• Riveraggie
    Coombs can’t claim much involvement with Oregon’s recruiting history as he’s just been there one year, I do hope he and the new D line coach can connect with some prospects. If we had the same success recruiting D linemen as we have had with tight ends we’ll be a lot better on D.
  • 88Aggie
    I meant Dartmouth and I’m sure they have the resources to pay more than we can. But we have the CA weather going for us along with any emotional alma mater feelings he might have after being dismissed upon Hawk’s arrival. I agree he might be looking for a HC job next, but we play in the playoffs while Ivy League teams don’t. So he could get more visibility to other programs with us. I thought Plough was great last year but several games this year play calling seemed poor. So often running the ball on 3rd and long.
  • movielover
    From today's Davis Enterprise:

"Tucker and UC Davis parted ways by “mutual agreement,” according Hawkins. Tucker played for Hawkins at Willamette University and coached with him at Boise State and Colorado before stints at West Hills and East Los Angeles community colleges were stepping stones to a reunion with Hawkins in 2017."

"Tucker has yet to respond to The Enterprise requests for an interview regarding his plans."

"In each of Tucker’s seasons at Davis, the Aggies’ points allowed decreased, as did allowed yardage. Turnovers forced went from 15 to 20 to 24 in 2019."
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly has not announced a DC yet.
  • Zander
    Re: getting Daft back -- I'm sure he's a good guy and it looks like he's found a situation where he can excel, which is great. And I haven't been shy about my feelings that I'd be fine with a change in OC.

However, I feel like this board is quick to forget that Daft was part of the worst-performing staff this program has had in around 50 years. Not only that, but playcalling was a central -- if not the primary -- criticism on this board of the Gould era.

The argument that he could excel with a different HC is valid, but Daft had literally years to show he could put together an offense that could at least compete in the Big Sky with UCD's recruiting limitations, and he couldn't do it. Even a couple more wins per season against D1 competition would have made a huge difference in how I perceived his ability to succeed here.
  • AggieFinn
    Agree 100%

Also, it's not like we're playing Brown and Cornell every week...
  • CA Forever
    Well Chidera Uzo-Diribe isn't coming to Davis now. He got offered LB coach at Kansas.
  • DrMike
    I think the moves are not a staff shakeup. Creighton is moving up to Fresno ( he’s kind of stuck here in terms of career movement) and Huppert is going to Washington (Pac12, alma mater and more $$$). Tucker? I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes over a SoCal JC program.

With early spring training around the corner, we really need to have coaches in place. The change of direction back to Kansas puts us in a bit of a bind.
  • SoCal J
    Only mention it because I haven’t seen it before n his thread, but Coombs will also coach OLB with Brady moving to DL.
  • CA Forever
    Ahh I hadn't heard that one yet. Is that all of the coaching changes for this season?
  • movielover
    What do we even run as base, 3-4?

Young staff got younger.
  • SoCal J
    Yes, base 3-4 with a Stud and Sam where the Stud will become a stand up end when they want a 4-3 look. I expect to see some 4-2-5 this year as well.
  • SoCal J
    Seems like the last of the changes.
  • DrMike
    Also heard that former QB Randy Wright is joining staff as offensive quality control coach
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie pipeline...
  • DrMike
    I saw him at the basketball game Saturday. He seemed pretty excited to be there! Welcome abroad
  • Riveraggie
    Randy Wright has a great background for a young assistant, he started four years, working under offensive coordinators Plough, and Daft, two different systems and had success in both. Had to learn both quickly too.
  • Riveraggie
    The offense in Randy’s last year under Gould/Daft was pretty good too, better than later Gould years. My point is that Randy played in two different yet effective offenses.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!