• zythe
    What would be the next logical step in expanding the seat capacity to the stadium?

Would that be 10K, 20K more?

I get it that we are not “there” yet, but we eventually will be. This will probably be a lot sooner than later.
  • DrMike
    I think until the performance center is complete and we can see what things look like on that end of the stadium, it will be hard to say what’s next. Anything more than 20k total seems too much. College attendance is trending down, hard to imagine a future where we’d need more than 20k on a regular basis
  • BlueGoldAg
    At some point Davis or Sac is going to become the big dog in the greater Sacramento area. The Sacramento area is growing like crazy and it is hungry for a competitive D1 football program on a bigger stage. One that can compete regularly with the likes of Nevada and Fresno and eventually even bigger programs. I hope we'll be that program and, if we are, we'll most definitely need a bigger stadium.
  • movielover
    The next logical step? Fill what we have, consistently, and learn how to handle that - i.e., concessions (a line 25 or more deep?), etc. The large new portable water stations were nice.

My guess is Sat night games fit students schedules better, but our season ticket base appears to have aged, and BS schools may prefer the earlier start?

Adding some modest architectural pieces might help fan experience - unobtrusive sun shades?

Long term, I thought a deck over the visitors side was considered.
  • 69aggie
    There was a thread awhile back that mentioned the BS was not happy with its decision to allow UCD and Poly into the conference for football. The BS is just darn big, too many teams, difficult travel etc.so is there a chance Poly and us get the boot from the BS at some point? If so where do we go? Who would want us? The stadium at that point would be an issue we’d have to address. Until then no need for expansion, but yes, minor upgrades and improvements will continue.
  • movielover
    Head coaches Choat & Hauck want to break up the Big Sky.

They were whining about the size of the BS. So its not cookie cutter conference. The BS getting 3-4 bids seems to answer their biggest complaint.

Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Number of teams leaves Big Sky with uncertain future

Long article. Choat thinks more teams would make the playoffs with a smaller conference, but the Big Sky gets a lot of entrants.

"Wistrcill said he’s often asked about the status of affiliate members like Cal Poly and UC Davis, both of which are only in the Big Sky in football. He’s asked if they would either be added as full-time members or if they would be pushed out of the conference."

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/number-of-teams-leaves-big-sky-with-uncertain-future/article_d6238bb4-3a16-5b29-8ff6-0e5f1a960684.html
  • DrMike
    The problem is there is no place for us to go. MWC isn’t going to grow from 12 to 14. Our only hope would be for New Mexico to drop out. There’s nothing else in the west.

Small college football will be a distant third to the Kings and new Sac Republic. Interest in Cal and Stanford is waning in the Bay Area, especially with younger folks. Non existent for the Spartans in the growing Silicon Valley. Hard to imagine the new arrivals in the Sac area will buck that trend.
  • 69aggie
    So on the issue of lack of student attendance at football games at UC Davis; I simply offer this very funny family observation regarding Michigan vs. Ohio State yesterday. My BIL is a Michigan grad and major fan. Mid fifties and school teacher in Marin. He has the Big Ten thing going all weekend, but when the Michigan game comes on: he yells-“Silence Please- NO speaking or noise!” But that does not apply to him. It’s all “S—t, F—k, mother———....” bull——“. SIL goes out side with the dogs until the whole thing is over, BIL has not spoken a word since yesterday. Very upset and depressed with the Ohio win. We will never have fans like in the Midwest and I think thats a good thing. BIL must speak tomorrow at work. So very hard for him. . . .
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...funny story...it's true though about how big sports are for the students at Big 10 schools. My wife is a Michigan alum but she's pretty tame when it comes to sports...
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    The Big 10 is tame compared to the SEC.
  • 72Aggie
    I grew up, or at least grew older, in a Big 10 town, back when there were actually ten teams in the conference. College sports on the West Coast are NOTHING like they are in the Midwest and in the South. A Big Ten school could play East Northern Southwest Dakota College of Education and Agriculture at Sturgis and there would be more spirit in town than you will experience at Big Game.

Worked with a woman who was raised and schooled in the Bay Area and whose husband had received both undergrad and medical degrees from a Big Ten school. (Not from An Ohio State University.) They moved to Columbus for a job change and went looking at pre-schools. Someone at one of the pre-schools they visited told them that on Fridays before games all of the kids wore scarlet and grey. Co-worker's husband turned around and walked out. NOT going to raise his kid to be a Buckeye.
  • SharkBait
    When is construction on the new Performance Center supposed to begin?
  • Russ Bowlus
    D&C say it's supposed to be complete by Spring 2022. Design is currently at 75% according to their Fall 2019 update brochure.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!