• abridge
    They did do video streaming in the 68-69 season using a trailer in the parking lot for production. The campus TV department did the production. Not ESPN but maybe better than most Big West TV since we had three cameras. It was black and white of course. At least it was the game against SF State and maybe Tahoe Paradise? Sac State?

The gym totally rocked. The floor is so great, well sprung. No shin splints. Bossy Cow Cow was a major cheer - used once at a crucial moment in the game. And the band did the Hex. Song girls dressed in denim and gingham.

At the end of games the Maverick All Male Marching Band would go down into the locker room, marching through the various rooms to end up in the main locker room. I think they ended with "Sons of California".

Ham was definitely intense even then, No clip-board was allowed in his hands. He almost never went after the officials. There were a couple of times when he was concerned the officiating would end up with an injured player, but mostly he was coaching. After games you'd find him walking out on the sidewalks well after midnight going over the game in his head.

The front court of Stonebarger and Baranco with Johnson and Tommy Cups forwards was really special. Two future doctors and a judge out there on court. Tom Woods, who would go on to coach Humboldt State could come in along with Al Steed and Tom Larkin. Wood was a great passer but not as athletic as Gordy.
  • movielover
    Awesome. What was the Hex?

I heard Ham used a 2 platoon system one year w Baranco?
  • DrMike
    back to the present day....CSUN beat LBSU last night, putting them at 7-6 same as us. we've beat them twice so would get a head-to-head tiebreaker, but the ways things are going, we might have a 4 way time for second and who knows how things will shake out!

Saturday's a big one with LBSU coming to town. that's a something of a must-win to keep our 2nd place hopes alive (and its the most winnable of the last 3).

Is Irvine the only team that ESPNU shows from the Big West? they are on again tonight at Poly.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Scott Marsh did the play by play on ESPN3 of the LB/CSUN game last night. It was a bit strange hearing the voice of the Aggies on a non-Aggie game.

They seem to be pulling out the stops to get people to the double header Saturday. Emotional support dogs on the second level and baby races at halftime. Something for everyone!
  • DrMike
    they had a video of the last diaper derby (two weeks ago?). only one baby got off the starting line. when he crossed the finish line, it looked like Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes. i think they are also pushing a canned food drive; donation gives you a chance to win an Apple watch. I'll be there. starting with baseball (the son of a friend pitches for loyola), women's game, an EVO event, and the men's game.
  • Toke69
    movielover, Yes! I was at that game in 1968 when the starting lineup was Al Budde, John Frost, Steve Schaper, Stonebarger and Baranco. I think we were playing Sonoma State, but still in the first half, Ham pulled out all five starters and put Wood, Cupps, Tom Larkin, Bob Johnson and Bob Guild in. we all thought he'd lost his marbles, but they ran the other team ragged (not sure it was the Cossacks, but it was a conference game). Then he subbed them all out and put the starters back in again. He must have been experimenting, because I don't think he used it much after that.
  • movielover
    Did you see Audwin Thomas play? Was his game outside, or everywhere?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Any potential rematch with UCSB at the BWT just took on a different tone. Max Heidegger, who seemed to be in the middle of the dust up with Joe, went down with a lower leg injury in UCSBs game last night. I haven't seen any official word on the severity, but guys over on the BW board seem to think it's serious. Too bad, as you don't like to see this happen to any player.
  • lucche
    I remeber a game against Hayward State where number #13 pushed Mark Ford in the back on a breakaway and he crashed hard into the stands. And then, every time Number #13 handled the ball the boos rained down on him from the entire Aggie fans. #13 was eventually removed from the game as he could not handle the crowd any longer. Their coach did him a great favor by doing so! Anyone else remember this game?
  • Toke69
    Sorry, He was on the team after I left Davis.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!