• BlueGoldAg
    Coach Jen Gross continues to find top talent for her highly successful Women's BB team. She just signed two high scoring guards for next year: Cierra Jo McKeown a 5'9 JC transfer from Walla Walla Community College in Washington and Mahalia Sanders a 5'9 guard from Foothill HS in Sacramento.

Bios here: http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/110817aab.html
  • Goags20172
    What I found impressive in that article was that McKeown is the first Aggie junior college player since the beginning of the Division I era..10 years! Of course they've had a few 4- year college transfers.

The men's team has had all kinds of transfers. Their best player is a JC transfer.

And how could we put together a football roster w/o JC players ?

I think it just goes to show that the women's basketball program is recruiting the right student-athletes from high schools, and they're sticking around for 4 years. As a result transfers aren't needed as much.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You just don't see the kind of transferring in and out of programs in women's basketball like you do in the men's game. Women's BB at the highest levels is different than the men since it has not succumbed to being a showcase for the most elite players who hope to play in the NBA someday. There isn't a great amount of opportunity for women BB players to go pro and make a good living at it.

Consequently, the women tend to take in consideration a bigger picture for playing college basketball and put more of an emphasis on academics and the quality of their education for career opportunities and the overall college experience.

The pool of the very elite women's basketball players is much smaller than for the men and most of those elite players are recruited by the perennial powers Connecticut, Notre Dame, Baylor, Tennessee and Stanford etc. After those major, power programs there is more parity among schools that are developing good programs, like UCD, so Jen Gross can entice players with the qualities of UCD and the fact the program is on the rise.
  • Zander
    Though MBB, Football, and I guess MSOC are catching up I feel like WBB has quietly been the class of the UCD spectator sports for the last few years -- quality student-athletes, near the top of the conference in attendance, good academic ratings, home games against top programs, multiple postseason runs, and now finally consistent performance on the court.

Even then though, having the same recruiting class from a few years back produce four of the top players in the conference including possibly the top 2 overall is outright insanity.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Coach Les has said, "We are just swimming in their wake." They could be very special this year since they lost only one back-up player and they have gotten even deeper. Their goal is to make it into the NCAA tournament and win some game. They'll be exciting to watch this year and deserve to be supported by Aggie fans.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    We’ll get a good gauge tomorrow against wsu. Should be a good revenge match.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm looking forward to that one.

Go Ags!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!