• BlueGoldAg
    The competition for the 4-1 Aggies steps up a notch as they make their first appearance ever in the 2016 Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage. Here is the tournament schedule:

MEN’S TOURNAMENT (BRACKET)
    All times adjusted to Pacific Time

Wednesday, Nov. 23 – First Round
    8:00 pm - Buffalo vs Alaska Anchorage (CBSSN/GCI)
    10:30 pm - Oakland vs Nevada (CBSSN)

Thursday, Nov. 24 – First Round
    6:30 pm - Drake vs Iona (CBSSN)
    9:00 pm - UC Davis vs Weber State (CBSSN)

Friday, Nov. 25 – Consolation Semis & Semifinals
    Aggies will play either Drake or Iona

1:00 pm - Buffalo/UAA loser vs Oakland/Nevada loser (GCI)
    3:00 pm - Drake/Iona loser vs UCD/Weber loser (GCI)
    6:30 pm - Buffalo/UAA winner vs Oakland/Nevada winner (CBSSN)
    9:00 pm - Drake/Iona winner vs UCD/Weber winner (CBSSN)

Saturday, Nov. 26
    1 pm - 7th/8th Place: Game 5 loser vs Game 6 loser (GCI)
    3:00 pm - 4th/6th Place: Game 5 winner vs Game 6 winner (GCI)
    6:30 pm - 3rd/5th Place: Game 7 loser vs Game 8 loser (GCI)
    9:30 pm - Championship: Game 7 winner vs Game 8 winner (CBSSN)

There are some very good mid-major teams in this tournament. Here are their current records:

Alaska Anchorage Seawolves (4-2) are a very good DII team that was 38-3 last year and the NCAA DII runnerup for 2016.

Buffalo Bulls (4-2) were 20-15 last year and lost in the first round of the NCAA.

Drake Bulldogs (2-2) are coming off a 7-24 season last year.

Iona Gaels (0-2) were 22-11 last year after losing in the first round of the NCAA.

Nevada Wolf Pack (3-1) were 23-12 last year and won the 2016 CBI Tournament.

Oakland Grizzlies (4-0) finished 23-12 last year and were the runnerup in the Vegas 16 Tournament

Weber State (1-2) were 26-9 last year and lost in the first round of the NCAA.

The Aggies first round game is against the Big Sky Conference perennial power Weber State. The Wildcats have made it into the NCAA tournament 4 times since 2003 but have lost in the first round. They have also played in 5 other post-season tournaments since 2009. They enter the game with the Aggies with a record of 1-2 after crushing Antelope Valley 123-65 (AV hung tough with Sac State before losing by 18) and then losing to on the road to Pepperdine and Stanford.

Tip off Thursday for the Ags vs Weber State is 9 pm Pacific Time

Live tv if you get CBS Sports Network

Go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie
    What's the status of Garrison Goode? I think someone said he was wearing a boot on his foot.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I haven't heard anything. He did have a boot on his right foot and was in street clothes at the Golden One Center. I saw a picture on Coach Les twitter account of the team having an early Thanksgiving in Anchorage and he was with the team so, hopefully, he'll be available.
  • aggie6thman
    I watched Anchorage vs Buffalo and am watching Nevada vs Oakland and I'm glad we are in the other bracket. Oakland and Nevada aren't the most talented teams but they both crash the boards, are big and athletic.

The talent level is definitely higher in this tournament than the one in Santa Clara!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Your right, 6th, we got the benefit of the draw in this tournament. Oakland and Nevada are both tough and either would be a tough matchup for the Ags. We'll definitely be challenged in this tournament. I don't get CBSSN darn it!

Tennessee State was the best team in Santa Clara and we played them tough. They are now 4-0 and ranked #20 in the first mid-major poll. The Ags got 1 vote...maybe Coach Les was feeling a little biased...

