• movielover
    Briscoe, Doss, Streveler invited to Walter Payton Award announcement

"(STATS) -- Dominating seasons are bringing together three players who hope to win the Heisman of the FCS level.

"Senior quarterbacks Jeremiah Briscoe of Sam Houston State and Chris Streveler of South Dakota, along with junior wide receiver Keelan Doss of UC Davis, were invited on Monday to the announcement of the 2017 STATS FCS Walter Payton Award.

"The award, named for the legendary College and Pro Football Hall of Fame running back and given to the outstanding offensive player in the subdivision since 1987, will be presented at the STATS FCS Awards Banquet Jan. 5 in Frisco, Texas -- on the eve of the national championship game. Past winners include Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Brian Westbrook, John Friesz, Brian Finneran, Jimmy Garoppolo and Cooper Kupp....

"Doss, the Big Sky Conference offensive player of the year, ranks No. 1 in the FCS in receptions (115), receiving yards (1,499), receptions per game (10.5) and receiving yards per game (136.3). As UC Davis improved by two wins to finish 5-6, the 6-3, 206-pounder from Alameda, California, caught at least 10 passes in eight games and totaled at least 100 receiving yards nine times. He reeled in seven touchdowns and added a 42-yard score on his one carry."

http://www.espn.com/ncf/story?id=21666158&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D
  • aggie6thman
    Well deserved!
  • Goags20172
    Well deserved indeed. I'm glad you clarified that it is the Walter Payton award. For a moment I thought he was a finalist for the Wellington Payton award which is presented for excellence in pancakes.

Looks like Jake Maier won't get his free watch. Maybe Doss can buy him one when he gets his pro contracts.
  • DrMike
    wow......top 3. that's really special. i thought he might not emerge from the Big Sky with the 2 QB's having good seasons.
  • zythe
    This is culture change for sure; a culture change back to what we were...

This helps out in recruiting.
  • SochorField
    This is HUGE.

I've really enjoyed watching him, and hope he returns for 1 more year.
  • movielover
    Are there really 15 QBs better than Maier in FCS? Ridiculous.
  • SochorField
    I re-watched his HS senior highlights. He might have been a great Safety too. Just a tremendous athlete we are lucky to have.
  • CA Forever
    Amazing honor for Mr. Doss.
  • aggie6thman
    Doss changed his Twitter banner to be the NFL shield.... :’(
  • CA Forever
    If I remember correctly that's been his twitter banner since his freshman year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hope I'm wrong but my guess is that we will not see Doss in an Aggie uniform again. Good luck to him for the Payton Award!
  • SochorField
    No love for Doss over on AGS. How can a guy win an award when the country (ouside of NorCal and Big Sky) has never even seen the guy in action?

Streveler and Briscoe on TV for the FCS playoffs......we can't even release a highlight video for our guy.

Goes to show our Athletics Dept. has a loooong way to go.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, that being said I think the award has to go to Streveler. Between passing and running the dude has put up over 5000 yards of offense this season and 40+ TDs (including playoffs). That's insane.
  • SochorField
    I agree it will be Streveler.

I think our school didn't do Doss ANY favors. No promotion, nothing.
  • AggieFinn
    Bye KD!!! It was fun to watch you break out.

I think fans who showed are the only ones who will ever see what Doss did this year. No YouTube, minimal FB, are the highlight compilations anywhere to be found?
  • movielover
    No.

We need to hire another Senior Associate Deputy Athletic Director for that. (sarcasm)

Dr. Blue nailed some biggies this year, but we continue to miss on this. Many think its an easy priority. It's marketing, and I imagine if would help recruiting. We did a great Hawkins video, then dropped the ball.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The winner of the Walter Payton Award will be announced tomorrow at the awards banquet in Frisco, Texas, the day before the FCS Championship game. Coach Hawkins and the parents of Kellan Doss will be in attendance with Keelan for the announcement.

Here is some good news for Aggie fans as reported in today's Enterprise:

"With all the hoopla surrounding Doss, is the NFL draft-eligible junior returning to Davis for his senior season?"

“As of right now, that’s what it’s mostly looking like,” the Alameda native told The Enterprise on Tuesday. “I need to talk to a couple of people, but as of right now, that’s almost 100 percent certain that I am.”

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/doss-heads-to-texas-in-hopes-of-payton-trophy/

Good luck to Keelan Doss tomorrow and let's hope we get to see him perform his magic next year in an Aggie uniform as well.
  • lucche
    Good Luck tomorrow Kellan. I looked at the other WR's to receive the award, and you are right there with them. Many QBs this year had stats that would make them considered for the award, but you were far and beyond the best receiver in all of the NCAA.
    Regardless of the outcome, we Aggies know what a great teammate and performer you have been this year. We Aggies, wish you the best, but also hope to see you in an Aggie uniform for one more great year,
  • movielover
    Wow. If Doss comes back, we could really be on fire next year offensively.
  • PortlandAggie
    January 10th past and no news with respect to Doss entering the 2018 NFL draft, fingers crossed
  • 69aggie
    January 15 is when we will know. Fingers crossed indeed.
  • movielover
    AggieEquipment twitter

"A big congratulations to Keelan Doss. Great person, athlete and ambassador for Davis. Gifted and humble. Next year a ring and the award. @TheKidDoss_8 #AggiePride"
  • DrMike
    No news is good news? It’s January 15
  • movielover
    FCS writer.

Brian McLaughlin
    Brian McLaughlin
    @BrianMacWriter
    ·
    Jan 11
    "Breaking down 2018 after being asked about it on Fargo N.D. radio. Just have a feeling about UC Davis @UCDfootball with @TheKidDoss_8 and @jakemaier15 and all of the other young guys coming back. Team was just hair off 7-4 and playoffs and return a lot. #BigSkyFB #GoAgs"
  • SoCalAggie
    Wow I'm shocked he's not going to the draft...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!