• Toke69
    Right on the heels of the debut game against Cal, the undefeated Aggies return to Davis to play the Keelhaulers. There is not a lot of information about CSU Maritime, except they have played 3 games already and lost all three to what I assume are NAIA schools. Their leading scorer is 6'0" guard Lee Jones, Jr. who averages 14.7 ppg. They are an NAIA school located in the California Pacific Conference. The last time the Ags played the Keelhaulers, it was a 78-41 UCD victory. The game will be available on ESPN+.
  • Toke69
    If you can't find the game, I suggest searching ESPN+ for UC Davis. It's there.
  • Toke69
    Pepper not starting. I did not hear a reason. Not a large crowd and no sailors in sight.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pepper sprained his ankle in the final 2 minutes of the Cal game.

Sloppy play by the Aggies so far.
  • BlueGoldAg
    ESPN+ is having a lot of technical problems. Also Live Stats is not working.

Ags don't look like they are mentally into this game. Tied at 14.
  • Toke69
    Dante Ross from the 1998 NCAA II championship team is doing the commentary.
  • agalum
    Pepper in street clothes. Ags don’t seem serious
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hate to say it but this is beginning to remind me of the Academy of Art embarrassments...
  • Toke69
    Broadcast seems to have settled down. Ags offense hasn't. Come to think of it, the defense is hardly sparkling. I agree with agalum, they're not taking CMA seriously. They have a big win hangover.
  • Toke69
    ESPN finally showing game stats.
  • Toke69
    Is it Ty Johnson or T. Y. Johnson?
  • Toke69
    If ESPN+ hasn't fixed the brownouts by the second half, I'm just going to follow the game on the boxscore. I'm guessing everyone else has given up on it already.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’ve tried to watch but it’s frustrating (video). Ags seem to have settled down. Pepper and Adebayo not playing. Good to see( sort of) Henry out there. Another big body
  • BlueGoldAg
    Scott Marsh is saying T. Y. also so I think the Cal announcers had it right.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anigwe has played 13 minutes and has 11 points. Johnson with 16 in 12 minutes of PT.
  • agalum
    30% on the 3s. They’re just not dropping
  • BlueGoldAg
    ESPN+ has been a mess for this game...practically unwatchable...
  • Toke69
    It seems to be fixed now. No problems through the first several minutes of the second half.
  • SoCalAggie
    I’m seeing technical difficulties- so it’s broken?
  • Toke69
    Nuts! I just jinxed it.
  • Toke69
    I'm out. I was hoping to see some of the depth here, but I don't think ESPN puts a lot of resources into these games. I hope the Loyola game is on a regular network. I didn't know that Pepper hurt his ankle. Does anyone know his prognosis?
  • agalum
    Pepper wasn’t walking with a limp.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I said earlier no Anigwe. I meant no Adebayo.

Looks like Mani is having a productive night. I thought he might redshirt but I guess not.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags win 90-67.
  • AggieFinn2
    Perhaps their struggles today could be attributed to a lack of seasoning since they were without Pepper.
  • movielover
    FWIW, Sac lost to UCLA 76-50.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Coach Les was not happy with his team's performance despite the margin of victory.

“This was a step back,” Les said flatly.

“On defense especially, our intensity was just not there. We were not dictating play, we were reacting. It’s all correctable, but it was certainly not up to our standards.”

The casual fan might argue that such a letdown was predictable after the big win in Berkeley just two days prior, but Les rejected that notion.

“We have a certain expectation of how we want to play,” he added.

“Good teams have an almost businesslike identity, no matter who the opponent is. You have to bring it every night, know your job and do it. Otherwise, this game will humble you and there were times tonight when that’s what happened.”

“Our starters didn’t get us going and we just weren’t aggressive on defense,” Les noted.

“It’s up to us as coaches to teach them and correct that. You have to respect every opponent, but we didn’t show the maturity we would like.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-aggies-assert-superiority-over-keelhaulers/
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I would say being without Pepper and Adebayo had a lot to do with our lax defense. Not that that’s an excuse as the next player up has to bring that intensity. But those two have been in the program a long time and provide that extra spark. Hopefully they are both back on Saturday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We all know that Les preaches defense first and foremost and he feels that tough defense leads to good offense. He expects everyone on the team to play hard, fundamentally sound defense every minute they are in the game. Pepper and Adebayo are two of the best defenders on the team. Having both of them out was significant for sure but, as you said, it's not an excuse for a lack of intensity and effort.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!