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
  • aggie6thman
    I'm sure a local watering hole, or neighbor's house, will have the game on tomorrow. Bring some leftovers and you're set!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Awesome idea if I can get away!! (Y)
  • aggie6thman
    You have to go out and get a few things, then blame traffic on your two hour adventure. ;)
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm thinking you're crafty from previous experience!! 8-)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wednesday games results:

Buffalo 85 Alaska Anchorage 79 - The Bulls got 36 points and 8 rebounds from guard Blake Hamilton and move on to the semifinals.

Nevada 82 Oakland 78 - The Wolf Pack came back from 16 down at halftime, the largest halftime deficit comeback in the 39 year history of the Shootout, to beat the Golden Grizzlies.
  • aggie6thman
    Nevada went wild in the second half and dialed up the intensity. There was one point where Nevada got a dead ball technical after a shooting foul with Oakland up 4 points. Oakland missed all four foul shot and then turned the ball over. OUCH!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yikes, that would take the wind out of Oakland's sails! :-O
  • BlueGoldAg
    The link below is to a very interesting article about how the future of The Great Alaska Shootout is on very thin ice (pun intended ;) . It's really unfortunate that this 39 year old, once premier tournament that annually drew the best college basketball teams to Anchorage, can no longer compete with the bigger money tournaments.

It does sound like they are pulling out all the stops they can to try keep the tournament alive with all sorts of activities and events for the fans to take part in. If you were part of a group of fans making the trip you could have a ton of fun including lots of food, beer, giveaways, basketball shooting contests (with 4 Dodge Ram trucks as prizes! :-O ), music, games or even ride a bucking salmon! :D . The big power programs follow the money. Too bad for college basketball fans in Alaska.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athletics/2016/11/21/facing-an-uncertain-future-great-alaska-shootout-tries-a-bucking-salmon-downtown-shuttles-and-a-dj/
  • aggie6thman
    SochorField and I were talking about how this tournament used to be a HUGE deal and now, not so much. hard to compete with those warm weather tournaments. Maybe I'll take Mrs 6th and she'll want to move there!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Haha...somehow I don't think Mrs 6th would love going from the warm and cozy confines of Davis to cold, often dreary and "rough around the edges" Alaska. I spent a year an half up there long ago while in the service and traveled there for 3 weeks this summer. The wilderness their is still jaw-dropping beautiful but climate change is wreaking havoc on the glaciers and the tundra. Go soon while it still lasts.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thursday games results:

Iona 64 Drake 53 - The Gaels overcame a 5 point halftime deficit to down the Bulldogs.

Weber State 86 UC Davis 58 - The Ags were within 7 at the half but collasped in the 2nd half as the Wildcats romped to a big margin of victory.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Friday games results:

Oakland 71 Alaska Anchorage 65 - The Seawolves got close near the end but the Grizzlies closed it out.

Aggies 64 Drake 58 - It wasn't pretty but the Ags played well when it counted the most.

Nevada 67 Buffalo 62 - The Wolf Pack squeaked by the Bulls in the final minute to move into the title game.

Iona 76 Weber State 54 - The Wildcats shot 56% and blistered the nets against the Aggies last night but cooled off to only 38% in a losing effort to the Gaels who will vie for the championship.

Saturday games:

7th/8th place: Alaska Anchorage vs Drake at 1 pm

4th/6th place: Oakland vs the Aggies at 3 pm

3rd/5th place: Buffalo vs Weber State at 6:30 pm

Championship game: Nevada vs Iona at 9:30 pm
  • BlueGoldAg
    The 39th Great Alaska Shootout is over and it well may be the last one ever for what was once one of the premier college basketball tournaments of all.

Championship: Iona 75 Nevada 73 - Jon Severe hit a layup with 1 second left to win the titile for the Gaels.

3rd/5th place: Buffalo 74 Weber State 72 - The Bulls prevailed in a closely fought game.

4t/6th place: Oakland 79 Aggies 66 - The Ags hung tough but lost in a game that was closer than the final score.

7th/8th place: Alaska Anchorage 74 Drake 69 - The D2 Seawolves gave the hometown fans something to cheer about.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!