• 72Aggie
    Article in Bee that State of California will no longer pay for travel to Iowa after Iowa passed law prohibiting Medicare payments for gender transformation surgeries. Will that stop Aggie field hockey’s trip to Iowa City in early October where they are scheduled to play Rutgers and Iowa?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    The problem with California legislating this stuff is that it never ends. Regardless of how you feel about this particular issue, it's not illegal to prohibit it in Iowa. If the SCOTUS were to weigh in, like they did on Gay Marriage and DOMA, that would be different. CA could ban travel to a state that doesn't sign on to some sort of global warning legislation. I'm liberal leaning, I just think they are overreaching on these travel bans.
  • Zander
    My understanding was that the college sports thing was a side effect that wasn't necessarily considered that much during the passage of these bans. The idea, as much as I understood it, was to block state agencies from paying employees to go to conferences and such at these other states.

I also remember reading that perviously scheduled games are exempt, and there's some leeway in moving money around so ADs can claim donors are paying for the trips and not the state. But yeah, I'm wondering if it would make sense to have an exception for school teams
  • agalum
    Maybe we can pick up a few extra home games, lol.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!