• CA Forever
    Last game against a ranked opponent (Weber St.) didn't go so well. Hopefully we can make up for it in this one. Both offenses are on fire, could come down to which defense can stop the other team's offense for 1 or 2 more drives.
  • movielover
    On their fan board they were complaining about having a few injuries... and I think being unable to stop the run.

Most meaningful game in how many years?
  • agalum
    Their QB, Gubrub, is the 3rd ranked QB in the FCS. Maier is 4th. This should be a high scoring game. It might boil down to who has the ball in the last few minutes. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs
  • DrMike
    i was 'wtaching' the EWU-Sac game via GameStats on Saturday. In the first half, Sac got it to 21-17 (after being down 21-0) before EWU scored in the first minute to take it to 28-17. almost all of Sac's first half yards were by run. they ended up with 307, with their QB going for 120. like to see us get the run going, get their offense off the field a bit. not sure we can win a track meet with these guys.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I watched a little bit of the Sac at EWU game also. Sac's QB, a transfer from UNLV, is an impressive athlete who is a dual threat and he can create something out of nothing. He had a lot to do with the number of rushing yards EWU gave up.
  • DrMike
    Just a little trivia. after 5 games, we're 3-2. last time we were over .500 at this stage? anyone? how about 2004 when we started off 5-0 (ended 6-4!). the stanford season (2005)? nope, 2-3. the year we beat San Jose (2010)? nope, 2-3. since 2005, we've had 1 0-5, 5 1-4's and 5 2-3's (most of those featuring a D2 win). so, hard not to feel pretty good about the Ags, especially with Brewfest coming!
  • Riveraggie
    it's also fun that our style of play still looks like old time Aggie football. Every game from here out we have a chance of winning. Can't predict which ones will fall our way. Makes each week suspenseful.
  • movielover
    Several things I really like. Lots of players contributing. Every week we seem to see something new, so maybe that is a combination of an expanded playbook and a different strategy for each game. This weekend it was tight end heavy.

BTW, the PR announcer called one play a reverse... wasn't that a double reverse?

We need to stay HUMBLE. After Weber State waxed us, their coach repeatedly said they need to stay humble. ... We beat a team plagued with injuries that several teams have rolled up huge numbers against. This is a huge TEST. Go Ags!
  • AggieFinn
    Should we just start this game at 7-7?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I have plans this weekend or else I would have tried to sneak back to campus for this one. Darn.
  • Zander
    Think we'll continue to see that wildcat formation with Spencer? It looked to have middling results and was called in a lot of short-yardage situations.

It would be interesting to see if we could sustain a drive with it to really wear the clock down.
  • SochorField
    Think we'll continue to see that wildcat formation with Spencer?Zander

I he throws from it (and completes a couple passes), it could really be a weapon.
  • agalum
    Exactly. He did toss from it against SDU, but he over threw his giy by a long shot. CJ just doesnt have the touch on the ball that Maier has.
  • DrMike
    in his defense, they called a fade route to Doss on a play we hiked from the left hash mark. that's about a 35-yard toss! i think they got lost on what side of the field the ball was on when they made that call. or it was a quick read based on the defense, but, not the wisest choice.
  • Zander
    I'm trying to remember, has CJ always been overthrowing receivers at Davis? I seem to remember he won at least one game as a starting QB; it's not like he hasn't been able to move the ball in his career.
  • DrMike
    He had back to back 300 yard games in 2015 v poly and sac completing about 65% of his passes with no int. Never got much of a chance last year after the injury vs southern Oregon. Looks to be rushing things now. Need to give him a couple easy passes to get some confidence and make wildcat pass a threat.
  • movielover
    +1. We need a situation where we can get him some PT with expanded options.

I am so thrilled to see a real offense again. Many games I went to the past few years, former players and high school coaches were predicting our plays in the stands.
  • movielover
    Two quick notes. FR Fabian Hunkin is load, now 6'2", 290. Haven't seen this name, DB Evan Barney is a walk on from Clayton Valley HS.
  • SochorField
    Yeah, that was a tough one. Watched it on my phone. Tough to come in cold and throw a corner endzone strike.

CJ led us to victory vs. Cal Poly and in the Causeway in 2015. Jake has been everything we could ask for and more from a QB in his first year in the program, but CJ could really screw defenses up in a pinch. We know he can run hard, but he can sling it too!

Its great to have many offensive weapons.
  • movielover
    And we haven't seen WR Jared Harrell!
  • Riveraggie
    Davis predicted winner by computer algorithm. *

UC DAVIS 33.84 - 28.23 eastern Washington

•Sugarin has a "new feature" which predicts winners by various methods. The one that has us the winner compares strength of offense vs defense for each team, called "offense defense".
    I think it is worth mentioning as it's an indicator that we have a legitimate chance to win this week.
  • agalum

I agree, we have a legit chance. There is an old saying in boxing, "dont hook with a hooker." If we get in an offensive battle with these guys, i think we will be "hooking with a hooker." Our defense is going to have to make more stops then their D. If our D has a good game, i think we win.
  • CA Forever
    Our defense hasn't been tested by an air raid offense this season so far so it tough to say how they will do against EWU.
  • Riveraggie
    I think for an FCS team our secondary is pretty good, although we don't have much of a pass rush without blitzing. I'd prefer we play a pass oriented team than one that is very strong rushing. Famous last words. We are going to have to score above our average to win this week, I think.
  • movielover
    I read this saying somewhere recently... did a recent article inspire this reference?

Do we have the backs to grind it a little? Thomas is built, we have a few FB and could go wildcat some.... it should be fun. It could be a 52 - 49 game.

ND seemed to be testing the Frosh Duncan at DB.
  • agalum
    ↪agalum I read this saying somewhere recently... did a recent article inspire this reference?

I put something similar on the Eagles forum. Maybe you read it there :).
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I can't wait! My first game in five seasons! Is it Saturday yet? About to buy my seats on the grass and cheer hard for our Ags!
  • zythe
    John Madden: In order for the Aggies to win they have to score more points than the opposing team. A great way to do this is to score touchdowns and make field goals...
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Boy I'm sure glad this game is at home. That has to give us an edge.
  • AggieFinn

Reading that article reminds me how badly we got outcoached by EWU at halftime. They absolutely came out and destroyed us in qtrs. 3 and 4 the past two matchups.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!