• Russ Bowlus
    Did I miss a formal announcement? New recruits being pictured holding mirror-gold helmets with a script Davis on them. Hmm. Visible in the lockers are also some blue helmets with player numbers on them. Hmmmm.

Thoughts?
  • CA Forever
    I think the mirrored gold helmets with the script Davis are spiffy. Are they traditional or something that Davis would usually go for? No, but I have no problem with updating our look a little bit, as long as we don't go overboard like Oregon or anything like that.

Also we had the numbered blue helmets this last season, no?
  • CA Forever
    From this picture from UCD commit Devon King, we can also see a white helmet that I have never seen before.

• Russ Bowlus
    Hmm. Not a fan of the white helmet. I do like the non-shiny gold w/ script Davis, though. (Y)
  • ucdavisaggie05
    We do have white pants in the wardrobe - the white helmet would look good in a "storm trooper" look.
  • movielover
    Is it 6 helmet options now?
  • Bige70
    I'm old and as a result, prefer the old-fashioned look, but I understand several alternative uniform options is actually important to "kids these days." If they win 6+ games each year, they can wear whatever they want.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I draw the line at the neon green that Baylor's MBB team trots out there sometimes.... :D
  • movielover
    Oh the options. Wait until players combine our new uni's with neon shoes and the pink - fight cancer - socks!
  • Zander
    Maybe it's because I'm not plugged in to our football history, but I think the new uniform combinations starting with the blue from the last few years look decent and could have a place in the rotation if used judiciously. If recruits like them then that's a bonus.

Obviously the Causeway/Horseshoe game and Homecoming should have the classic look, and I think the Davis script helmet works well for that. For the other games though -- particularly DII/nonconference games before school starts -- why not experiment? The team can wear whatever it wants if it wins games. Same way I feel towards the man bun vibe for Basketball.

All-white would be a nice look for away games and is something that's been requested by this forum for several years now. Saving the classic gold-white-gold look for a few away outings but allocating a few games for all-white and blue-white-white would be fine with me.
  • Zander

I think we've had 6 helmet designs make an appearance over the last few years (including the three in the picture) but I thought some were just the plain gold helmets with stickers added, or repaints of previous helmets that have yet to make a reappearance.

What I remember: (* indicates I haven't seen it recently and assume it to be temp or phased out)

Gold horseshoe logo*
    Gold block CA logo*
    Blue numbered
    Gold script 'Davis'
    Mirror script 'Davis'
    White horseshoe logo
  • aggie6thman
    Sign of the times. How many former players pre-2000 went on a recruiting trip and saw a table full of uniforms, cleats, and other assorted gear?

SA's want that stuff.
  • CA Forever
    I wonder if with the new helmets we can get updated jerseys with the 1 font logo? Also I wonder if the program has considered putting names on the back of the jerseys. Again, it's a change that some people might not like but these things are important to the recruits.
  • NewGuy
    Player's names looked good on James Madison (JMU) - FCS Champions - jerseys!
  • CA Forever
    Yep. I wouldn't mind having the names there. I think the players like it and it would help out when watching the games online as to who the guys are (I live on the east coast and don't have time to memorize the entire rosters numbers). I just know there are some people who are traditionalists that might be upset about it. I think Dr. Blue is trying to modernize the program though, wouldn't be surprised if we do see it in the near future.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There is an excellent picture of all 3 of the Aggie helmets on Coach Nurse's twitter page: https://twitter.com/CoachWesNurse
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!

More Discussions