• Goags20172
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to make any games since the 2nd Sac State game due to illness,but I have been following each game via live stats. Too often Senior Days become farces, and today''s game was close to being one.

If I'm not mistaken the Aggies honored these departing seniors:

RHP Justin Mullins
    RHP Zach Stone
    OF Mark Cardinalli
    C Ignacio Diaz
    C Elijah Ontiveros
    1B Cameron Olson
    1B Mason Novak
    SS Jacob Thomas

Only 1 surprise there in Stone, who has a year remaining of eligibility due to redshirtingl ast year, but it''s likely he simply finished his degree + doesn't have a reason to come back for another year. This seems reasonable since the website says he''s majoring in managerial economics. While that isn't a slacker major by any means it seemed to be a less demanding courseload than than for the more intense math + science majors. It''s one of those a student athlete could finish in 4,maybe less with the help of a couple general ed summer school classes Either way I wish him well. He has been a solid pitcher for the Aggies,

These departures leave a gaping hole at catcher, the rotaion, and in the bullpen.

Stone has easily been the best reliever this year + there''s a steep drop-off in effectiveness after him. Mullins has pitched his best ball in his last few starts and I think there''s a decent chance Razo is drafted. That leaves you Garcia and maybe Blais, who has 1 career win as a starter (Michigan), for your weekend rotation next year + a bunch of question marks. I like Hannah''s potential but he hardly got any work this year. I don't see where UCD really recruited any pitchers who can step into the rotation right away so we have to hope they recruit some decent JC pitchers or get a D-I transfer, maybe a guy who''s homesick and isn't playing much where he is now.

Catcher is a huge concern. They return no one who''s even caught a full game above the JC level. If the 2018 season started tomorrow it would likely be redshirt Jackson O'Boy starting, unless Logan Denholm can come back and catch. Houston Roberts has just a few innings behind the plate to show for 2 years at Davis. If he were being groomed to start he, not Ontiveros, would've started on Diaz' off days. Catching is super important to pitchers' success, and you can't leave it up yto inexperienced players only.

Not as worried about the infield and outfield. Pluschke'll can handle shortstop capably if need be, and they shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent first baseman (Anderson ? Salazar ?)

The outfield is now an area of depth on the corners. The team needs to focus on developing center fielders, as they can play all over the outfield.

Given the team usually has some attrition with would-be returning players ( mostly walk-ons) I figure the 2018 team will have at least 12 new players. I'll get into my projections for 2018 more after the draft and when I'm feeling better
  • PortlandAggie

Does Zach Stone have any eligibility left?
  • crocodile63
    Yes. He has one more year.
    He will be a graduate student at Arizona. Heard rumor he couldn't get into a graduate program at Davis.
  • Goags20172
    Graduate programs can be ridiculously difficult to get into at UCD. Too many hoops to jump through. I wonder if he'll actually play for U of A. I can't imagine he receives an athletic scholarship for just 1 year. Grad school can be pretty time-consuming.
  • movielover
    Bruce G. thinks baseball turned a corner. Think so?
  • Goags20172
    Only in terms of homerun power. They lose some of that with Olson leaving, but it should be replaced by Denholm, assuming he''s going to play (First base ? Catcher?) The team still struggled to execute with men in scoring position. I will concede that several players took a step forward offensively.

Pitching is likely to be a big mess. Mullins and Stone graduated. Razo and Garcia both signed pro contracts per the draft database at Baseballamerica. They leaned very heavily on those 4 in 2017. The new recruits may be good, but they'really true freshmen. True frosh pitches usually don't make an immediate impact at UCD. I' say the pitching staff took a big step back for 2018. At least in 2016 you could identify pitchers to start. Aside from Blais and maybe Hannah I haven't any idea who starts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!