• Goags2017
    I'm back with a much more contemporary username. Who is this deleted user guy ? He seems really smart.

Took a couple months off from posting things online, even Facebook. This year I'm hoping more people contribute insight because I'm going to post less often + try to focus on the positives, remember why I enjoy these games.

Not a whole heck of a lot has happened in the last two months. UCD is as secretive as ever about the baseball team, and chances are good we won't see a roster until next Friday or the day before.

Not that it's difficult to guess most of it. The schedule press release said 27 returning letterwinners (I'm assuming redshirts fall into that category if they're on the roster). Of the 32 with eligibility at the end of the season 3 are not with the team and at least 2 of those 3 are no longer at the university period. So which 2 guys from the 2016 roster aren't returning ? Probably a catcher (there are 5 of them otherwise) and an outfielder that didn't play much last year (there are likely 2 new ones).

With at most 8 new players, at least half of them junior college transfers, this team can definitely not use the excuse that they're young. You have a lot of returning infielders and corner outfielders who had significant playing time. Center Field is the only position where that's not really true. If the team hasn't already picked a theme for this year it should be "No excuses !"

The pitching staff should be pretty experienced. The transfers all appear to be JC guys who have played 2 years each. Assuming he makes the team Tim Wieser should be the only freshman pitcher. Wieser sounds like a kid to really root for. Per a local newspaper I read online it appears as though he's overcome a great deal of grief, loss, and adversity to make it to UCD.

Not many UCD baseball tidbits out on the web. Either the college baseball world just doesn't care or the university is really good at keeping things under wraps. The only mention Baseball America gave to the team in its BW conference preview was to list it as one of the conference members. They did manage to spell Davis correctly. That kind of slight makes me want to see the Aggies light up every single golden boy pitching prospect on the list. Sac State didn't do much better with BA, even though they will contend in the WAC. Just too many bad teams in that conference for that not to happen. They're replacing North Dakota w/Cal Baptist ? Underwhelming..

As for news, there isn't any, just some interesting factoids. Jed Moscot and Austin Amante, redshirt pitchers in 2016, both transferred to Cuesta College (JC). At least one of them missed last season with pretty serious injury Don't know what happened to Joey Chapman.

I saw an interesting article about the Humboldt Crabs summer league baseball team, specifically Zach Stone's performance. They were talking about his recurring shoulder injuries (the exact reason he didn't pitch after his 2nd start in 2016) and how he had talked with the UCD coaching staff and understood his college future would likely be in relief. If it's true, it makes sense. You don't want to risk re- injuring it with too heavy a workload. That certainly would strengthen the bullpen, although he would be more of a typical closer. assuming he closes- 1 maybe 2 innings. NO 4- 5 inning relief appearances like the team used to do with Max Cordy +Harry Stanwyck.

Lastly, this isn't news but merely speculation on my part, but what happened to Ryan Steindorf ? I thought he looked like he had some real potential on the pitching mound but his summer team released him early despite not pitching poorly and he was literally the last selection for the Blue/Gold World Series. You sometimes can't read much into fall ball but there's really something being said when you're the last kid on the playground picked for a team. I thought he was a better selection than some of the players picked ahead of him. Position considerations certainly have merit. It makes me wonder if he was injured pitching in the summer +was working as a position player (outfield?). That would make some sense. The coach did praise his bat when he was recruited +as a position player there are a lot of guys. I'd like to see him succeed as a pitcher though.

The home opener is 2/21. Come Sun or cloudiness with occasional sprinkles of rain I will be there.
  • aggie6thman
    Welcome back!!
  • Goags2017
    Thanks ! Good to be back.
  • Goags2017
    Roster is up ! Only 25 returning players. The quartet of Roppolo, Roeser, Allen, and Langer aren't on the roster. Kind of surprising. Thought at least 2 of that group would, but I guess they were all walk- ons and walk- ons have to really battle for spots every year. We have 5 catchers. Hopefully at least one of them (Denholm ? O'BOY? ) can play somewhere other than 1B or LF.
  • crocodile63
    It still amazes me that the Bio link on the players still have the same picture of them when they were a freshman as well as the same height and weights.
    Do they not have enough money to take new pictures of these guys every year and update their body measurements?
    F
  • BBAg1963
    All new pictures of the boys are up!
  • Goags2017
    BBag1963- welcome ! I haven't seen you on before. All baseball contributors are valued here.

Crocodile: I haven't really noticed the pictures so much. One thing college teams do that I don't particularly care for is that they list players as generic infielders or outfielders but don't say what positions they play in their bios. Obviously they may play different ones in college, but it would be nice to know where their experience lies so you can get an idea of what skill sets they might bring to the team + what positions they might play. There's a big difference between 1B and SS and LF and C.F.

The Davis Enterprise had an article about the team today. Not much meat to it. It seems like the reporter didn't really get much in depth when he was asking Vaughn about the lineup and just sort of filled in a lot of details from assumptions. That's fine for a non- reporter amateur on a blog, but not someone who makes a living writing for a newspaper. They named the probable weekend rotation (Garcia, Razo, Mullins), closer (Stone), catcher (Denholm), first baseman (Novak), shortstop (Thomas), and center fielder (Kelly). So 4 positions were left as a mystery. Even if Vaughn declined to name the starters I'm sure he would have dropped the names of contenders if he'd been asked.

There was also a goof where they basically stated the team lost 3 of its best 4 hitters and named Olson and Cardinalli as 2 of the departed players- oops !

Pushing my first Aggie game of the year probably to next Saturday.
  • BBAg1963
    Thanks G!
    Excited for this season to get going. Hopefully they're not rained out in LV. I believe this team is the best Davis has fielded in the last 4 years. From what I understand, internal competition for playing spots is fierce right now, which is great for the team.
  • Goags2017
    Sunday's game should be fine at least. Last year they had some pretty second baseman and corner outfielders. Lots of hitters but not enough places to put them.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I thought Cal-Baptist was pretty good in Baseball?
  • Goags2017
    They have been decent but being decent in D- II doesn't really translate to D- I success. Look at UCD. :D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!