• Goags20172
    The roster probably won't be out until Feb. I'm given to understand this is because they're still making tweaks to it due to injuries all the way up to the start of the season. Some schools put theirs out in August or September, which I think is silly. It's nice to know which players are in fall ball, but you know there will be deletions and additions.

I've compiled this list of potential players. There may be few who aren't on the team anymore because there is attrition every year. Also the maximum roster size is 35 players. There are 31 listed here. Factoring in 2- 3 players lost to attrition, that's 6- 7 new players who haven't yet been mentioned, assuming they have a full roster.

If anyone knows of any players I should add or delete, please let me know. My list is probably missing a few infielders a couple pitchers, and a catcher or outfielder.

Right- Handed Pitchers:

Blake Hannah- JR.
    Klay Worthan- RJR.
    Matt Blais- SR.
    Connor Loar- SR.
    Tim Wieser- RFR.
    Andres Lara- SO.
    Jared Sasaki- FR.
    Matt Mascio- FR.
    Ryan Rodriguez-FR.

Left- Handed Pitchers

Chris Brown- JR.
    Alex Trautner- RSO. (also a RHP).
    Daniel Barraza- RSR.
    Brock Moffitt- Fr.

Catchers

Logan Denholm- RSO.
    Jackson O'Boy- RFR.
    Houston Roberts- RJR.

Infielders:
    Caleb Van Blake- JR.
    Cameron Briggs- JR.
    Alejandro Lara- SO.
    Steve Ouellette- SO.
    Brad Pluschkell- SR.
    Kyler Arenado- FR
    Spencer Gedestad- RFR?

Outfielders

Alex Aguiar- RSR.
    Ryan Hooper- RSR.
    Garrett Kelly- JR.
    Colton Evans- SO.
    Matt Smith- RFR.
    Ryan Anderson- RJR.

Just a glance at this temporary roster, and I wonder who's on first. I had thought it would be Logan Denholm, but he's still catching. Anderson, Aguiar, and Hooper are still in the outfield, and the rest of the infielders in this list are middle infield types
  • Goags20172
    One name that may be on that roster in 2018 is infielder/pitcher Spencer Gedestad, who would probably be a Red shirt freshman. He was a member of the team in fall ball last year, and I heard a couple of the parents identify a player in this year's games as Spencer, but they didn't know what his last name was. The team needs a couple more infielders as evidenced above. If he is a non- scholarship player Gedestad could have redshirted without having to be on the roster.
  • Goags20172
    I don't expect to see an Aggie baseball roster for a few weeks yet, but I saw some interesting news.

SAC State released their roster, and If you think the Aggies will have a lot of new faces get a load of this :

The hornets have only 14 players returning that played in a game in 2017. They lost 18 players from last year's roster, only 8 of which were seniors or drafted. Talk about cleaning house...and this from a team that went to the Stanford regional !

The strangest of the losses was would- be sophomore Ricky Martinez. Heck of an infielder who could really hit. He's from TX. Maybe he got homesick. They also lost 3 players that had been w/the program 3 years. Tough to make that team !

Edit: Martinez wound up at Grayson Community College in TX. Apparently he is going to parlay this opportunity into an opportunity at Tennessee per Baseball America. Reminds me, I need to check BA for the Big West preview
  • ProAggieGuy
    I believe Blake Peters is not returning. Not sure of the reason, but he will not be on the roster in 2018.
  • Goags20172
    Thanks, I deleted him from the list. Maybe he graduated in the fall/winter quarter ?

Do you know who's been playing first base in practice ? I'd have to think if it's not Denholm it would probably be a new player. Anderson I believe has been playing RF with Hooper in LF.
  • ProAggieGuy
    They have been working a few guys out at 1st. All newbies. Don’t see any clear front runners yet, but Spencer Gedestad is a big target with a solid glove. Not sure about the bat. Anderson and Hooper most likely will stay in the outfield. I think Van Blake will anchor the 4 hole, Plushkell at the 6 hole, Lara/Briggs at the 5 hole. I have seen Lara at 1st, but don’t think that is a long term combination. Briggs being the utility guy, I can see him at either corner to keep his bat in the lineup. Lara has some experience now and I expect he will be much improved at the plate and on the field. He has big bat potential. Lots of experience and pop in the lineup!
  • ProAggieGuy
    Come to think of it, Anderson would do well at 1st. Typical descent glove big bat guy. That would put Hooper, Aguilar and Kelly in the outfield (our pitchers would love that) and probably Briggs at 3rd and DH Lara. But, that’s just me..
  • Goags20172
    I think your potential infield/outfield sounds good. Ideally they would return at least 1 starting outfielder for 2019. I know the incoming JC transfer Cooper Morrison will probably be able to handle center field.

