• Goags20172
    I saw something interesting when doing an Internet search earlier today. I did a Google search for "UC Davis Baseball 2018". It pulled up Vaughn''s contract with UC Davis ! Since he is an employee of a public university this is public information, but it was still surprising to see it.

Some things I took away from it:

The contract expires after the 2018 season for certain.

There are expected performance/conduct clauses.

Looks like he makes a fraction of the basketball coach''s salary. Actually seems pretty low for a D-I baseball coach. According to the terms it appears he had a set amount due him if he were terminated in each of the previous 3 seasons, not the balance of his contract, so the university wouldn't have been on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Like Terry Tumey''s contract there''s a clause that requires him to seek other employment if he''s due termination pay. Interestingly, Tumey''s signature was needed on this contract.

With Dr. Blue looking to shake things up I would not be surprised to see them make a change after June next year if the team doesn't make a very substantial improvement, especially now that I've seen the language of the contract

This isn't shocking information by any means, but still an interesting document to read. I'm not including the figures or providing the link, but you can find the document fairly easily if you use the search criteria I referenced above.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Along these same lines is why the salary for say a Cal football coach is so widely known, yet nobody has any concrete details on David Shaw's contract.
  • 69aggie
    college baseball has to be one of the weirdess sports to coach. low salaries not many schollies and your stars getting drafted year in year out. to improve this program will really test Blues abilities.
  • Goags20172
    If you're referring to the Stanford football coach, Wikipedia says he makes $3.9 million per year.
  • Goags20172
    There was a HS recruiting board I saw the other day (will post the link if I find it)again) on which one would-be recruit''s parent was stating UCD told his son they don't offer baseball scholarships to out-of-state players due to the extra tuition pricing him out of the department budget. I don't know if this is true, but I can't remember any out-of state baseball players during the D-I era. I remember in the late 90''s the Aggies had a shortstop from TX, but he probably wasn't on an athletic scholarship.

If true it just goes to show how under-funded the baseball program is compared to other programs. The basketball and football programs hand out these scholarships every year.
  • 69aggie
    I tend to look at what cal poly is doing compared to us. They have an excellent baseball program and we do not. CP fields 21 sports teams. We field 23 (MWP, WWP and WFH that CP doesn't field) . Our sports budget is 32 million vrs. 28 for CP. (I don't think the 3 programs we have that CP doesn't costs 4 million to run, but maybe so). Anyway that means both universities operate with roughly equal budgets, yet CP's program appears on the whole to be slightly more successful than ours. But specific to baseball, very much more successful than ours assuming a roughly the same budget. So something is wrong here and I don't think its a lack of lights. Could it be recruiting? Coaching? Higher tuition? I don't think its a budget thing.
  • aggie6thman
    I think CP tapped into donors a while ago (Spanos, Krukow, etc.) and have been able to build auxiliary buildings and new facilities to support their programs. It also helps that it costs less money to go to a CSU than a UC meaning they can free up more cash for improvements and not have to spend it all on tuition.
  • 69aggie
    Probably true. I never understood why a UOP alum came to become such a big cal poly donor.
  • aggie6thman
    "Alex G. Spanos founded A. G. Spanos Companies in 1960 and has owned the San Diego Chargers since 1982. In addition to attending all Charger games during the National Football League season, Spanos also has played golf with best friend Bob Hope on some of the most prestigious courses around the world and was invited to represent the United States in the 1960 British Amateur Championship.

Spanos was an aerospace engineering major at Cal Poly, attending the university in 1941 and 1942. He then enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, serving until the war ended in 1945. While a Cal Poly student, he participated in men's swimming and diving and was the drum major for the Mustang Marching Band.

Following his military service, Spanos earned varsity letters in both swimming and diving at College of the Pacific in 1946."

http://www.calpolymustangs.com/inside_athletics/hof/Spanos_Alex?view=bio
  • movielover
    We seem to have added a lot of Assoc ADs and Ass ADs the past few years. I'm sure some are replacements, but I wonder, net, how many we have added. Those aren't cheap slots.
  • 69aggie
    No question, Spanos was/is a great benefactor of both CP and UOP. I do not think we have any alum who is a billionaire like he is. As to the (new?) Assoc. ADs and Assist ADs, I really do not know. I do know that there are a lot of areas that were not so important in the past that are now. Like academics support and compliance, title 9 and such. Is it true that because Gould was hired by Fresno we do not owe him the buy out of his contract? If so, that's a significant savings to the ICA budget.
  • movielover
    He was hired by Stanford.
  • 69aggie
    He is probably making more there than he did here as HC. So, no buyout?
  • movielover
    I don't believe so, just the few months where he had a break.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!