• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will go in search of their first win of the season on Tuesday evening when they travel to McKeon Pavilion in Morga to take on the St Mary's Gaels. The Gaels hammered UCSB for their lone win of the year so far while dropping two close contests to Nevada and Wyoming. Like the Men's Basketball team, the women mine Australia and New Zealand for recruits and feature 3 players from those countries.

The young Aggies showed signs of their potential in the first 3 quarters of their game against Santa Clara before losing a 15 point lead in the 4th quarter and lose a heartbreaker 62-61 on this past Saturday in the Pavilion. The biggest challenge currently for the Aggies is to improve defensively. Last year's team allowed an average of 57 ppg compared to 71 ppg so far this year. The Ags lead the all-time series 14-12.

Topoff is set for 6:30 pm Tuesday and will be live streamed by West Coast Conference TV. Greg Wong will also have the PBP radio call on KDVS 90.3 FM.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I wonder if we'll start to see some additional shifting of the lineups. Stobbart didn't start against SC, but still played 24 minutes. Bessalo was firmly planted on the bench down the stretch, and once Toole fouled out, she wasn't put back in, leaving two freshman in there during crunch time (Gray and Turner). Not sure if there was a message there, or if the coach was just seeing how some of the new players reacted during critical moments. Lots of continued growth for this team.
  • Russ Bowlus
    It's kind of one of the "luxuries" of being a one-bid conference--additional time to figure this stuff out and get a new defense to gel together. Going to take a lot of communication and a lot of hustle, since Davis is relatively undersized at the post/low wing this year.

edit: though not any more than in previous years, really. I think it's a case of the rotations getting set and everyone learning how/where to be/who to talk to.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That's a good point about the one-bid conference. While we (well at least me), live and die with each win/loss, there may be other objectives for some of these early season games. Yes, I'm sure the staff and players want to win every game, but maybe you take a risk and sit your senior just to see how the freshman react, because eventually you'll need them in an important moment. The last game sucked, but maybe the players learn and grow from the loss. The games in Anaheim in March are really all that matter. And a win or loss in November isn't going to effect that.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I can't remember the exact occasion, but it wouldn't be the first time that Coach Gross has sat her seniors/starters down in a close game to make a point.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The live stream will be by West Coast Conference TV:

https://wccsports.com/watch/?id=6091873272001
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie defense is atrocious...all of the Gaels 12 points so far have come off layups in the paint...
  • BlueGoldAg
    19-5 Gaels with 2:17 to go in the first quarter. Gaels on a 17-0 run. Their first 8 baskets were layups.
  • movielover
    22-5. Yikes.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Well, that was a bloodbath. :grimace:
  • BlueGoldAg
    24-8 Gaels after the first. I thought the Aggie defense was bad in the 4th quarter of the Santa Clara game and this was worse. Nearly all the Gaels points are in the paint off layups and the Ags did not commit a single file which tells me they are not aggressively defending at all.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    tough one to watch. It looks like we are moving in slow motion.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's the lack of aggressiveness that is alarming...
  • Russ Bowlus
    Looking better after the second quarter. Still some work to do, obviously!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Thank god for Toole
  • BlueGoldAg
    Katie Toole is bringing it every game and she's the main reason we're back in this game. 38-31 Gaels at the half. SMC is shooting 59% largely due to our lack of interior defense.

I thought Emma Gibb gave us a few good minutes. She's not afraid to be physical. I think Jen should use her entire bench and play the players who are willing to be aggressive and play with high energy.
  • movielover
    Wonderful comeback!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Still inching back. Need to get more stops on D!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags tie it at 62 and then the Gaels go on an 8 point run.
  • Russ Bowlus
    The lock down defense is really what's missing at this point.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Good: Katie Toole, obviously. 30 points! Trpcic with 10 and 6 assists. Free throw shooting was excellent.

Bad: Shooting outside of TnT was ice cold.

Ugly: Out rebounded by twenty. :grimace:
  • BlueGoldAg
    When was the last time the women were 0-4?
  • Russ Bowlus
    06-07 team went 1-3 in their first four regular games, but actually lost one of their exhibition games against Sonoma State (eek). The one win was against SFSU.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jen has to find a way to shore up the defense especially defense in the paint. St Mary's scored 83 points on 60% overall shooting and allowing those kind of stats will not win you many games. By quarters the Gaels shot 73%, 43%, 58% and 64% respectively.

Thoughts:
    Katie Hall is playing at an extremely high level. She's fearless taking the ball to the hoop, stays in control with her shot near the rim and has a nice shot from distance.
    Konrad also willing to play physical. Hall is always a competitor but her shots are not dropping with any consistency.
    Trpcic was excellent handling the ball with speed and diving for loose balls...love her energy.
    Bessolo has a habit of committing silly fouls when she gets frustrated from missing a shot. She needs to show more senior leadership and poise by simply getting back on defense without fouling or hanging her head. She has the potential to be so good.
    Let the bench players have some PT and see who really wants to play hard on every play with energy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!