• Goags2017
    I was there. Justin Dillon was flat out dominant against Northern Kentucky. He's a legitimate pro prospect. They almost lost it w/two out but the official scorer ruled what looked like an infield hit was a fielding error. The only other no- hitter I've ever seen was UCD softball. After the Aggie pitcher finished it was the least enthusiastic celebration of a sporting accomplishment ever.

The closest thing I've seen to a baseball no hitter for the Aggies was a 1- 0 one- hitter by Jonathan Rohlfing in the second game of a 1999 double- header against Cal Poly Pomona. The guy he beat, John Heaton, threw a no- hitter the next year if I'm not mistaken. Dave McKae threw 1 for the Aggies in the 2003 playoffs against one of the top hitting D- II teams in the country, Fort Hays State. I daresay Dillon throws a LITTLE harder than McKae
  • aggie6thman
    First week of the season and the Hornets have already racked up a no-no? Not bad.
  • Goags2017
    If they were going to throw one it would probably have to have been within the first couple weeks of the season when pitchers are more ahead of the hitters still. No way they do that in April against even a really bad WAC team like Chicago State.

They look like a pretty deep team, going 4- 1 so far despite the fact they appear to be missing their starting CF from the past 2 years, their best hitting outfielder (who's been drafted twice), their ace pitcher from last year (Max Karnos), and are breaking in a freshman catcher at the moment. The #2 starter (Austin Roberts)right now throws some heat (just eyeballing fastball looks about 92- 93 MPH) and he's only a freshman. Has to learn pitch more efficiently though as he hasn't pitched more than 4 innings in a start yet,.. The #3 starter is another freshman (Parker Brahms) who doesn't throw as hard but looks like he is a pretty advanced pitcher, very efficient w/ good control against WSU. The Aggies will likely face him if Karnos comes back.

Fun trivia about their opponent, N. Kentucky. The school is located in the somewhat redundant- sounding city of Highland Heights, which is apparently closer to Cincinatti, OH than any big city in KY. The baseball team has only 3 in- state players (all of them pitchers) but they have six from Canada. You would think the state where so many baseball bats are made would produce more college baseball players.

Looking to see my first Aggie game of the season this weekend. Looks like we have some interesting developments through 3 games so far. Logan Denholm (or any other catcher for that matter) hasn't made an appearance yet, despite the fact Ignacio Diaz hadn't yet registered a hit. Cameron Olson was coming off the bench until yesterday. Alex Aguiar, who just made the transition from 3B to left field last year, is now in center. And the coach has already resumed using Chris Brown in relief at what was a frightening pace last year. Brown is used with the frequency that suggests he's the team's best reliever, but that wasn't the case last year, and it hasn't been established this year to this point.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    We'll probably still sweep them this year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!