• Goags2017
    Today was definitely a feel- good game for Aggie fans, unless of course you're friends or family of Matt Blais. If you are you probably didn't like the 8th inning so much but enjoyed the other 8.

Great to see the Camerons come up with bases- clearing hits to really stick it to Utah Valley. Orlando Razo was very sharp, and except for a lead-off double he surrendered they couldn't solve him. This was probably his best start as an Aggie.

I'm beginning to see why Ignacio Diaz has started every game so far. His defense has really improved. He did have a mental lapse in the 1st when Razo struck out the leadoff guy and the ball ticked away from him. He just kind of stood there until somebody yelled at him, but it was too late to throw the guy out. After someone yelled from the dugout, "Get your head in the game !" he threw the guy out trying to steal. He also added a couple of hits and laid down a perfect suicide squeeze in the 7th.
  • crocodile63
    Yes, Razo probably had the best game as an Aggie so far.
    Problem is this team is still having trouble getting to the starter. All their runs came when they faced the relievers. Not a good sign when they are facing a sub par team.
    They need to clean up a few things on defense and start taking advantage of the mistakes others teams make.
    Let's see how they do with a crappy teams #3 starter today.
  • SochorField
    Took my Little League team out to Dobbins today. Beautiful day for baseball (albeit a little chilly).

The Ags were great sports before the game, coming over to say hi to my boys (and daughter). Made me an extremely proud alum.

We are from Pleasant Hill and so is Chris Brown LHP #40. He told the boys how he played PHBA (Pleasant Hill Baseball Association) not long ago, just like them. The boys loved it.
    Great experience for the kids. The Ags gave them a few balls. I couldn't tell who it was, maybe Connor Loar gave my 4 year old daughter a ball and melted her heart (mine too).

Great come-from-behind, walk-off win too!
  • Goags2017
    A good character win for the Aggies today, battling back from a 4- run deficit they created with sloppy defense. Briggs was a curious choice to start the 9th inning. Luckily Stone got the double play he needed to end the threat. Connor Loar had a gutsy outing in relief.

The coach needs to be mindful of his usage of Stone, who has already pitched in 3 out of the first 5 games. So has Brown if I'm not mistaken. Better bullpen management is absolutely necessary. The coach can't just "spam" his favorite relievers: he needs to use everyone and find ways to close out games w/o Stone occasionally. I mean, at most he only has 1 more yr at UCD. What do you do after that ? I can understand giving Blais a chance to get right on Saturday after he allowed the winning runs to score vs. The Gaels, but he left him in way too long. It should have been evident by the 3rd hit he allowed that the kid didn't have it. Instead he was left in to allow six straight batters to reach. Then the panic button was pressed and Stone had to be wasted for 2 innings in a non- save situation. After the first 2 hits he should have been pulled, and an opportunity should have been given to someone else (Not Brown ! He loves to pitch those 2 in the same game) One of the new relievers perhaps ? 9- 0 is a great time to give someone a chance to get their feet wet.

Honestly I'm not sure why Blais is summoned so often. I liked his potential as a freshman particularly the solid relief job he did against Sac State@Raley Field, but he seems to have become extremely hittable since then. Maybe they messed w/his delivery last year but batters are just teeing off. If they haven't maybe they need to adjust it. The plus is he throws strikes- not many walks.

Just for the heck of it, here are some stats. As you guys may or may not know I take score and keep stats at the games I attend. I've seen him pitch 9 times now (1 start) and he's surrendered 15 earned runs in 18 1/3 innings (7.36 ERA). Count only the outings this year and last, and that's 14 earned runs in 11 2/3 innings over 7 games. Ouch ! On the plus side only 6 total walks allowed. He's throwing strikes at least.

Now you could say that's a small sample, but look at the overall #'s, is it really that atypical ? I would really like to see him re- discover whatever was working for him before. In the meantime they shouldn't be bringing him in during crucial late- inning situations with men on base. You need someone who not only won't walk a batter but also can get you a strikeout. You put in a reliever who doesn't miss many bats and generates a lot of contact you're putting all your eggs in one basket. praying he gets you a double play. He doesn't and you're in real trounle.

