• Russ Bowlus
    Game notes are up: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/11/7/womens-basketball-road-battle-at-montana-state-tips-off-2019-20-season.aspx

AGGIES BY THE NUMBERS: UC Davis returns 43 percent (989 of 2,278) of its points, 58 percent (721 of 1,236) of its rebounds, 37 percent (185 of 504) of its assists, 45 percent of its field goals (362 of 811), 43 percent of its three-pointers (112 of 263), and 39 percent of its free throws (153 of 393), from a season ago. What does it all mean? We don't know, but numbers are fun.
  • abridge
    Montana State was voted by coaches and media to be the #1 team in Big Sky. How the Ags fare against them will be a marker. Montana State puts a premium on defense. Will the Ags be able to shoot from the outside to open up the lane? We're not a big team and they're still blending. Should be an interesting contest.

Here are the game notes from Montana State

Game is going to be streamed on Big Sky TV on a device near you.

I'm liking this team. We didn't see Stobbart shoot from the outside at all during the exhibition games. I'm thinking she'll need to drain a few tonight.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It will be interesting to see what Jen and her staff have put together after losing 3 of the best players the program has ever had. I expect it will take some time to get everyone firing on all cylinders together.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Last year's team started out a little wonky, too, let's remember.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd forgotten about that. It was surprising how they started out losing their first 3 games but going on to end up 25-7 wasn't too shabby though!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    If i remember correctly, Coach Gross played around with the lineup early on last year (not necessarily the starting lineup, but minutes and combinations off the bench). I imagine we'll see something similar this year as she tries to figure out who needs to be on the court with whom.

Should be a good contest tonight. Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    Any word on who redshirts? Any guesses? I guess Jen has some time to decide, but I would still bet Kenedy probably sits out this year so she can strengthen and develop into the “next Morgan”!
  • BlueGoldAg
    It would be nice to have another Morgan at some point! Our 3 post players this year are very different from Morgan though and Jen will need to find a way to play to their strengths. None of them are as agile and mobile as Morgan was. She was exceptionally quick especially with her spin moves and could score with either hand. Jen and her staff have a history of developing good post players though so it will be fun to watch our posts grow.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Both Jones and Svanholm have Morgan's build and length--unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see them move since Svanholm's sitting (obviously) and Jones was sick for the exhibition game I went to.

Opening day; am excite! :)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    My guess on the redshirts are Svanholm (mandatory) and Lily, with Jones being a possible. That would leave us with only Gibbs as a true backup to Stobbart (which is why Jones is "if" for me). But, for a lot of teams we play against, I think we could get away with Konrad, Hall and Bessolo (all listed as 6'0") along the front line. Heck, throw in Song at 5'11" and Gray at 5'10" and that's a pretty strong lineup without a true post player.

If you didn't watch either of the exhibition games, definitely look out for Campbell Gray. A true freshman who does not play like a freshman, a very poised and confident player. She and Trpcic will form a lethal combo at the point.

Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    All points made are very valid. I would add that Kenedy is so athletic that she could (with the great coaching we have) develop some of Morgans best moves. But it will take some time. So: redshirt? Also. Not to take anything away from my home town girl, Morgan, for all of her offensive skills, she was not an exceptional rebounder. I would say maybe average for her height, but not at all dominant. This is where I think the European girls may add a new dimension. The Euro league U18-20 games are hard nosed very physical encounters and are not for the faint of heart in the paint. So Svanholm, Jones and Lily should be an exciting trio to watch play even if they do not have Morgan’s offensive skill set (yet).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ragged first quarter for the Aggies and they trail 19-12. 5 TO's and shooting 30%.

Pluto TV is terrible...cuts away and hangs up a lot...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags down 25-12 with 8:40 to go in the 2nd.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Wow we really need to practice our layups
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well that was a complete mess of a half of basketball. Sloppy on offense and essentially no defense. Ags down 48-28 at the half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    haven’t seen so many missed open shots and poor decisions on offense in a long time. And the defense was not aggressive at all. Rough
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lose 77-65. Nice comeback from 28 down to get within 8 in the second half after a miserable first half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    hopefully learned a little tonight.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Followed the game on the stat-tracker from our date night. Disappointing start to the season, naturally, but good to see Toole continue to step up to be a go-to player and good to see the team fight back in the second half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's interesting that both the men and the women weren't ready to really get after with energy and intensity in their first games. The KDVS announcer, Greg Wong, said he'd never seen Jen Gross as "animated" as she was with her team near the end of the first half and early in the third. I think the team got the message...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!