• PortlandAggie
    Aggies advance to Sunday's WWPA championship game.

UC San Diego and LMU will now square off in Saturday's 1 p.m. semifinal. Top-seeded UC Davis, which awaited the lowest-seeded advancing team, will take on CBU at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday. Air Force and FPU will meet in the consolation semi at 9:30 a.m. in Saturday's session. The host Broncos will take Saturday off and move to Sunday's fifth-place game.

http://www.thewwpa.com/article/365.php
  • 72Aggie
    Carried over from old site since this is kind of ongoing news:

Ags beat UCSD, 12-8, to win the Western Water Polo Ass’n championship and will play in the NCAA tournament, to be held the first weekend in December in Berkeley. Like basketball, there are two play-in games, which will be played on December 1st, also in Berkeley.

Ags will play the champion of the Collegiate Water Polo Ass'n in a play-in game on Dec. 1st in Berkeley. The CWPA champion will be determined this coming Saturday, the 26th, when Harvard (Northeast) hosts Bucknell (Mid-Atlantic). Davis has split with Harvard this year, and has not played Bucknell. The winner of the Dec. 1 play-in will meet top seeded USC in a semi-final on Dec. 3rd. 

In the other bracket, host Cal plays Pomona-Pitzer in another play-in, also on Dec 1st. The winner of their match plays UCLA in the other Saturday semi-final with the championships on Sunday the 4th. 

Other than the Bucknell v Harvard match, all games are in Berkeley. 

This is the first season that the Golden Coast Conference (primarily BW and WCC schools) has had a men's division and the champion, Pepperdine, did not receive an automatic bid. Host Cal is ranked No. 3 and received an at-large bid over the No. 9 ranked Waves. 

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-wpolo/spec-rel/112016aab.html  

Go Ags!

Davisbear added:
    The Ags split with Harvard this season.  They lost 13-12 at the start of the season, then beat Harvard 7-6 later in the season.
    It would be great if they could make it to Saturday against USC.  They would have their hands full with SC, but it would be great to have a shot at them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great job all around by the men's water polo program!
  • Davisbear
    Yes, both of the Aggie water polo programs are representing well. Both have highly respected coaches and they play in a good facility. Hopefully the new team room gets funded soon, that will allow both teams the opportunity to take it to the next level.
    Keep in mind the men's team only has one senior, so they will be a force next year as well!! The women are expected to be good this year as well!
  • 72Aggie
    Score from the east: Harvard 13, Bucknell 12.

Ags will play Harvard on Thursday in Berkeley.

Go Ags!
  • Davisbear
    The Ags take on Harvard at 4:30 today at Spieker Pool at UC Berkeley in an NCAA championship play in game. Come check it out if you're in the Bay!! You can buy tickets at the gate.

Game will be on streaming as well.

If they win, they play USC in the semi on Saturday
  • CA Forever
    Aggies lose 16-15 in OT :’(
  • 72Aggie
    That was as bad a streaming feed as I have seen, embellished by some Hahvahd commentary on the side. This is the fourth time Davis has played Harvard in school history, the third time this season. Every game has been decided by one goal. Too bad this one went the wrong way. Congratulations to the Crimson.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Horrible video feed! I had to watch the sidebar commentary to even have a clue what the score was. Tough loss for the Aggies. Water polo is consistently one of our most competitive sports at the national level.

Congrats Ags for another great year!
  • aggie6thman
    Dang. That hurts.
  • Davisbear
    Brutal loss, the Ags had some chances late but couldn't convert. Great game atmosphere, good turnout by Aggie fans. Nice to see Kevin Blue out there supporting the team. Good job Harvard.
  • 72Aggie
    Cal toyed with Pomona-Pitzer in the other play-in, with the Bears defeating the Sagehens, 16-6. Saturdays semi-finals will be Cal v. UCLA and Harvard v. USC. Winners meet on Sunday.

Great year for the Aggie men. Final Four next year!!
  • 72Aggie
    What we missed:

Semi-finals:

USC 19, Harvard 4

A mild upset: Cal 9, UCLA 8 OT
  • BlueGoldAg
    The future looks bright for Aggie water polo. Here's an interesting article about this year's team:

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-water-polo-season-deemed-a-memorable-success/
  • 72Aggie
    Cal upset #1 USC in OT, 11-8, to win the championship.
  • Davisbear
    For the first time in the history of UCD athletics, a coaching position has been endowed!! The men's water polo head coach is now an endowed position. I assume that Kevin Blue is following the lead of Stanford, where a huge number of coaching positions are endowed. This is a great day for UCD athletics as it provides long term security for a non revenue sport. Hopefully over time, more positions will become endowed. Leyson, the current head coach was also extended. He has done a great job so this is a good move for the stability of the program.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-wpolo/spec-rel/012417aab.html
  • aggie6thman
    Great news! Frees up cash for the rest of the teams and like you mentioned provides stability for the men's water polo program.

On to the next endowed position!
  • BlueGoldAg
    It is amazing to me just how much Kevin Blue has accomplished in such a short amount of time. I hope he will stay here a while or, even better, just fall in love with this great school and decide this is a good place to stay for a very long time.
  • 69aggie
    History will be made tomorrow at 10 am as the UC Davis Aggies will have their first ever Equestrian Team contest with the Delaware State #7 team in the in the nation. Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    I confess I know next to nothing about this sport, but it appears that the Aggie Equestrian Team has won their inaugural equestrian meet against Delaware State the 9th ranked team in the nation- 6 to 4. Congratulations to these Aggie women on this historic win!
  • 69aggie
    Sorry- Delaware was ranked #7.
  • DrMike
    we need to move up to FBS in equestrian!!!!
  • 69aggie
    I will circulate the petition to get this done ASAP! Also, if you go to the athletic social sight wall you will see their beautiful slick new uniforms; and, yes, Addidas has provided the uniforms. Simple, but very nice design work by Addidas.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie Equestrian Team won by a score of 10-5. The events, of which I have no knowledge whatsoever, were Equitation Over Fences, Equitation On the Flat, Horsemanship and Reining. Google here I come...

Great start for the team and let's hear it for the horse Aggies: Gracie, Eden, Teddy, Cappo, Tom, Van, Casper, Luron, Boomer, Toby, PeeWee, Flash and Donal! I wonder if Donald has a blonde mane?

https://ucdavisaggies.com/documents/2019/1/31//2018_2019_Master_Scoresheet_vs_DSU_Jan_31_.pdf
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!