• 69aggie
    Aggies to add new woman’s sport in 2018. See UCD press release today.
  • aggie6thman
    Do you have a link?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The FAQ that I saw is here.
  • DrMike
    cheerleading? only half joking. the local high school won't have cheerleaders at the basketball games because it has been declared a 'sport', and they are practicing for their events.
  • 69aggie
    Go to FAQ at UCD website and you can voted for a team. I think rowing is a no brainer, but the parents and fans are going to have to step to the plate as this an expensive sport. Hope they didn’t sell the boats!
  • 69aggie
    Ps. If they add a lightweight team (<130) they will get a huge amount of interest and participants which is I think what they need for TIX issues.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the article:

"In 2011-12, the year prior to launching the 2020 Initiative, the undergraduate population at UC Davis was 55.1 percent women and 44.9 percent men. By 2016-17, undergraduate proportionality had changed to 59.4 percent women and 40.6 percent men."

I can tell you that in the early 70's there was probably even a smaller percentage of women students. Oh...to be a young man on campus again today...!! 8-)
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    What do you think they''ll choose? Will this shift justify them in trying to drop football in 2-5 years?
  • aggie6thman
    Enterprise said they think it is women's rowing. Makes sense, very minimal if any facilities need to be built for it.
  • Goags20172
    How about a distracted cycling team ? No need to recruit, have plenty of talent on campus. They can compete 100% on the road.

I know, how about a bowling team ? That way it can be completely impossible to get a lane at the Memorial Union.

No, this is going to be another run down a field to a goalsport, so vote for something that isn't lame. Women's rugby, if that is a varsity sport any where else.
  • movielover
    How about a campaign to attract more men to UCD? Change admission policies, even use affirmative action. They do for everything else.

How about women's polo?
  • 69aggie
    Well what do you know? UC Davis still has a sizable woman’s rowing team as a club sport and has a website for recruiting and news. So, the boats are there, the interested woman are there, the facilities are there, but it costs a whomping $600 a quarter to join. And møßt interesting is that they have had some very good teams rowing against big schools with scholarships. No brainer four me. It will be woman’s rowing. These are big teams with a lot of members which Title IX will demand. Probably will not provide much in the way of scholarships, but that’s OK for starters.
  • aggie6thman
    Sports editor at the Davis Enterprise said that he believes it will be rowing. Makes sense as the infrastructure is already there.
  • movielover
    Putah Creek @ Lake Spafford?
  • Russ Bowlus
    I think they use the deep water ship channel in West Sac.
  • aggie6thman
    According to their website they do use the deep water channel in West Sac.
  • 69aggie
    Wasn’t there a parent of a rower that sued the university for removing rowing? That has to be 8+ years ago, but maybe he would step up a help fund the new program if that what he wanted to do back in the day. I cannot remember his name but he was over the top pissed that this sport got the chopping block. If not your daughter, maybe someone else’s daughter???
  • ucdavisaggie05
    If you’re referring to the individual who periodically blasted the athletic department and university in op-ed and letters to the editor, I believe his daughter was on the swim team.
  • 72Aggie
    Daughter or son? Mens' swimming & diving got cut - womens' swimming & diving survives.
  • 69aggie
    Wrestling dad? Who was he? I think he even was an alum. If he’s watching we are watching to see his Next move!!!
  • Goags20172
    lol...depends on your taste in women. Just through casual observation the average co- ed seems to be a bit better- looking than in my time, but a lot of these students have brains galore and zero common sense. Their bicycle riding is a good example.

Interestingly enough I noticed guys still try to impress girls with Linguistics 1 stuff, as if no one knows that clicks are a feature of some languages in Africa. Was on the Yolobus once and this guy was recapping his first semester of linguistics, and after he did his spiel about the clicks (and she pretended it was new and shocking) he tried to put his arm around her.Denied, fool !!!! Poor young woman, she was a captive audience. It's a long ride from Davis to SAC with few stops
  • movielover
    The name we shall not speaketh. Obsessed w ICA and decisions made 10 years ago.
  • Goags20172
    Now that's just silly of them. The purpose of the cheerleaders is to increase school spirit and encourage the athletes to play better. By this logic concession stand work should be a sport. Like cheerleading it is essential to the game and makes no sense in stand- alone competition. The cheerleading routines are tailored to a specific school, which they aren't supporting by being at competitions instead. Might as well have no hot dogs at the games either.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I had a Lin 1 class with Arronovich (sp????). I think he is Russian or Ukrainian. Anyway, the whole think on the clicks was taught Day 1 in class. I enjoyed the course, but the assignments were kind of hard so I had a friend tutor me with homework once a week. Years later I married into a linguistic family so I find it funny.
  • DrMike
    it won’t be much different than before. They would disappear in the second quarter to go prep for their epic halftime performance than show back up at the end of the third quarter. Did slog of standing around and little cheering
  • Goags20172
    Do you mean your in- laws are linguistis or that they know some foreign languages ? How funny !

I don't remember the names of some of my UCD professors, but I remember my Linguistics 1 professor was Hispanic. I was pretty decent with languages, but I had to work my tail off to just get a B in lower divisionJapanese classes. College is a terrible time to start learning that language (totemo taihen Desu !) Would rather have taken more than 1 year of Russian, but Davis only had 1 professor, and he didn't emphasize speaking it in class. Seriously, I brought it up and he said "Great idea, let's put it to a vote". The class vetoed it, including the 30ish looking guy who said he was majoring in it....
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    They are linguists working in computer programming, but my MIL is fluent in French also.

I had a friend minor in Russian and she liked the courses, but she didn't like the department. WOW! I can't believe the class vetoed speaking the language. That is how CCC courses teach languages. What did you major in at UCD?
  • Goags20172
    I was a Spanish major. That's how I wound up @Sac State as a matter of fact. I don't know if anything has changed, but back then UCD didn't offer many single- subject teaching credential programs, just English, Math, and P.E. In fact UCD shared a few adjunct education professors w/SAC, including this one British lady who liked to put down the Irish.
  • Davisbear
    I wouldn't be surprised if beach volleyball is added, the cost of facilities is low. You just need to add some sand courts. I know both Sac State, Cal, St Mary's and Santa Clara recently added beach volleyball teams, so at least there is local competition. If this sport doesn't add enough bodies, then rowing would probably be the choice.
  • 69aggie
    Did anyone attend forum?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!