Ken O’Brien, UC Davis
    Joe Flacco, Delaware
    Tony Romo, Eastern Illinois
    Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
    Steve McNair, Alcorn State
    Doug Williams, Grambling
    Kurt Warner, Northern Iowa
    Phil Simms, Morehead State

A surprising list. Coach Plough and others should tweet.

Spoiler Alert: read the O'Brien bio for a chuckle, and maybe don't spoil the nugget for others.

https://thesportsdrop.com/articles/best-nfl-quarterbacks-that-played-fcs-level-college-football/10/
  • DrMike
    Ken was actually not FCS (or D IAA back in the day) since both Sac and us weren't at that level. he'd have to be on the best of DII list.
  • lucche
    I heard that it wasdn't he could not get on the field at Sac State. I heard (could be a rumor though) that the coach at Sac, at the time,had told O'brien he was a very good QB, and that you cannot complete passes when you are on the ground, and recommended that he transfer to UCD.
    If so, that was a very unselfish thing for him to do. O'brien may be the one to ask about this.
  • movielover
    I thought he did the math, and knew they were a run offense.

Don't forget, at Sochor's memorial O'Brien recalled not feeling much interest from Sochor on their first recruit meeting when he was a high school senior (?), so at least that perception didn't help.
  • 72Aggie
    I'd always heard that he transferred because he "wanted to throw the ball." Mattos was the Sac coach and he had a running back named John Farley. Getting the ball to Farley and letting him run with it was a pretty good game plan. Farley was drafted by the Bengals in '84 and stuck around on the roster for one season.
  • movielover
    I believe O'Brien's girlfriend (now wife) was in Davis.
  • 72Aggie
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I think his wife, Stacey, is a Sperbeck, and related to the former Sac State coach....but I could be wrong.
  • GoAggies
    No love for JT O'Sullivan?
  • zythe
    O’Sullivan is tearing it up on YouTube!
  • zythe
    I linked it. We should all be seeing his videos and showing support! This is wholesome content too.
  • AggieFinn
    One of J.T.'s videos (analysis of Patriots SB winning drive vs. LA Rams) has over 140k views. He breaks it down quite thoroughly.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!