As for Brown he should probably not be used as a late- inning short reliever, unless it's for one or two batters in a lefty/righty match- up. He strikes me as a softer- throwing finesse pitcher, and finesse pitchers usually have very good control but are in big trouble if their precision falters in a relief situation. Look at where he's been most successful- long relief (such as the rubber game against Air Force last year.)- and the occasional sport start (like the 1st one against Stanford the same year). I think we can already tell he wouldn't disappoint anyone as a starter. It's important to know your pitchers strengths so you can find the right situation to bring them in. It all goes back to managing your bullpen. And that concludes my sermon for the day
  • Goags2017
    And look who started today vs Stanford.- Chris Brown ! I hope he pitches well, or else that makes me look bad for saying he should. Just kidding ! Aggies will probably use several pitchers in the game given they.have to find 4 starters for fr- mo. I'm thinking Hannah might be the #4. He hasn't pitched yet. Hopefully they can find some work today for Worthan, Barraza + others who haven't pitched yet.
  • Goags2017
    Well, that was an ugly loss to Stanford, but I take some positives:

Heads- up baserunning by Salazar and Aguiar. Swiping those extra bases put them in position meant the Aggie offense didn't have to work as hard to score those runs. That's good because they would have been shutout otherwise.

A very good outing by Blais. It wasn't immaculate, but he got a double play when he needed it. We'll gladly take scoreless innings from the pitching staff any day.

Somebody other than Diaz got some time behind the plate. For a moment there I was worried Diaz was going to get the 2015 Izaak Silva treatment and we'd have a defensive mess at catcher again. Denholm still hasn't played in a game yet. Wonder if he's hurt or redshirting to work on his catching. It would explain why we have 5 catchers. Any time Houston Roberts gets is a big plus, as he has 2 yrs of eligibility left after this one if I'm not mistaken.

Blake Hannah got into the game. It wasn't pretty, but I'd rather he get a tune- up before the OR trip. I'm guessing he'll be the starting pitcher Monday against the Ducks (Brown Wed against Penn State most likely). You've got 5 total games against ranked opponents from yesterday to Sunday). This trip will be tough, and it doesn't get easier when they get home.

And Zach Stone got a day off !
  • PortlandAggie
    I'll be there on Friday night @ Oregon State, weather permitting of course
  • Goags2017
    That should be fun. I looked into making that trip myself but w/o a rental car it looked like a huge undertaking for something that might get rained out. From Amtrak's website it looks like you can take an extremely long train ride to either Portland or Corvallis from Sacramento but you can't fly into Portland, then take a train to Corvallis, instead you get a 2hr + bus ride. Looks like you can for Eugene, but I'm not going up for one game
  • BBAg1963
    I thought our pitchers did a pretty decent job, even allowing 15 hits, none of those balls were hit very hard. Actually, the two hardest hit balls of the night were by Aguiar and Salazar.
  • BBAg1963
    Also, the double play between Olson and Thomas (I believe), was a thing of beauty.
  • PortlandAggie
    Just got back to Portland, rained out. Bummer, and I'm flying to Bay Area tomorrow so double bummer. ydr7b4pezhyseo31.jpg
  • Goags2017
    It's too bad the weather couldn't behave for you Portland Aggie ! Now that I know of no specific Aggie fans going to the games I can root for a couple more rainouts in this series. The more Diaz rests and the fewer pitchers the Aggies use against the Beavers the better they will be against the Ducks +Nittany Lions, the teams that on paper they're more likely to beat.

I am concerned about them playing Diaz too much. Not only didn't he start a lot of games last year, but also consider the schedules that junior college teams play. I'll have to check on the accuracy of this for Napa Valley College's conference but in the Big 8 (Sacramento, ARC, CRC, etc) the conference games are typically not on consecutive days (Tues, TH, SAT usually). It's truly a bus league, with no opponents more than 2- 3 hours away. The weeks where they play 4 games or games on consecutive days are usually during the non- conference portion schedule where there's more travel involved, and during that time there's more player rotation while roles are being defined. So knowing all of that the coaching staff needs to be as mindful of how often their junior college pitchers and catchers play as their freshman players. Maybe give Diaz Tuesdays off, or if he plays Tuesdays, maybe rest him on Sunday ahead of the next Tuesday game. Roberts is a transfer too, but given his workload for the Aggies so far (an inning or two in 1 game) there's no real cause to worry.

Edit: fact- checked the NVC schedule. Although they do vary from the Tue, Thur., SAT. schedule they do play non- consecutive days in conference play for the most part.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!