• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies play their 3rd game against a West Coast Conference foe tomorrow night at 6 pm when they face the San Francisco Dons in the Pavilion. The Ags, who own an 8-7 all time series edge versus the Dons, are still in search of their first win of the season.

The Aggies have played well in portions of all of their games so far this year but have yet to find a way to finish with a win. They dug themselves a big holes early in 3 of their 4 losses and, although they rallied to make a game of each of them, they were unable to get over the hump. Their other loss was was due to a 4th quarter collapse against Santa Clara.

Jen Gross and her staff have a lot of things to shore up in order to get this team back on track to the winning ways Aggie fans have come accustomed to with this program. Most notably, the Ags must stiffen up defensively in the interior. Teams have been scoring at will in the paint much too often particularly off the dribble drive. They did a much better job defensively in the second half of the St Mary's game so that was encouraging.

Katie Toole has been carrying the bulk of the scoring and has been setting the pace with her energy and aggressiveness. She leads the offense in every category: 19.3 ppg, 56% shooting overall, 66% from 3 and 92% from the line. I expect that teams will begin to concentrate on slowing her down which should open things up offensively for some other players to score.

Live stream by Big West TV and the radio PBP call will be by Miles Roach on KDVS 90.3 FM.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ags up 47-37 at half. Good overall effort. A couple of defensive breakdowns but overall not bad.
  • Russ Bowlus
    47-37 Aggies at half.

Aggies shooting well: 57% overall, 50% from deep, and 4-5 from teh line. Toole leading the scoring with 18. Aggie defense allowing the Dons to shot 44%--coach will want an improvement there.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Campbell Gray is looking more and more like a great pickup for the Aggies at point, by the way. A little bigger than Trpcic, and possible a touch slower, but the same confident ball handling. Trpcic, Gray, and Song each with three assists so far.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought that was the best first half of basketball the Ags have played this year. The offense is pushing the ball and looking to run at every opportunity. I like that since it gets the energy going with this team. We've been slow to get going in 3 of our previous 4 games. I like it that Jen is telling this team to run.

Defense is adequate but can be better. We need to make sure their 3 point shots are challenged.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yeah, the motion offense, driving the lane, and pushing the ball seem (at this point) to be the identity of this particular team.
  • Russ Bowlus
    54-41 at the 3Q media TO.
  • Russ Bowlus
    59-47 end of three. Aggie defense still doing well; offense had a cold spell. Bessolo has 12 now; Song and Konrad also knocking on the double-figure door.
  • Russ Bowlus
    65-48 with 7:27 remaining. Trpcic with a couple back-to-back fancy passes to wide-open teammates.
  • Russ Bowlus
    72-60 with 3:12 remaining. USF drawing a lot of fouls and making their foul shots to stay in the game.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    trpcic is definitely at her best when she can get out and run
  • Russ Bowlus
    77-67 with 24 seconds left; Aggie ball after a time out.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Toole and Bessolo the leading scorers for Davis: 25 and 15, respectively. Aggies shot 52% from the field.

Konrad the leading rebounder with 9, and Trpcic with a solid 7 assists.

USF ended up shooting 38% from the field, but went 15-18 from the FT line to keep themselves in teh game.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Overall, seems like a pretty complete game from the Aggies. Shooting went cold for a while, but they were able to step up their defense to compensate.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice win for the Ags from start to finish. I feel like this team is beginning to find their identity.

Where was Katie Toole last year? She has just exploded onto the scene this year. Last year she only averaged 8.4 minutes and 2.2 points per game. Did Jen overlook her potential last year?
  • Russ Bowlus
    My opinion is that last year's offense didn't favor her game.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I think Toole definitely deferred to the seniors last year. She certainly has emerged as the leader. Not sure I’ve seen an Aggie guard/wing who finishes drives as well as she does in a long time.
  • BlueGoldAg
    She also has a nice jumper from mid range to the 3 pointer. She looks so good this year it makes me think she just kind of went unnoticed last year with the focus on Morgan and the twins. She's very poised, aggressive and physically talented.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!