• Goags20172
    On the twitter site the baseball team revealed the names of 8 new players for 2019. I looked up their playing stats (if I could find them) On maxpreps.com or cccbca.org..

Nolan Meredith- RHP/IF Atascadero HS

Cade Wesolowsky- La Jolla Country Day School (1- 0) 1.56. Only pitched 9 innings. Spent a lot more time in the outfield. Must have a pretty live arm. Many of these guys who don't pitch much in HS but get recruited to do that in college usually can throw hard but are fairly new pitchers (Joe Biagini anyone ?), unless an injury is what caused the lack of innings. Looks like two pitchers on that team ate most of the innings themselves.

Nathan Peng- C/RHP Saratoga HS (3- 10-.467) and (1- 1)3.37 on the mound. I just saw an article about Peng's college commitment in the online local newspaper. He was talking about how he thought UCD was looking at him more for his catching and hitting ability. Must have a great arm too- more strikeouts than innings pitched. It's also possible he might be the team's closer, pitching only when a save situation arose. Buster Posey was Florida State's closer as a junior. He pitched just 7 innings but had 7 saves.

Jake Jordan-RHP- Elk Grove HS (5- 0) 1.79 (mostly in relief). Wouldn't be surprised if the Aggies gave him a chance to earn some at- bats too. He also hit .360 with a homer and 26 rbi. That's a lot of rbi for a high school season

Jalen Smith- IF- Stockdale HS (2- 22-.455) 14 stolen bases. If you think that's impressive, get a load of this: 20 walks against only six strikeouts !

Justin Smith, RHP Yuba College (0- 3) 6.93. The numbers don't look great but They don't tell the whole story. Yuba had a rather poor 2017 season, and he wasn't the only pitcher that was roughed up. On the bright side he averaged better than a strikeout per inning. I expect he will do a lot better as a sophomore, like past Aggie recruits Blake Cederlind and Nat Hamby.

Wyatt Tucker, RHP, College of San Mateo (3- 1) 2.25 (mostly in relief). It has made its way up to the stands from the dugout that Vaughn really hates walks, so expect this guy to get plenty of appearances. He had just 3 of them in 24 innings against 22 strikeouts. Very impressive. Also kept the hits allowed down.

Cooper Morrison, OF Reedley College. (3- 39-.368). The Aggies never get the monster power hitters from the JC level, but if they're lucky they get a Steven Patterson- type hitter who can just rake. Apparently he has very good patience at the plate like Jalen Smith. I expect he will start in 2019. The Aggies lose Aguiar and Hooper after the 2018 season. They might lose Anderson too if he gets drafted. All the more reason to give Kelly, Smith, and Evans opportunities to play wherever they can find them.

Welcome future Aggies !
  • oldschool
    The Enterprise includes some commentary from Coach Vaughn about the new recruiting class: http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/diamond-recruits-schedule-revealed-by-ucd/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!