• BlueGoldAg
    Great article on the Aggie website:

Oh, one more questions for Williams...

So, coach, eight seasons at UCD, 19 in Santa Barbara. Are you an Aggie or a Gaucho?

"I'm an Aggie," he promised. "You can never, ever leave a national championship behind."

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/1/31/mens-basketball-remembering-1998-as-a-season-for-the-ages.aspx

wsrwax5zvzzrrsl1.png
  • DrMike
    I wish Williams was doing play by play at home games like he did last year. He and Marsh made a good team. He was and is an Aggie!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Williams has moved back to norther California since he retired and he lives in Lake of the Pines near Grass Valley. He and the team will be honored at the Cal Poly game on Saturday.
  • movielover
    Great team, but not the best article.

How could the writer forget (I believe) the championship game MVP, Dante Ross? Ross isn't even mentioned in the article, but we get paragraphs about a former player who rarely played in 4 years. Ironically, Dante Ross is the picture for the article. I believe he performed flawlessly in the Elite Eight.

Nosek is a local product, but he wasn't even a role player and never made the rotation after 4 years. Lazy research. (Unless the editorial staff somehow deleted multiple paragraphs.)
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree that not mentioning Dante Ross was an oversight but I enjoyed the article overall. I thought the intentional, main focus of the article was about the memories of Bob Williams and Kevin Nosek and how they have stayed locally connected. Winning the National Championship without scholarships was such an amazing achievement that it's always nice to read about it again.

It will be great to see the team honored the double-header today. I hope a lot of the former players will be in attendance.
  • movielover
    The Davis Enterprise also had an article this week on Nosek - not Cox, Dante, etc. Paper-thin writing staffs probably contribute to this development. I think even their wonderful movie critic, Derrick Bang (?), is no longer with them.

I'm told the championship team will step out onto the court during the first half, at a time out. I wonder what halftime show bumps the team?
  • DrMike
    I’ll be there. There is a team Aggie hospitality along with the alum and their guests. I’m sure Nosek and Les will make an appearance and invite them to the team room, as in the past. I enjoy the alum events
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Derrick Bang is still writing for the Enterprise. I recently read his review of 1917 which he described as a masterpiece. I agree with you that Derrick is a fantastic movie critic and he's been writing for the Enterprise as long as I can remember. He's so good that I have often wondered why he hasn't gone on to write for bigger publications. He used to have a game store in town many years ago if I remember correctly.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It looked like most of the team was there tonight and they got a standing O from the crowd when they were introduced during a time out.

ux95mx4wnbqx7hwf.png
  • DrMike
    last night I was watching much of the game from the kid area. I’m sure many of you know this but, I saw that the ‘division’ on the backside of the championship banner is misspelled. Should have snapped a photo but I think it s ‘Divisin’. Either that or the last ‘I’ is missing.
  • 72Aggie
    An Aggie or a Gaucho? The team where you won a national championship and from which you left on your own terms? Or the team that fired you?

Re the emphasis on Nosek: note the article was written by former Enterprise sportswriter Bruce "Time of Possession" Gallaudet.
  • movielover
    Are you saying the banner is 2 sided?
  • DrMike
    One side faces the court, backside to the north upper bleacher (kid) Area. I noticed the back side; not sure of court side
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!