• Davisbear
    What assistant coach would you keep around? Most new coaches keep one holdover to kind of be a bridge to the players and help navigate program logistics.
  • aggie6thman
    I think it depends on who the new coach is. If the assistants don't fit in with whatever scheme the new coach runs it would be hard to keep them around. I do hope they all find a spot, whether it is here at UCD or elsewhere.
  • SochorField
    Seems like a tough gig to be an assistant. Tough on the family to move around a lot.

I do hope at least of couple of these guys are kept in Davis. They work real hard.
  • CA Forever
    Especially since there were rumors that the assistants tried to reason with Gould in terms of changing things up because of the record and he wouldn't have any of it. I don't know any validity behind that rumor, but I heard it nonetheless. They seem like good guys.
  • PortlandAggie
    FRESNO, Calif. – Fresno State head football coach Jeff Tedford announced Wednesday that Bert Watts will be joining his staff for the 2017 football season as the Bulldogs' assistant coach for linebackers

Source
  • CA Forever
    Beat me to it, was just about to post this. Good for Coach Watts!
  • movielover
    Congratulations to Coach Watts.

Fresh State vs UC Davis in 2021?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Having made the trip in 2009....no.
  • OldAggie
    Two assistants have ready been told they are back. Not going to reveal their names until I hear it from Hawkins. Not daft or Watts, obviously. congrats to our former DC, he was snatched up almost the day Hawk released him, and in his case his time at UCD didn't hurt him. Not sure it will go that way for daft, but I truly hope he gets a job asap. It will likely be a lot harder for the lower assistants. A lot of these guys are family men, and there is a lot more at risk for them than wins and losses. You are Aggies for life now...we will claim you for sure when you hit the big time.
  • movielover
    Why? ... rough crowd / behavior?

OldAggie, wide receivers coach McCann sure seems to have landed some talented speed at wideout the past few years.
  • aggie6thman
    Hanes and McCann are still out recruiting. My bet is that both of them were kept by Hawkins.
  • aggie6thman
    "What haaaaaapeeennnnned?!"
  • OldAggie
    Watched Fresneck play on ESPN in the early 2000's, and the commentator was saying it was out of control. Reno was pretty unreasonable a few years ago, including inappropriate remarks to our cheerleaders. I love McCann...energy galore.
  • aggie6thman
    You could hear the glass bottles clanking down the rows during the game at Fresno. I have no desire to ever go back to Bulldog Stadium.
  • OldAggie
    Lol, I love Reno games, but not all Reno fans.
  • aggie6thman
    I love Reno, it is one giant dive bar. Might be why one of my favorite places is Plainfield Station.
  • aggie6thman
    Ok, here are the assistants from this year's team.

Kevin Daft - Assistant Coach (offensive coord./QB's))
    Bert Watts - Assistant Coach (defensive coord./safeties) - Headed to Fresno State
    Paul Creighton - Assistant Coach (tight ends, recruiting coordinator)
    Pat McCann - Assistant Coach (receivers)
    Jim Chapin - Assistant Coach (running backs)
    Wes Nurse - Assistant Coach (cornerbacks)
    David Braun - Assistant Coach (defensive line)
    Bryant Haines - Assistant Coach (linebackers)
    Bob Foster - Assistant Coach (consultant)
    Tim Keane - Assistant Coach (offensive line)
    Gabe Manzanares - Offensive Quality Control
    Travis Mart - Special Teams Quality Control
    John Gomes - Defensive Quality Control
    Cody Tescher - Director of Football Operations
    Timothy Ornelas - Director of Video Services
  • movielover
    Plainfield Station is too nice to be a dive bar... now, a classy biker bar in an episode of Waling Dead, that's a possibility... or a place Anthony Bourdain could get falling down drunk (on camera). ... Bordain got hammered in a bar in North Beach I've walked by a hundred times but never ventured into... I need to remedy that.
  • aggie6thman
    Based just off of social media, I would say McCann, Haines, and Creighton are sticking around. These guy are out recruiting the day lights out of California.
  • UCDavisFootball
    I would think that Coach Nurse will still be around as he goes back to the days at Boise with Coach Hawk. Need to keep a few coaches on staff to make an easy first year transition and keep ties with recruits. The need for both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators will be where the next big splash needs to come from. I would venture to say that these two positions will be filled by two qualified coaches, that can also recruit at the highest level.
  • UCDavisFootball
    I would think that Coach Nurse will still be around as he goes back to the days at Boise with Coach Hawk. Need to keep a few coaches on staff to make an easy first year transition and keep ties with recruits. The need for both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators will be where the next big splash needs to come from. I would venture to say that these two positions will be filled by two qualified coaches, that can also recruit at the highest level.
  • CA Forever
    We have a defensive coordinator. LA Valley College HC Robert Tucker reportedly is the new DC. LA Valley went 11-0 this last season.

Reading up on him he has ties to Boise State, Colorado, Willamette, the USA National Football Team, and has coached internationally (France). Sounds like a Dan Hawkins type of guy! Welcome Coach Tucker!

• NewGuy
    We'll potentially pick-up a couple of recruits from LAVC and/or other Junior Colleges.
  • CA Forever
    Well we did just offer Ahkil Crumpton from LAVC recently.
  • movielover
    Sounds like he may have worked with Hawk in the past?
  • CA Forever
    With that many crossovers at the same institutions I would say it's very likely that they have worked together before. In fact, yes... Tucker was on Hawk's staff in Colorado and Boise State.
  • NewGuy
    Coach Tucker was DC for Team USA HC Hawk. Nice connect!
  • CA Forever
    Sooooooo... who was the offensive coordinator on that team? >:O

To answer my own question, it was Paul Wulff is has most recently been with Sac State.
  • PortlandAggie
    Interesting that LA Valley College Offensive Coordinator was/is Cody Hawkins
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!