• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies head south to Fresno State to take the Bulldogs for the first game between these two schools in over 30 years. Hopefully, the Ags will start the game with the energy and defensive intensity that they finished with in their loss at Montana State. The Aggies dug themselves a hole too big to get out of in the first 25 minutes of that game but, to their credit, they rallied from 28 points down in the 3rd quarter to get within 8 midway through the 4th. They'll need to start strong and maintain their defensive intensity in order to make a game of it against the Bulldogs.

OPENING TIP: For the first time in more than three decades, two schools separated by only 189 miles will meet on the court this week as the UC Davis women's basketball team heads south down Highway 99 to take on former Big West Conference member Fresno State in a midweek tilt at the Save Mart Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

GAME 2: UC Davis (0-1) at Fresno State (1-0)
    WHEN: Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019 at 6 p.m. PT
    WHERE: Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif.
    RADIO: KDVS 90.3 FM (PxP: Greg Wong)
    STREAMING VIDEO: Mountain West Network

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/11/11/womens-basketball-aggies-bulldogs-renew-rivalry-after-long-layoff.aspx
  • Russ Bowlus
    Aggie social media noting that Svanholm is headed back to Denmark for some games on the Danish national team. :up:
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Seems like a great opportunity for Svanholm to get time on the court in meaningful games during her mandatory red shirt year. Hopefully that international experience will help her step right into a high contributing position next year for the Ags.

Of course this is nowhere near a must win game for the ags (last year's squad lost to Montana and Port St early on and was still arguably the best team in aggie wbb history), but it is important to see some improvement from opening night. Fresno is coming off a clobbering of SLO by 27 (although SLO lead at half), lead by freshman twin guards. The ags need a leader to step up, perhaps Toole and/or Hall, to take control of the game when things start to go a bit south. The Eaton's were excellent at that last year.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Frenso's Fr twin guards, Hanna and Haley Cavinder, practically beat Poly single handedly on the road in their first collegiate game. They scored 40 of the Bulldogs 79 points on a combined 15-32 shooting overall.

Reading about them made me think about how special it was for us to have had the Eaton twins for 4 years. I wonder if they were on the recruiting radar of the Aggie coaching staff? They would have been a perfect replacement for the Eatons!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie website says this is the first time these two teams have met in over 30 years. I found some additional historical information about the previous games on the Fresno State website:

History with UC Davis

Fresno State is 5-1 in the all-time series with UC Davis but the two sides have not played since Dec. 16, 1985 in Fresno.
    In the last matchup, the Bulldogs defeated the Aggies 93-48. All 12 'Dogs who saw the court scored
    while four reached double figures. Anne Menke led the team with a season-high 11 points.
    The Bulldogs have scored at least 75 points in each of its five wins in the series.
    Fresno State is 3-0 against the Aggies at home.

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2019/11/11/womens-basketball-bulldogs-host-uc-davis-in-home-opener.aspx
  • Zander
    9-8 at the first timeout, the the Aggies only just took the lead.

Hall and Song really add a lot off the bench.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    much better intensity from the Ags. Up 17-8 after 1
  • Zander
    17-8 after the quarter, Fresno just couldn't buy a bucket for a 5-minute stretch. Aggie defense and rebounding has improved, though I expect Fresno will eventually start making threes
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah they did miss quite a few open shots.
  • Zander
    Aside from the necessary and overly frequent replays, I'm really liking the production value of the stream too. Very clear, synced audio with the feed, with only one hiccup so far. This is how you do a stream.
  • Zander
    Fresno went on a 10-0 run and now it's 23-22. Aggies had a crushing possession with three missed field goals and two missed free throws that really halted their momentum
  • Oldbanduhalum
    their frequent replays is driving me nuts though. We almost miss entire offensive plays because they’re showing us a straightforward layup again
  • Zander
    Doesn't help when our average possession seems to be 5 seconds before throwing the ball away.

Fresno leads 28-25 at the half on a massive run. Aggies were forcing shots and just had some bad luck getting stuff to drop.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That was a tale of 2 quarters. We completely outplayed them in the 1st and they did the same to us in the second. Jen needs to light a fire under her team at halftime. Fresno turned up the energy and intensity in the second quarter and the Aggies fell back on their heels. Way too many wide open and blown shots 2 feet from the rim also by the Ags.

The MW replays are HORRIBLE! It completely destroys the viewers engagement with the flow of the game. I can't believe they do that!
  • Zander
    Down 10 at the end of the 3rd. Fresno's dominance continues
  • Zander
    61-56 fresno with Aggies at the line. Much better offense this quarter
  • Zander
    61-58 Fresno with Aggie ball! 3:41 left

I'm starting to suspect everyone paying attention is already watching though...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    well that was better. Still need to tighten up the offense as we turned the ball over way too much. And Hall is still looking rusty. But overall a better effort. Plus Konrad is quickly becoming my favorite player. Just love the way she hustles and her shot is so much better this year.
  • MTBAggie
    I was trying to watch, but was busy making dinner and playing a few mean games of Zingo with my daughter. That 61-58 3-point deficit seemed to go on for a few minutes. I thought they had a chance, but the Bulldogs slowly pulled away.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought the team played better overall tonight than they did at Montana. Too bad we had such a let down in the second quarter. The Ags have to step up and match the intensity of their opponents and that didn't happen in the second quarter. The Bulldogs upped their defensive pressure and simply put the Ags on their heels after we had a nice lead at the end of the 1st quarter. I thought we played pretty well on both sides of the ball for 3/4 of the game but, against quality teams, that's not enough.

As you said, Hall is not quite up to her normal speed yet but she'll get there. She's a competitor. We're not getting much offensively from Stobbart. Hopefully, she'll come around because we don't have a post presence at the moment. She's getting boards though.

There's a lot of room for improvement but I think this team will improve quickly as they get more time playing together under pressure.

And, I'll say it again. Those constant Mountain West video replays during live action is HORRIBLE! The viewer can't follow the action because of all the stupid interruptions...
  • BlueGoldAg
    We had a couple of chances to tie or take the lead but missed a 3 and an open 12 footer in the lane on back to back possessions.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The true Freshmen, guard Cavinder twins for Fresno are outstanding. They combined for 41 points to go along with 21 from Utti. That was the bulk of their scoring. We had no answer for stopping Utti. She was 8-11 from the fieId. I sure wish Jen had recruited those twins to be Aggies!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!