• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are coming off two excellent conference wins on the road last week with wins over Long Beach 85-82 and CSUN 66-62. They will be looking to win 3 games in a row for the first time this season when Fullerton comes to town tonight at 7 pm. The Titans are fresh off a home victory over Long Beach by the same score as the Aggies' 66-62. Fullerton's signature win of the season was their 77-74 upset of UCLA back on December 28th.

The Titans have two former Aggies on their coaching staff: Dedrique Taylor is in his 7th season at the helm of the Titans and he has been joined by first year Assistant Coach Gus Argenal.

Tipoff is at 7 pm in the Pavilion. Live stream is from Big West TV and the radio PxP by Scott Marsh is on KHTK 1140 AM.

Go Ags!

Current Conference Standings

2dut8an6jsu3cl2d.png
  • Oldbanduhalum
    This one needs to go in the win column tonight. It'll be weird seeing CSUF without Ahmad and Allman (they always seemed to kill the Ags). Rowe is still there and he'll be a tough matchup. But if we continue to play the tough team defense that we did last week, and add in some friendly home rims on offense, hopefully we see a good outcome. We are 4.5 point favorites.
  • DrMike
    This is a big one, with a road game at Hawaii and home v Irvine coming up. be nice to be at the 3-1 level after tonight. Irvine is at LBSU and CSUN is at UCSB. I'll be in attendence. Hope we have a decent turnout.
  • SoCalAggie
    Did the stream go black for anyone else?
  • Zander
    Stream was going great, then died.

#5 public school int the country and 3 hours from Silicon Valley.
  • SoCalAggie
    Happy I could watch warmups lollllllll
  • OldAggieAlum
    ESPN doesn't show that the game has started. Their score feed must be dead too.
  • Zander
    Twitter is live so I guess that means that they at least have cell service in the building?
  • madcityscott
    Pepper out with two fouls already.
  • Zander
    Stream active. 17-11 CSUF with about 9 minutes left. Was tied since I started watching until Fullerton knocked down two quick threes
  • madcityscott
    Jim saw enough. Pepper back in with 9 to go in the half.
  • Toke69
    Getting the video, no audio, though. Ags not shooting very well at this point.
  • madcityscott
    Why was there a timeout? Just to wipe the floor?
  • Toke69
    Crowd looks pretty sparse.sadly.
  • Zander
    Can't win as a UC Davis team when you're shooting 3/15 from 3 (or whatever it is)
  • Zander
    31-24 Titans. Fullerton looks like the dominant team and I'd say we're lucky to be down only 7, but on the other hand, just a few more of those threes go in and the narrative changes completely.
  • BlueGoldAg
    31-24 Titans at the half. Outplayed on both ends of the floor. They’re playing much better defense in our house. Not good!
  • Toke69
    Yes, 3/15 but I thought the Titans were hotter, yet they were only 4/13 according to ESPN. That doesn't seem right, but it adds up. I hope the Ags shoot better in the 2nd half and commit fewer dumb turnovers.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Titans shot 43% to our 34%. They’re locked down on Mooney. We have nothing inside on offense either.
  • madcityscott
    Fullerton has four players from Texas. Anyone know the connection?
  • Toke69
    Texas is a land of Titans.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags come out in a 1-3-1 zone.
  • madcityscott
    Damn. It was just down to three and now it’s back up to ten.
  • Zander
    And back down to 1!!

8 minute media timeout now
  • Toke69
    Ags now down only one, but they'll have to play a lot better than this in Hawaii or they'll be run out of the arena. Notice that they've only shot 2 free throws the whole game.
  • madcityscott
    Two Titans have four fouls. Both are sitting with 5:26 to go.
  • Toke69
    Gotta like the way the Aggies scrapped til the end, but too little, too late. Fullerton is the team that beat UCLA earlier this year, so they have a lot of talent when they want to play.
  • tokyoag
    Not surprising. Even first place Irvine lost to then-last place Long Beach and UCSB is now in last place after losing to CSUN at home.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    If there's one thing that I look at with this team is how early in a half do they get into the bonus. One, because we are a good FT shooting team so it leads to "easy" points, but also that it shows just how aggressive we are. Last night I felt that we settled too much for the 3 pointer rather than driving and creating contact. Sure there were sections, most notably a part mid way through the second half where it looked like Manjon couldn't be stopped, but overall it just seemed like we were a step slow. Credit CSUF as I thought there overall defense was as tough as I've seen against us. As you said, we'll need to play much much better Saturday against the Bows if we are to have any chance.
  • DrMike
    that was a disappointing showing for the Aggies. From the get-go, we were much less aggressive than Fullerton. Gonzalez was hot initially off the bench with 2 3's, but that was it for him. Mooney never got untracked (very good defense). The inside guys were out muscled. They were in the bonus early in the 2nd half, because they were going hard to the hoop. we'd get the lead to 2 or 3, then they would push it back up. we had a couple frustrating possessions where we got a stop (down 3), but they got the rebound and put it in. the spurt at the end was exciting, but we could have used that aggression and intensity about 39 minutes earlier. Les was fuming on the post game about not playing hard at home. hard to blame him. the next two are tough games, so we could be 2-4 really quickly.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree with everything you both said. Riverside and Fullerton both dictated the game with their aggressiveness and especially their defensive quickness against us. Both of those teams disrupted our offensive flow with tough defense.

We also had no answer for Fullerton's muscle and quickness inside. Neither Neufeld or Koehler have the athletic quickness to match up well against teams with strong, quick power forwards and posts. I'd like to see a floor chart of the shots that Fullerton made last night. They hit layup after layup and they did so repeatedly with aggressive determination.

Strong length with quickness inside is the Achilles heel of the Aggies and it forces us to beat teams primarily with the long ball offensively. We also often end up with a bunch of fouls early trying to stop teams from pounding the ball inside and that hurts us against teams who can hit their FT's like Fullerton did last night.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!