37 Southeastern Louisiana Lions 24
    38 Yale Bulldogs 20
    39 Florida A&M Rattlers 18
    40T Virginia Military Institute Keydets 15
    40T Chattanooga Mocs 15

Most Significant Win: Sac State Hornets
    Most Significant Loss: Towson Tigers
  • BlueGoldAg
    The writing is on the wall; we need quality wins and, likely, need to win out to make the playoffs.
  • NCagalum
    ...So close in Fargo .... that would have made a huge difference in polls. Need to win out. Weber, Montana State and Sac would all be quality wins.
  • SloStang
    Weber State, Montana State and Sac State would all be quality wins. I think by the end of the year we may find that Sac State might be the toughest. They always have had good athletes. The difference this season is they now have good coaching to get the most out of those athletes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree as well that the coaching is the biggest difference this year at Sac State. They're always had a lot of speed and athletic ability but they have often been unfocused and undisciplined. The talent is there again but with discipline as well.

They're recruiting pool is much larger than us and Poly since they have much lower academic admission requirements. I've always felt that Sac is a program that could really take off if they could just get good coaching and create an culture of discipline and pride. That might just be happening.
  • MTBAggie
    are the admission standards that much different between Cal Poly and Davis? I don't disagree with you about Sac State, but feel like lumping Cal Poly and Sac State together is a very unfair comparison.
  • CA Forever
    He was lumping CP with Davis
  • DrMike
    the minimum requirements at Poly are the same as Sac -> both CSU's. question is does either school require more than the minimum for their student athletes. but, if you qualify at Sac (Fresno, San Jose, etc), you qualify at Poly. harder to get into Poly for a student, but same minimum qualifications.

UC's have a higher minimum standard than the CSU's. again, question is do we take kids who only meet the minimum (basically a 3.0 in the 'core classes') or require more.
  • Riveraggie
    If as has been reported our admission standards are more rigorous than Cal or UCLA due to campus policies, I don’t think Cal Poly should be lumped in with us. I haven’t followed admission requirements of late but UCs used to require specific high school course work which state colleges do not. If we require football recruits to meet standard admission criteria, and don’t waive those requirements then even students with good GPAs might not be in our pool
  • Zander
    just checked the UC website, it looks unchanged from when I was an applicant. 15 required courses with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the courses. If every recruit meets these requirements then that's definitely a filter to ensure that players are at least able to pass the coursework here.
  • Riveraggie
    Note that the required courses are college prep, so if perchance someone took a single English class that was “remedial” in his four years, he wouldn’t qualify.
    All it takes is a bad counselor.
  • MTBAggie
    Whoops, completely read that wrong before my coffee this morning...
  • Riveraggie
    JC transfers are another area where UC has higher requirements. Only a subset of junior college coursework is transferable to a UC.Only courses that have a UC equivalent are transferable. Unless the student plans from the start to transfer to UC he may find that he loses credit for much of his JC work. Not as true of of transferring to a state college, where pretty much any course that’s not purely recreational will count.
  • NCagalum
    Don’t care what the administrators call the band - it will always be the Cal Aggie Band to me. And at a time when Hawk is resurrecting the CA logo - they revert. It’s really pretty hilarious how the admins think a name change solves all problems.
  • NCagalum
    yes Sac Is looking good. Hard to imagine after last year when they were pretty awful. Kevin Thompson is playing well and their D is pretty stout. The Montana game (in Sac) should be interesting/telling.
  • DrMike
    they got derailed by injury last year. they lost a TON of starters on defense, and Thomson after (i think) 4 games. that, and i think they gave up a bit on Sears. They are playing alot of young guys -> maybe fruits of that big signing class they had the same year as ours.
  • movielover
    Sears recruits? That has to hurt (Coach Sears).
  • movielover
    Freshmen Ornelas and Babb impressive!
  • DrMike
    unfortunately Ornelas got injured going up for a long pass and missed much of the 2nd half. hopefully just a minor thing (like a hip pointer from landing on the turf)
  • howard in nyc
    I can't believe I hadn't noticed the 'Club Fred' helmet sticker this year, in the CP game recap video above.
  • movielover
    And for anyone there, did it look like we could comfortably fit another 1-2-3,000 standing room only tickets?
  • Aggie57
    BlueGoldAg- there were plenty of seats available on the student side toward the end zones. Looked like at least another 1,000+ could have filled those seats. Didn’t see any comments in this stream about the new announcer and sideline guy that replaced Kat... I thought both were super and added great energy. Overall fan experience is great with one exception: long lines for beer and food. Still not sure why they haven’t been able to fix that...otherwise outstanding.
  • DrMike
    I like the new PA guy, but I prefer Kay to the new guy. He’s a little too low key for me. I stopped by the beer garden on the south end and that was quick; probably mid first quarter
  • DrMike
    yes; there was an article about it last week before the game
  • movielover
    Thanks. Still covering Aggie hoops.
  • DrMike
    not sure if he will still do basketball. New guy, Scott Moak, is a former Ag (KDVS announcer) who is the King’s PA announcer so he’ll have conflicts
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!