• Goags20172
    I just realized this season marks the first occurrence in major league baseball history of former UC Davis (Ty Kelly) and SAC State (Rhys Hoskins) players being on the same team.

Aggies and Hornets have been on the same minor league team before. The most recent example I recall was in 2013 when Justin Fitzgerald and Mitch Lively pitched for the Triple- A Fresno Grizzlies, then a Giants affiliate. That in itself was very random. While Fitzgerald was originally drafted and signed by San Francisco in 2008, Lively was signed from an independent minor league team, the San Angelo Colts,after Colorado released him. In fact I saw them both start against the River Cats in a series on two occasions that year. Fitzgerald retired from professional baseball after his release from the Diamondbacks' AA team in 2014, whereas Lively is still pitching, in Mexico I believe.

Before Hoskins made his debut the most recent Hornet major leaguers pitched in 1993 (Gary Wilson and Roland De la Maza), according to baseball- almanac.com . Before Daniel Descalso made his debut for St. Louis in 2010, pitcher Steve Brown was the only Aggie to have played in the majors (1983- 1984 with the Angels). No Hornets were in the majors during those seasons. Descalso himself was apparently unaware he was about to become the 2nd Aggie to play in the majors when I told him about it at a Memphis Redbirds/River Cats game.

Kelly (drafted in 2009) and Hoskins (2014) never played against each other in college
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Great find, GoAgs! What a crazy coincidence!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!