• AggieFinn
    Well, here we go...
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm holding my breath....
  • agalum
    Through the years there have been plenty of times Suc had the better record and we've knocked them off. They have a long history of self destruction when playing the Ags.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think this may be the most talented Sac team we've ever played and Troy Taylor has created a much more disciplined culture in the program. What he has done in his first year at the helm is remarkable.
  • agalum

Not disagreeing, we will see if it is sustainable. Hoping the fellas put together their best game of the year. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    i looked at the game notes some time back, and saw alot of younger guys (non seniors) starting. of course, Thomson is listed as a Junior, which makes no sense to me.
  • AggieFinn
    The biggest thing is belief, I just don't see the belief or spark on the field this season. So many miscues and lack of clutch plays
  • movielover
    Montana was a complete puzzle, it was as if it were a Gould team first half.
  • DrMike
    this is probably our biggest FCS challange with the POSSIBLE exception of NDSU. Sac is good on both sides of the ball, and playing confident, smart football. That NAU comeback is the type of thing a team needs to get over the hump and make a run. on the positive side, our defense has played much better of late, outside of giving up timely (bad timing!) big plays. i think we can slow down Dotson, but a healthy Thomson with his receivers might be a bit too much.

can this be the game the offense puts together a complete game? it will have to if we want to win. I saw the odds at Sac -10. looking back, we've been underdogs in two games (NDSU and CAL), along with a pick-em (Weber). the two underdog games may have been our best games, vs the best opponents. is the third time a charm?
  • AggieFinn
    We compete in a shootout or get blown out. Can we steal some turnovers? It's all the defense should be trying for...get the ball back to the offense.
  • agalum
    Get ahead and put them away. Need a killer mentality which we have been missing
  • movielover
    We've had serious problems scoring in 4-5 big games. Unlikely to beat a top team scoring 14 or 20 points.

Speaking of QB Ken O'Brien, Sac State Coach Mattos I believe was very confident in his 8-1 Hornets in 1982. O'Brien led the Ags to a 51-6 victory before 12,700 at Toomey Field.
  • DrMike
    we really need all of our playmakers to rise up to the ocassion (besides Ulonzo, who has been a stud week in and week out).
  • BlueGoldAg
    n1893dvpfsf825yv.png

Rival coaches turn on the charm at Causeway Classic luncheon

By Bob Dunning

SACRAMENTO — What used to be a heated college football rivalry transitioned into a love fest as the head coaches of UC Davis and Sacramento State heaped praise upon one another at the annual Causeway Classic luncheon Thursday afternoon at Joe’s Crab Shack in Old Sacramento.

“Troy Taylor is a great coach and the Hornets have had a great year, a tremendous year,” said Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins of Hornet top man Troy Taylor.

Noted Taylor in response, “I’ve known Dan Hawkins for a long time and have followed his coaching career closely. This may sound like a strange thing to say at this luncheon, but I’m rooting for him and his success and all he’s done for the game.”

Read more here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/rival-coaches-turn-on-the-charm-at-causeway-classic-luncheon/
  • movielover
    Recent UCD Football Records & Maier-led Turnaraound

Coach Ron Gould - last 3 years
    2014 2-9
    2015 2-9
    2016 3-8
    3-Year Record: 7-26, .212

Coach Dan Hawkins - last 3 years
    2017 5-6
    2018 10-3, First FCS playoffs (1-1 in playoffs)
    2019 5-6
    3-Year Record: 20-15, .571

Did O'Brien start in 1980 (soph year)? Did Mo start as a Sophomore?
  • DrMike
    Ken started in 80; we were 7-2-1. 81, we were 6-4.
  • movielover
    Bob Dunning has written about the rough start in 1981, including a schalacking, and a vigorous post-game discussion between Sochor and O'Brien on the field ... and then we won 17 or 18 straight?

70s Aggies - Did Moroski start 2 or 3 years?
  • DrMike
    we started 81 1-4. The last of those two losses were road losses at Humboldt (ending FWC winning streak at something like 35 in a row) and a 30-0 bestdown at Poly. Won the last 5 for a winning record and FWC title. 82 won 12 straight, so 17 in a row
  • 69aggie
    GOT AN EMAIL FROM AN OLD FRIEND (SAC ST. GRAD) IN SAC WHO HASN’T BEEN TO A SAC GAME IN 30+/- YEARS. HE’S GOING TOMORROW WITH A BUNCH OF FRIENDS HE CALLS “THE BANDWAGON BOYS”. OF COURSE HE EXPECTS TO WATCH A BLOWOUT BY SAC. WE SHALL SEE. I WENT WITH HIM TO THAT GAME 30+/- YEARS AGO AND THE AGGIES ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED THE HORNETS IN THEIR HOUSE. FUNNY HOW MEMORIES STAND THE TEST OF TIME. IF THE AGGIES CAN GET TO THOMPSON A FEW TIMES IT MIGHT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE AS HE IS ADMITTEDLY A GREAT QB, BUT VERY FRAGILE AS WELL AND HE IS PLAYING WITH A BAD BACK. I AM SURE THIS HAS BEEN NOTICED BY HAWKINS.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will be running into a fired up bunch of Hornet players and fans. Word around Sac is that this is the biggest game ever in their football history and it just so happens to be against their arch rival. They see this as a watershed moment in their program and a huge opportunity in becoming the D1 football powerhouse in the greater Sacramento area.

We were sitting among quite of few Hornet fans at the Causeway basketball game on Wednesday night and many of them were talking about how big the game was and how good the Hornets are. Two Hornet fans came after the first half and a sat in right front of us and one of them had a loud gutter mouth. The foul mouthed guy was talking about the football game too and told his friend that "we need to go...Sac is really good this year" and then something else derogatory about Davis. We finally got up and moved just so we didn't have to listen to his constant foul mouth and shouting.
  • agalum
    Two Hornet fans came after the first half and a sat in right front of us and one of them had a loud gutter mouth. The foul mouthed guy was talking about the football game too and told his friend that "we need to go...Sac is really good this year" and then something else derogatory about Davis. We finally got up and moved just so we didn't have to listen to his constant foul mouth and shouting.

I will never forget walking past their tailgate area when my kids were little. They were dressed in their Aggie gear and as we walked, the foul language that was directed at us was just terrible. They were a bunch of drunken fools.
  • DrMike
    This is their biggest game. Win and they win the Big Sky (at least tied) and possibly get a top 4 seed depending on how others do. Lose, and the title is gone and the seed drops toward a dreaded 7 or 8.

The two games we were expected to lose (and by double digits) might have been our most complete games. Our defense is better now and If we limit turnovers (had a few at Fargo) and maybe it’s our day.
  • 69aggie
    Do be careful in their parking lot. They will be very aggressive. A lot of alcohol going down, i think they still serve during the game. Bad news for us Aggie fans. Stay safe.
  • NCagalum
    I think Mo started 2 years. Jim Speck started in 76. Mo started in 77 and 78. Pretty sure about that as I was at UCD then.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!