an ineligible man downfield, is a penalty called against the offensive team when a forward pass is thrown while a player who is ineligible to receive a pass is beyond the line of scrimmage without blocking an opponent at the time of the pass. A player is determined ineligible based on his position at the time of the snap. When the ball is snapped, the offense is required to have no more than eleven players on the field, out of whom only six are eligible. On most plays, the eligible receivers include the quarterback, running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, and wide receivers, while the ineligible receivers are offensive linemen, including the center, offensive guards, and offensive tackles.

The rule varies across different leagues. In college football, the NCAA allows ineligible receivers to be a maximum of 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage before the pass is thrown. The penalty in both the NFL and NCAA is 5 yards.
    The NCAA allows for an exception on screen plays, where the ineligible player is allowed to cross the line of scrimmage to go out and block when the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage.
  • AggieFinn

Maier almost made the play, nice little floater ball, the NDSU defensive line was all over the backfield, in his face, and surrounding the general area.
  • SochorField
    FG team was NAILS. Great to see them making bombs.
  • Riveraggie
    It may be an irrelevant difference but the call was offensive pass interference rather than ineligible man downfield. If Tehran caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage, pass interference would not apply. Someone was blocking a defender in the vicinity of Tehran catching the ball.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!