• movielover
    Spring football starts tomorrow, will anyone here attend the open practices?

For the record, I am perfectly happy if alums don't get into specifics, and if Bruce G doesn't get into specifics. Like what kind of O and D we will run. The element of surprise is something we could possess.

Davis Enterprise article on this topic last week.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Without looking, I'm assuming there will be a practice or scrimmage on Picnic Day? If that's the case I may swing by with the fam to see some DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL.
  • movielover
    Recent DE article on first practice focuses on CJ and Nas.
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly releases 2017 schedule:

8/27 Colgate (ESPNU)

9/2 at San Jose State

9/9 at Northern Iowa

9/16 Bye

9/23 Northern Arizona

9/30 at Idaho State

10/7 at Southern Utah

10/14 Bye

10/21 Weber State

10/28 at Davis

11/4 Portland State

11/11 Sac State

Link: http://gopoly.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20170308kup8mo
  • aggie6thman
    No Montana, Montana State, or EWU?! Not too shabby.
  • SloStang
    No UND either (UND has had Cal Poly's # lately) and NAU at home coming off a bye.
  • AggieFinn
    Is there any reason why we aren't scheduling the Ivy League?

Also, what's the date of the Spring Game...I'm Coming.
  • Aggieman
    Spring game is April 14th a Friday.
  • DrMike
    i was talking to Fred Arp (who has helped with scheduling over the years) about the Ivy's. its a challange because they start their season 2 weeks after ours. it limits the dates you could play them to the 3rd week of our season -> and they seem reluctant to fly cross country for their first game of the year, against a team with 2 game under their belt. i know USD and Poly have hosted Ivy's in the past 5 years or so. i'd love to see a home and home. you'd think an Ivy would like to come to the (outer) Bay Area for their alum.
  • movielover
    Any feedback on Spring practice? All I have heard / seen was the DE article extolling Nas.
  • movielover
    Wadman had an NFL tryout on campus.
  • movielover
    New article in the Davis Enterprise. Interesting points.

1. They want our offense to attack.
    2. Plough says our players are under developed mechanically.
    3. CJ Spencer thinks the team is closer.
  • agalum
    As I think about the last 6 or more seasons, our Aggies started off lethargic for at least the first half of the season. I hope we are more "polished" going into this next season. I am more optimistic of an improved outcome. Let us not forget "this is division l football!"
  • movielover
    If we are motivated For The Opening Bell, and unpredictable, those are two good improvements.

I think it was clear that the previous staff had lost the teams trust at least a year prior.
  • Aggieman
    Has anyone heard if the Spring Training game be available to watch on line and if so where.
  • movielover
    Sean Johnson has been active on twitter re: UCD Football, so maybe we see him this year?

FWIW, former Aggie Amonai Itaaehau has signed with the New Mexico Lobos after 2 huge years at Mesa JC in Arizona.
  • SochorField
    1. They want our offense to attack.
    2. Plough says our players are under developed mechanically.
    3. CJ Spencer thinks the team is closer.
    movielover

So, the level of coaching was sub-par.........
  • Thetoe
    Anyone know what time the spring game starts?
  • movielover
    I defer to Coach Plough.

Go Ags!
  • movielover
    Great new video I caught on Paul Creighton's Twitter feed.
  • AggieFinn

Me Likey. Wish I could be there tonight, but I know the new and improved marketing of Kevin Blue and staff will play a good chunk of it on YouTube. Any streams?
  • movielover
    San Diego State has tabbed our opener for a huge fireworks show called the KGB, so we could be playing in front of 50,000 fans.
  • Zander
    I think the KGB Skyshow is always on the first game of the year, which means that SDSU might be the only FBS team to have a higher average attendance for FCS matchups than other FBS matchups.

Last year the listed attendance was 46,400 for the New Hampshire game (though many showed up late, just for the fireworks). Factor in the increased ticket sales we apparently have from the Chargers leaving and the fact that UC Davis is local, famous, and has a riled up alumni community, and we could be looking at 55k.

Hopefully they do something creative with post-Chargers Qualcomm to make it seam less cavernously empty. And less blue-and-gold themed, considering Davis is our first matchup.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Speaking of Ags-Aztecs...Kickoff at Qualcomm set for 5:30pm.

For those interested, the Giants and Ags both visit San Diego during the same week (although a few days apart).
  • agalum
    I'm confused. Is there a spring game? The ads for picnic day include a "practice and interactive kids fest." It sounds like there will not be a spring game (?)
  • DrMike
    i think it will be more of a controlled scrimmage, lots of situational stuff. but not a traditional game.
  • agalum
    This scrimmage needs to be moved back to Aggie stadium. Parking was nearly impossible at yhe IM field. CJ was impressive with his scrambling, but his passes totally sucked. In terms of QBs, i liked #15, with #12 a close second. Go Ags
  • Zander
    Did it look like CJ regressed from last year or was he just overshadowed by the other QBs in the lineup?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!