• AggieFinn
    The early or initial signing NLI day was yesterday, and the final day is tomorrow, much earlier than in previous years.
    More Information on NLI Day: http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

UC Davis' biggest story will be the upcoming QB battle, overall health on offense at the skill positions, as well as how the defense will shape up after what has been a big building year in 2019.

The 2020 schedule is as follows:
    • Sat. Aug. 29 - at Nevada - Mackay Stadium - Reno, NV, TBD
    • Sat. Sept. 5 - San Diego - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    • Sat. Sept. 12 - at San Jose State - CEFCU Stadium - San Jose, CA, TBD
    • Sat. Sept. 19 - OPEN DATE
    • Sat., Sept. 26 - at Weber State - Stewart Stadium - Ogden, UT*, TBD
    • Sat., Oct. 3 - Idaho - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA*, TBD
    • Sat., Oct. 10 - at Idaho State - Holt Arena - Pocatello, ID*, TBD
    • Sat., Oct. 17 - Northern Colorado - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA*, TBD
    • Sat., Oct. 24 - at Cal Poly - Alex G. Spanos Stadium - San Luis Obispo, CA*+, TBD
    • Sat., Oct. 31 - Eastern Washington - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA*Boo, TBD
    • Sat., Nov. 7 - at Northern Arizona - Walkup Skydome - Flagstaff, AZ*, TBD
    • Sat. Nov. 14 - OPEN DATE
    • Sat., Nov. 21 - Sacramento State - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA*$, TBD

I certainly have plans to be in Reno Friday night, play a little high limit and enjoy the town for a couple nights. A strong match-up with San Diego at home, and then a revenge game for the Spartans in San Jose. We get a good BYE before we go and take on the Ogden juggernaut. The rest of the schedule looks to shape up very well, however, new teams always emerge, Idaho could be strong, playing in Pocatello is never easy, UNC has a new head coach and a new attitude, @ SLO, vs. EWU and a senior QB Eric Barriere, @ Flagstaff, then Sac at home. Good games all round and we bypass the Griz and Bobcats. If we can pull an upset or get after the Wildcats, we could really rally on the back end.
  • movielover
    Did we really lose 5 on the DL to graduation?

San Jose much improved, but I think they graduated their QB.
  • quadshock
    I'm always grateful for Bay Area games! Will definitely try to get some friends together for SJSU
  • DrMike
    i expect to be at all the home games, unless a grandchild birthday pops in there. Nevada and San Jose are definites. Maybe on Poly, and a slight possible on NAU. Much more favorable schedule than this year, even with the two FBS.
  • movielover
    And 2 timely breaks.
  • AggieFinn
    When does spring practice start?
  • aggie321
    Tough sledding this year for the Aggies. 1-3 to start is more than likely with 0-4 a strong possibility.
  • DrMike
    I think in two weeks. Lots of Friday nights and Saturday days, along with EARLY weekdays
  • movielover
    From CA Forever, ream awards: "QB Trent Tompkins winning offensive scout player of the year and strength and conditioning award. Looks like he is putting in the work. Definitely in the mix for being the next QB."
  • CA Forever
    Not that I have insider information or anything, just an observation. I imagine that all of the guys have a shot at winning the job.
  • AggieFinn
    QB battle commences...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from Hawkins in an Enterprise article:

“We’re always trying to reinvent ourselves,” the former UCD fullback told The Enterprise. “Football has changed so much in the last 10 years, it’s crazy. It’s changed a lot in just the last five years, and it’s continuing to change, so you have to take that approach. You always want to keep the best of what you’ve done and (explore) new things.

“I don’t think we’ve ever showed up and said, ‘Yeah, let’s do what we did last year.’ It’s boring for these guys, who like to be intellectually stimulated. If we don’t change things, it’s probably boring for (staff), too.

“You know this place: it’s Quarterback U. Plough is again one of the best in the country at what he does; we have a great culture there. Really want them (the quarterbacks) to be them,” Hawkins says. “They’re not Jake, they’re not Kenny (O’Brien), they’re not J.T. (O’Sullivan). We want them to just be the best version of them and we can kind of ebb and flow with how that goes.

“They do such a great job of competing against themselves, not with each other. So we’re fortunate that way

“I’ve just got to do a better job coaching. That’s all. Like a good marriage, it’s all in the details.”

