• BlueGoldAg
    The link below is an outstanding video interview with Kevin Blue about the challenges of being a young D1 AD and the differences between FCS and FBS athletics administration. Blue is a articulate, data driven, visionary AD and I hope we are able to keep him around for a long time.

http://athleticdirectoru.com/video/the-millennial-ad-uc-davis-kevin-blue/
  • 69aggie
    Interesting that the host asked about the major challenges of running a FCS vs. FBS program. Basically Blues answer was: assistant coaches; FCS assistants trend to be young, inexperienced and not very good coaches. Not so in FBS programs says Blue. I think we saw that here for at least the past 20 years or so. Before that, with Sochor, it was not a problem unless you think losing a Hawkins or a Peterson or a Belotti (and many more) as an assistant coach to a FBC program was a problem. I think not. This is one reason I think Hawkins can do better than Gould. He knows our history of brining new young coaches up thru the ranks and on to success and can sell that to help get new and better coaches. We are a known producer of great coaches. Anyway, great video. I hope we keep him. . . .
  • movielover
    Can he fundraise?

It seems like he is continuing on Teresa Gould's path of expanding the number "management" staff in ICA.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I hate the term "millenial"...and I am one.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Kevin Blue is making a huge improvement in donations to the Aggie Athletics according to a news release by the Athletics Department:

Excerpt:

July 14, 2017
    "DAVIS, Calif. - When the 2016-17 academic year ended on June 30, so did a highly successful fundraising year for UC Davis Athletics. The Aggies saw a bourgeoning donor base provide support at historic levels: Donations, benefitting over 60 funds within the department, reached an all-time high of $4.9 million, breaking the previous record (set in 2010-2011) by nearly $1.3 million."

This is outstanding news. Congratulations to Kevin Blue and his staff!

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/genrel/071417aaa.html
  • movielover
    That sounds promising, but it comes down to details. One or two large checks could account for the record.. which is still great... but we also need numbers. Great news either way.

The fully endowed coaching position for water polo was huge, and long overdue. Along with facilities we need to build our endowments.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's a good start in the right direction!
  • PortlandAggie
    From the article above:

Note: On Wednesday in Part 2 of the Blue interview, the 34-year-old administrator talks specifics about the baseball batting and fielding facility, training quarters and meeting rooms and the new women’s athletics fundraising outreach called the Marya Welch Initiative. Blue also provides a personal assessment of his first year on campus.

Yet I'm unable to locate Part 2, does anyone have a link? Thanks.
  • movielover
    It's up. I wish there was more new information and less rehash.

Given that TeamAggie membership seems modest, where do the millions in fundraising come from? Corporate and commercial sponsorships?
  • 69aggie
    He mentioned the softball facility. Does anyone know if the plan is to move the softball field to a new location or just upgrade the present site. I have always thought that the present location was bad for a number of reasons including a total lack of parking.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!