• BlueGoldAg
    The unbeaten Aggies will try and get their 7th straight win when Sac State comes to the Pavilion for the annual Causeway game at 7 pm tomorrow night. The Hornets are coming off their first win of the season 99-72 over UC Riverside.

Sac plays an all out run-and-gun offense that tries to turn each game into a track meet. They'll be comfortable putting up 30+ shots from beyond the arc and will try to wear the Ags down with pressure defense and frequent wholesale substitutions. It didn't work last year at the Hornets nest as the Aggies systematically dismantled the Sac 110-78.

It will be interesting to see if Jen Gross will allow the Aggies to run with the Hornets or, more likely, try and dictate the game to their own pace.

Going for win #7. Go Ags!
  • aggie08
    Let’s gooo
  • DrMike
    i was looking at their schedule. losses to kentucky (70-101) morehead state (71-75), #12 west virginia (47-101), arizona state (58-106), nevada (68-95). big win over riverside (99-72).

women should roll on this one, although their 1-5 record is a little skewed by quality of their opponents
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I remember a few years ago watching this matchup...the Ags got caught up trying to match the frenetic pace of SS. I don't think this years team does that. With all the experienced leaders and the quality depth, we should be able to dictate the pace and take care of business. Of course, I'm sure I thought the exact same thing 2 years ago. Go Ags!
  • Goags20172
    SAC State has had some great basketball coach names over the years . Bunky Harkleroad sounds like a coach with whom you can drink beers and go hunting. Hard to imagine him ever being mean. I believe he coached in W. VA. Anyone else up for a John Denver sing- along ? Country roads, take me home....

I wonder who Brandon Laird roots for during these matches; the school that employs him or the one that let him play bball.
  • 69aggie
    Something seriously wrong with the audio. I am getting game from Hawaii with this stream.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anybody having problems with the online stream? It keeps crashing on me...??
  • BlueGoldAg
    54-52 Aggies at the end of the 3rd quarter. Sac is hitting their 3's. The Aggies have their hands full right now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's working for me now.
  • aggie08
    Survived a scare there. Gotta give it to the Hornets. All records aside, they came in with a game plan and battled. We have a lot to learn from this game. Bertsch continues to look like an elite level player.
  • BlueGoldAg
    79-72 Ags. Sac took the Aggies to the limit. Hannah Friend, the Hornet's 6'0 So G transfer from Delaware, got hot from 3 and scored 25 points. The Hornet's record was deceptive with 4 loses to major programs.

All 5 of the Aggie starters ended up in double figures with Morgan Bertsch scoring 29 with 7 boards. I thought the Aggies did a great job of handling the Hornets' full court pressure. They had only 12 turnovers and they made good decisions with their passes and really demonstrated their experience and maturity. They just don't get rattled when the pressure is on.

7-0 and rolling on but this one felt a little too close for comfort.
  • 69aggie
    Yes the hornets were very energized for this one. Ags not so much but good enough. I thought some calls against the ag were -/- but who cares at this point. The best news for me is that dani is back and strong. Also very impressed with Kourtney a lot of minutes out there under pressure an she excelled. Cierra and Nina very good in their roles. Also, do not try and press the Ags they are way too good for that stuff. Good game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags also shot well from the line tonight hitting 14 -17 for 82%. They are shooting 75% as a team this year. The Aggie men often struggle from the line and, it seems to me that as a whole in college basketball, women shoot FT's better than men. Anyone have any idea why that is the case?
  • Goags20172
    Height difference ? In men's games seems like it's usually the shorter players who do the best job. Perhaps the shooting angle is more favorable the further you are from the top of the basket ? Perhaps they are more forceful when what they need is finesse.

And not all female college bball players are better at free throws. Here's a name for you: Kelly Ditto.
  • Zander
    I think it is tied to height but not a direct correlation.

My observation, at least at this level, is that there's much less height variation than on the Men's side of things. If it doesn't vary as much then it often isn't as big of an advantage, which means that in WBB you probably get fewer players who make it this far on length and physicality alone. So the fundamentals like shooting have a higher baseline, especially for the post players. I doubt the gap is as big or even there at all for the guards.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So I asked my wife to get the women's perspective, and I thought she had a valid point. When boys go out to play bball, there is usually several boys in the neighborhood to play with...they end up playing either a scrimmage or lowering the basket to do crazy dunks...neither very conducive to free throw shooting. Girls, on the other hand, generally don't want to play with the boys, and there are usually fewer girls who actually play bball, so they end up in the street or backyard shooting by themselves, a lot of time spent on FT's. Those habits for boys and girls then hang with them throughout their formative years.
  • movielover
    Sure. Coaches I have spoken to say men rely on their physical gifts, jumping, speed. Women are generally more coachable and willing to work on fundamentals. Men want to dunk on you and get on ESPN.
  • Goags20172
    Oh, they're back at those mismatched photos again. ...playing The Washington State Hornets (Y)
  • 69aggie
    Keeping everything in perspective, cal woman’s BB (#24) just beat Seattle at home 87-67 which SFChron called a “blowout.” Ags beat Seattle 79-53 away-no news. Absolutely minimal coverage of this outstanding team by bee, chronicle DE or anyone for that matter. For once I wish Stanford was on the schedule because I think we would beat them this year and get some media attention. With this rant I feel much better.
  • aggie6thman
    Therapy sessions free of charge. It's what we're here for!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!