• ucdboyd
    Most USC fans and alumni wanted to remain one of the 3 FBS (with UCLA and Notre Dame) teams to have never played a FCS opponent. Looks like SC's new AD wants that also.

Hopefully we take that money and schedule a home game.
  • DrMike
    Honestly, I’d be very happy with this. Big payoff and enough time to find a replacement. Pac12 games are really tough
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd be fine with this too but I think that finding a quality opponent to replace this game could be tough. I would think that most teams have their schedules for the 2021 season already set.
  • DrMike
    we’d have some extra cash to pay someone from the East or Midwest to venture out
  • zythe
    Take the money.

We will end up playing them in he future anyway :wink:
  • movielover
    So we struck fear in the Trojans...
  • zythe
    It’s a dumb streak they had that no one knew about until they scheduled us.
  • 72Aggie
    For family reasons I followed the Trojans closely in the 2000-2010 era. Trust me, the USC faithful were more than aware of the streak. Used it frequently on chat site "discussions" with SEC fans who felt that SEC football was what God watched on Saturdays. A common thread from the USC fans was that most SEC schools schedule a game or two with lower tier schools, and we aren't talking James Madison or North Dakota State. We're talking University of Southeast Western North Carolina Teachers and Ferriers College at Mayberry, etc.. I think there were a couple of other FCS schools at the time that still had not played "down." As the article points out, part of the issue now is that the only other two schools that have not played FCS opponents are Notre Dame and UCLA - USC's biggest traditional rivals.

When the game was announced people pointed out that there were simply no other FBS schools that were available that weekend. Maybe USC can find an FBS team that is scheculed to play an FCS or "mid-level FBS" team that weekend and bribe, encourage or pay them to get out of that game, freeing the FCS (or FBS) opponent to play the Ags.

I think most of us saw this (the execution of the cancellation or buy-out clause) coming back when the game was announced.
  • SloStang
    If USC pays UC Davis $750,000 I would think that would be a great thing for Davis. UC Davis could attract a great FCS team to play in Davis for $250,000 or less and pocket $500,000 or more. Nice check in the bank, a more manageable and playoff friendly schedule and one more home game for Aggie fans.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Per FCS Schedules, the following schools of reasonable interest have openings on 9/4/21:

SFA
    Lamar

Wofford

Jacksonville State

Delaware
    UNH
    Rhode Island
    Richmond
    Stony Brook
    Villanova

The Ivies
  • DrMike
    the Ivy League doesn’t start that early. This year they started on 9/21. That’s part of the challenge of getting a matchup with them. All those others look promising
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Well that whittles it down. There are others out there but the ones above seemed intriguing.

For those who were wondering, NO, San Diego does not have an open date on 9/4/21 :lol:
  • DrMike
    Bring back South Alabama!!
  • CA Forever
    I'm fine with the program getting a nice chunk of change and not having to play what is most likely an automatic loss on the schedule.
  • AggieFinn

USA is already in the FBS! The South gets those programs up quickly!
  • DavisAggie
    If USC pulls out and we get the 750, invite Delaware or Villanova out and give them a little extra.
  • 72Aggie
    First things first. Get the athletics into D-1 and FBS, then start funding for the library.
  • DrMike
    I know they made the leap but they might be more beatable now
  • SochorField
    F it. UNLV has an opening that date. Lets go to Allegiant.
  • movielover
    Interesting idea. 4-8 last year, beat both Nevada & SJSU by 3.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!