Glad to hear I didn't make up Spencer Gedestad being on the team. I don't think UCD ever recruits for first base specifically. Sometimes there's a pitcher who can also play there (Evan Wolf) Seems like it's the best of the infielders left after the other 3 spots are filled. It didn't occur to me Lara was 6'3. I was concerned he wasn't tall enough, but that's not a problem.
  • ProAggieGuy
    I question Lara’s listed height. I’m thinking 6 ft at best.... Anderson is a big target that can handle the 3 hole.. Not sure why he has never worked out over there..
  • Goags20172
    I guess Anderson's injury history has played a role. If you ask me he's just as likely to get injured playing first base as left field.
  • Goags20172
    I guess getting the roster out just before the season starts is not unique to UCD baseball. SAC City College only put theirs out yesterday..and they open the season tomorrow. How interesting that they have a pitcher from Japan.
  • Goags20172
    So I guess I'll take a new stab at the opening day lineup:

C: Denholm
    1B:Gedestad ?
    2B: Van Blake
    SS: Pluschkell
    3B: Lara
    LF:Hooper
    CF:Aguiar
    RF:Anderson
    DH:Briggs ?

SP:Hannah ?
  • ProAggieGuy
    I’m gonna go Briggs 3B, Lara DH and Blais SP. He is proven and gets the nod on Friday nights, for now. I will go so far as to say Hannah starting on the bump on Saturday and Trautner goes on Sunday.. We’ll see. I’m never right.. Brown may have a weekend role too. Just not sure who had the better Fall between Brown and Trautner. There are a few new pitchers that looked good during the series, but did not have a great Fall from what I understand.. I think all 3 starters can keep you in the game and it will come down to bullpen depth and so far, I like what I see.. Go Aggies!!
  • ProAggieGuy
    I would still love to see Anderson at 1B, but that wont happen. Here is my lineup on opening day...

CF - Aguilar (speed w/pop)
    3B -Briggs (speed w/pop)
    LF - Anderson (power)
    C - Denholm (power)
    2B - Van Blake (speed w/pop)
    RF - Hooper (speed w/pop
    DH - Lara (power)
    SS - Pluschkell (small ball/contact)
    1B - Gedestad (not sure)
    SP - Blais
  • ProAggieGuy
    Looking at that lineup, lots of experience! Even Pluschkell can put a charge on a ball on occassion. Not knowing anything about Gedestad, You put Anderson at 1B, that puts Kelly in the outfield which is superior defensively. His bat has been in question, but I think he had a good Summer in Chico. Maybe he is ready???
  • ProAggieGuy
    By the way, Loar is.nursing his arm. Not sure what is going on there, but I guess he is out of consideration as a starter for now..
  • Goags20172
    Forgot about Blais. You're right. That's too bad about Loar. I wonder if he'll redshirt. Have you seen Guillermo Salazar play at all ? Is he still with the team ?

The problem as I see it with Kelly's situation is he's not a bad hitter. He just needed more time to develop, but he was banished to the bench (and Bily moved into CF) when he struggled. In hindsight they should have given Bily some opportunities in center his junior year, start 2016 with Bily, and let Kelly earn playing time at all 3 outfield positions. I think there may have been too much pressure put on him initially. He had a really good season in Chico. There are some positives you can take away. One is that he hit well with a wood bat. Of course we have to temper our enthusiasm a little with the knowledge that he was facing lower- quality pitching on average than he will see in the regular season.

Brown should do better with a more consistent role. I don't think he's well- suited to be a late- inning reliever. He just seems like one of those pitchers who needs to be or out there at the beginning of games, when he has a little margin for error. I'm encouraged by Denholm coming back to catch. It just doesn't seem plausible that he wouldn't be better defensively than in 2016. There was a tremendous amount of room for improvement there.
  • ProAggieGuy
    I think Salazar graduated. I agree, Kelly never got a chance to get settled in. Hopefully he will have a sizeable role. He is the guy that will be coming back next year, and defensively, he is superior. Tough to keep the proven bats on the bench though.. Again, Anderson at first opens Kelly’s door, instead of a youngster anchoring the corner..
  • ProAggieGuy
    Regarding Loar, This is his Senior year. From what I hear, he will be pitching through the arm trouble from the bullpen as he can. Too bad. I like his fiery way about him... Would like to see lots of him the season..
  • Goags20172
    I had thought Loar might come back as a 5th year senior perhaps, if he had classes to finish up but it hadn't occurred to me he might also have redshirted while attending Chabot. Until recently I had been unaware of how much redshirting and recruiting go on at the junior college level. Then I saw SAC City's roster. At least half of their new players didn't appear on a HS or college roster last year + they have players (1 each) from Honduras and Japan, to say nothing of the ones from FL, WA, and WI. I don't even remember the last out- of state UCD baseball payer. It can't have been Brian Hunt...that was at leasttwenty years ago that he played.
  • Goags20172
    Thanks, I deleted Salazar. That leaves just 30 players on my roster, and that includes 4 players whom I haven't seen play or heard anything about this off-season (Worthan, Andres Lara, Barraza, and Ouelette). All told there could be as many as 9 new players of whom I've never heard, but it will likely be less.
  • ProAggieGuy
    Barraza could be a wild card. Looked pretty good in the series. Limited action last year, but a crafty south paw that could do very well behind our right handed starters. Maybe even a starter candidate himself?
  • Goags20172
    I thought he had a pretty sharp outing when I saw him pitch last year. He barely pitched for a pretty bad L. A. Pierce team 2 years ago for some reason.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!