• movielover
    Long sought upgrades begin. Haven't seen a department release on what will be done, or where the funds came from.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UCDavisSB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    They definitely need to add concessions (real ones like at Dobbins or Aggie Stadium) and restrooms. I went a few softball games, but their port-a-potties /outhouses are something you'd see at Sac State (not kidding).
  • Goags20172
    You know- I must have never used the restrooms at LaRue Field during any of the games I attended as a student because it never occurred to me they had port- a- potties. Even before the Dobbins gift baseball still had trailers with running water, which were still superior to what Sac State has now.

Sac really has a limit on how much it can upgrade it's facilities even with unlimited donor support. There's no room to put in permanent restrooms for softball unless they take out the tennis courts. Similar for baseball- they'd have to take out part of the field where athletes practice (mainly football).
  • 69aggie
    Maybe I’m wrong, but no tennis courts anywhere near LaRue field; ditto no football practice facility near Dobbins. But they could be there now, haven’t been there in awhile. I would like to see pics of the LaRue upgrades.
  • Goags20172
    I was talking about SAC State since BaseballatDobbins mentioned their facilities
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I thought I saw a baseball game at SS and I still think I did at some point, but in looking back through old photos, it was actually a softball game from Spring of 2011 after I had graduated but still lived in town. Still their facilities were not impressive. Also, I really hate Sac's high bleachers at Hornet Stadium. Always afraid of dropping stuff on those rickety seats on the Aggie side.
    Attachment
    softball (113K)
  • Goags20172
    The baseball and softball fields are very close at SAC State, only separated by a parking garage and a narrow road.

Pretty much all of the athletic facilities there are old and outdated. Some were built in the 50's when there were a lot fewer students and the school was moved from it's previous location (The present- day SAC City College campus). The student population ballooned, but athletics support didn't on account of it being a commuter campus. No matter how well they do the only sport where the crowd threatens to overflow the venue is Men's basketball. However, it's also a 1200 seat facility. You build a 3000 seat arena (like the one the students refused to fund) and you'll have at least 1700 empty seats per game.

They really don't have room to expand. If they want to build a basketball arena they have to tear down the whole gym complex and get rid of their pool + connecting coaches offices. Baseball and softball can't expand their stadiums because they're flush up against the street and other important structures. Soccer could put in some permanent seating.

To be fair they've made a real effort to improve the fan experience at baseball games (haven't been to softball since 2005). My first year of grad school baseball and softball just had temporary bleachers. Over the summer after it they built the current structures with largely volunteer labor. "The John"is still a great place to watch a game,especially now that it has lights. Day games in April/May are often miserably hot on account of the raised metal bleachers that sit well above field level. Also the wheelchair ramp seems kind of shaky to me.

They have a decent snack stand (better hot dogs and chips than at Dobbins), but the staff is pretty disorganized and often you can't buy anything until the 2nd inning or so. Sac City College has a better baseball stadium though. The gallery below the stands where you can watch the game from the level of the catcher is pretty neat

Those creaky old steps and bleachers are the reason I haven't attended a SAC State football game in almost 3 years now. In 1997 or 98 somebody actually fell through the steps and died at The Causeway Classic. The students get the good seats that don't require scaling the scary staircase. Still I have trouble understanding how the home stands stay up, let alone support an elevator and a press box. The visitors stands are less scary, but the visibility is poor. After 2002 or 2003 I said no more Causeway Classics at SAC State. People were blocking my view constantly.
  • 69aggie
    Any news/pics of the LaRue Field upgrades?
  • movielover
    Go to their Twittet site. Outfield sod down, new backstop poles up.
  • Davisbear
    Are they going to build permanent stands or just bleachers? It would be nice to see some permanent stands with some shade!!
  • Goags20172
    With only two months until the season starts I would guess temporary bleachers for 2018. Although there's still technically enough time to install pre- fab seating weather may be a serious impediment.
  • movielover
    Concrete backstop poured...
  • 69aggie
    Are you saying the field will be lighted?
  • movielover
    Tweet says lights over batting cages.
  • movielover
    Cement Pad down for stands and visitors dugout.
  • Davisbear
    I saw some pics showing the dugout. I was surprised that they were cheap T-111 siding. I was thinking that they would build them in cinder block. They just look like they will look shabby in a short period of time!
  • 69aggie
    Looks like the gals are doing really well. I have not seen any pics of the new field. Anyone have them?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Do they have actual locker rooms with the upgrades too? Or is it a M/WSOC & Baseball deal.
  • movielover
    Check Twitter.
  • GoAgsSB
    Here's a few pictures that they posted on their Twitter / Instagram

Go Ags!

pro0t5dt54zuvn1h.jpg
    iwp3j665x3xg3tko.jpg
    d5zl3xl0sqk882q4.jpg
    hd5huiit2ueij5zs.jpg
    8opz6ygr1gu6yie9.jpg
  • 69aggie
    So where is the team room building and are the dugouts actually dugout?
  • GoAgsSB
    Dugouts are ground level but their old dugouts were chainlink fences with dirt floors. These appear huge in comparison.

Also, the team room building is down the right field line right next to the batting cages but it still isn't finished yet. There is a tractor that is fenced off and parked right in front of the building.
  • 69aggie
    I love those girls!! Great addition by the AD.
  • Zander
    Am I looking at it right that the team building is just sheet metal? That looks rough for afternoon games. I hope there's AC or several good fans in there.

Edit: also I like the lockers with player names on top. Details like that matter for impressing recruits I imagine.
  • movielover
    They need to add a painted blanket on the wall with 6 dogs smoking cigars, playing cards. Will make it feel like home.
  • Davisbear
    Nice to see improvements. Hopefully they finish off the locker room and make it look first class. These improvements should help recruiting!!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!