This year, some of those details include replacing veteran defensive coordinator Robert Tucker with former Oregon defensive analyst Matt Coombs.

“Really happy with what’s he’s done,” Hawkins says of Yale graduate Coombs, who also spent four seasons on staff at Boise State “It’s a great staff on defense.”

Evan Hicks moves from defensive quality control to safeties coach and Paul Shelton (a former volunteer assistant) will work with tight ends, given the departure of Paul Creighton to Fresno State. Hawkins will now handle special teams. Veteran assistant Jerry Brady moves from linebackers to defensive-line coach.

Randy Wright, the former four-year Aggie starter at quarterback (2010-2013), and former Butte College linebackers coach Matt Phipps join Hawkins’ staff in quality control roles

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-winter-features-spring-football/
  • movielover
    Big jump for Coombs, from analyst to DC.
  • agalum
    ↪BlueGoldAg Big jump for Coombs, from analyst to DC.

Lets hope it works. So many changes this coming year, position coaches, QB battle. Coach will have a full plate.
  • movielover
    Wouldn't a typical progression be to a position coach, master that, then DC? Who knows, maybe he's a natural. Big Sky is big boy country.
  • CA Forever
    I don't think youth and inexperience is always necessarily bad. He could bring new and fresh takes on how to run the defense. Clearly Hawk saw something in him or he wouldn't have hired him for the job.
  • AggieFinn

Shoot, maybe Hawk will have his hand in the defensive pie this season.
  • movielover
    Since Plough ran the offense & Tucker the defense, doesn't Hawk serve more like a manager?
  • aggie321
    Ears to the ground say that QB battle has been narrowed down to Miles Hastings and Hunter Rodriguez barring a true freshman coming in and taking the job. Those two have been getting the lion share of reps this spring, more to come...
  • agalum

Might be able to add Trent Tomkins to that list. I heard he was looking good.
  • Riveraggie
    The official site is spotlighting less known players who are up and coming or noteworthy.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/2/19/football-winter-ball-spotlight-jeremiah-chukwudobe.aspx

Unfortunately, they slight Jeremiah Chukwudobe‘s speed. He ran a 10.99 not an 11.9
    100 Meters in high school

2016 Outdoor 9 11.93
    2017 Outdoor 10 11.76 *
    2018 Outdoor 11 11.38 *
    2019 Outdoor 12 10.99PR *
    https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=9250043
  • movielover
    We're San Jose State's second game, then they go to Penn State.

QB Josh Love graduated. They have 2 sophomore QBs, 3 freshmen, & graduate transfer Starkel from Arkansas. Starkel has to be the favorite, & QB Nash was used as Brennan's "curveball" last year.

https://www.mercurynews.com/college-football-san-jose-state-adds-qb-to-complete-recruiting-class
  • Riveraggie
    Any more rumors about our QBs in spring practice? Are any of the transfers at spring practice?
    We may have our deepest and best receiving corp ever, along with a big talented offensive line, plus a outstanding veteran running back. Great situation for a new QB to step into.
  • aggiebrother
    at this point, looks like it’s between Hastings and Rodriguez. From spring game, Hastings was with the starters.
  • agalum
    I’m sure coach will go with the best talent, but i like the idea of a freshman or sophomore getting the starter role.
  • movielover
    Sac State picked up a LB / transfer who started his career at Folsom HS. 6'3", 215, speedy, 4 stars. Had 8 tackles against Arizona, but couldn't sustain it.

"UW Huskies outside linebacker Ariel Ngata enters transfer portal"
  • AggieFinn

I fully expect Sac State to continue a trend of attracting big talent. Academically, they paint with a bigger brush in terms of eligibility, they'll get great athletes, and Coach over there will keep them in line.

I also expect Cal Poly to get more explosive this offseason. Interested to see how their schemes will look in 2020.
  • movielover
    Spring scouts on the DL?
  • DrMike
    Today’s the last session. Talked to Hawk at the basketball game last night and he was really excited about the progress they made. Health of team is good. Very excited about what the defense is doing.

As an aside, he’s talking a trip next week for spring break. Destination? India to volunteer at one of Mother Teresa’s orphanage. I’m guessing not many football coach would make this type of selfless journeys!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!