• SoCalAggie
    I love the die-hard Aggie fans on this page and I thought this would be fun. This all started because I was talking with a buddy about how bad I wish Chima was our big man during the Corey Hawkins days.

In the spirit of Aggie basketball debate, build your dream 6 man rosters (starting 5 + one man off the bench) using any player who has ever played for our squad.

At the end feel free to include honorable mentions who just barely missed the cut. Please start with the team first.

I'll start:

G - TJ Shorts
    G - Corey Hawkins
    G - Ryan Sypkens
    F - Chima Moneke
    F - Dominic Calegari

Bench - brynton lemar

Honorable mentions:
    Mark Payne
    Joe harden
    JT adenrele

Let's start with the guards. This was actually a very tough decision as my favorite point guard was Darius graham and had this been earlier in the year, that would have been a no brainer for my starting team. Darius was our quarterback with what seemed like an infinite amount of energy on both offense and defense. When he needed to shoot he would, but scoring off the dribble was a rare occurrence. After watching this season so far, TJ has shown similar qualities to Darius in terms of energy, passing, and controlling the offense but he brings scoring to the table.

Corey - nothing needs to be said here. Personally think he was good enough to be at least a bench player on an NBA squad. Arguably the best player Davis has ever had with Chima being the only other player to battle for that title.

Ryan - I'm a firm believer that if you want to be a cinderella in the big tourney. Mid majors need to have an abundance of 3 point shooters. Ryan was lights out.

Chima - nothing needs to be said here. He's having an amazing year thus far even though I think he's forcing his game more than last year. I mean, we need him to so I can't really blame the kid. Arguably the best player davis has ever had. Easily the best big man and the kid is incredibly fun to watch.

Calegari - while he's not a traditional "big man", I just remember him being incredibly smart and reliable down low. With someone like dom
    Playing the block, I feel that Chima would have more open looks.

Bench/honorable mentions

Big men: we are pretty limited in this category. The only other option I would throw in would be adenrele. He was huge! And a big play maker but I was always a little disappointed in his contant foul trouble And being MIA on the score board.

3 point shooting: my favorite team was easily the year with Corey hawkins, lemar, Les, Richard, sypkens, Etc. We were the best 3 point shooting team in the nation that year and I firmly believe that would have been our best squad to send to the dance. My dream team could have simply been to throw Chima on that roster.

I also liked the days of our big 3 with mark Payne, Joe harden, and big Dom down low. While they are all on the list, I'm still a sucker for 3 point shooters at the mid major level.

I have even more I could share but this post is long enough!

Let the conversation begin!!!!!
  • aggie6thman
    Can we go back to the start of Aggie hoops or just this century?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'll have to put some thought into this since I've been following the Ags since 1972 and, at my age, memory becomes suspect! I think you nailed a lot of our best over the years though.
  • SoCalAggie
    any Aggie player ever is fair game.

I'll admit 2 things:

1) I'm a relatively new Aggie so I'm pretty much only familiar with the D1 era. I do remember hearing about one guy who was a stud for us during the D2 days though.

2) I'm mainly thinking about our dream team in the sense of being a Cinderella in March Madess. So I designed a team that I think could possibly pull the upset :).
  • SoCalAggie
    looking forward to seeing your picks!

I wish we could go back in time and send Corey & the 3 point shooting team to March madness. I'll always be bummed about that...
  • lucche
    There was a shooting forward during D2 days who was pretty remarkable named Mark Olson. Nice shot and could consistently shoot over other players.
  • aggie6thman
    What about a Fowzi/Corey backcourt?
  • SoCalAggie
    when did fowzi play?

And who else is on your starting roster?
  • 69aggie
    Jason cox? Got us the D2 championship.
  • movielover
    Mark Payne
    Robert Rose - SG
    Preston Neumayr, NBA tryout, stud
    Moneke
    Mike Lein, 6'10" Center who I'm told was our best big man D2 era.

6th Man - our lengthy defensive stud from a few years ago and Corey Hawkins.

Honorable mention: Adwin Thomas, Calegari, Angelo Rivers (4 yr point), our D2 Pt guard who won a ring, Cox.

Coach - Bob Hamilton, 5-6 playoff appearances?
    Ass Coach - Duane Kouba
  • aggie08
    Since I’ve been following Aggie hoops:

Hawkins
    Lemar
    Payne
    Chima
    JT

Was tough leaving Caligari and Ritchart out but I’ll take JT for defense, rebounding and the occasional monster slam. Outside of Mark Payne, the squad is mostly from recent teams. Shows the direction of our program
  • SoCalAggie
    I really like this squad. It's a great combo of scorers and size. Each one of these scorers can create off the dribble which is nice.
  • Goags20172
    Fowzi Abdelsamad played from the 2000- 01 season until the 2004- 2005 season. If memory serves he redshirted as a true sophomore.
  • Russ Bowlus

Dante Ross was the PG on that team.
  • movielover
    Did you see any teams from the 80s?
  • aggie08
    no, unfortunately not. I only heard about the great d2 teams including the championship squad
  • Russ Bowlus
    Justice Durkee was another good one from the championship era.
  • DrMike
    I’ve been following promarily since the D1 era so I like your team except I’d put Caligari ahead of JT. Preston Nuemeyer ( please correct my spelling) was awfully good when I was a student and would have strived with the three pointer.

JT, Harden, Payne and JT in the rotation
  • aggie6thman
    My team is from 2000 onward.

Starting 5:

G Fowzi
    G Corey Hawkins
    F Chima
    F Mark Payne
    F Calegari

Off the bench:

Joe Harden
    JT
    Brenton Lemar
    Ryan Sypkens
  • movielover
    Preston was better than awefully good... hampered by often mediocre DII teammates.
  • DrMike
    I only saw a handful of games back then (our Davis careers overlapped) but looking back , he’s game was so well suited for this era of the three
  • Zander
    The "Not Included in Anybody Else's Roster" team ---

Darius Graham -- G
    Avery Johnson -- G
    Lawrence White -- G
    Josh Fox -- F
    Josh Ritchart -- G/F

Tyler Les -- Bench
  • aggie6thman
    Here are a few other names:

Rommel Marentez - Gritty player
    Phil Rasmussen - Crafty left-handed player
    Thomas Jullerat - TOUGH player
    David Carter - Great defender
    Vince Oliver - Great all around player
    Kyle Brucculeri - In range anywhere on the court
    Ryan Moore - Loved watching him play

There were some good players and who were also great people on the early 2000's teams. The list is long.
  • Goags20172
    If he hadn't devoted his college time to basketball Rasmussen could have had a pro baseball career, albeit probably not avery long one. Walked right onto the team in the middle of his senior year, and arguably did better than a few pitchers they already had.
  • movielover
    Coulda been a star ...

Ahlee Lewis, stopped playing after Soph year. ... The Boz, Clint Bozner.
  • aggie6thman
    How could I have missed The Boz?! Can you imagine if Jullerat and The Boz were on the same team?
  • SoCalAggie
    josh fox is a total sleeper as a big man. Forgot about him.

Like the squad too ha!
  • Goags20172
    About Fowzi Abdelsamad, I remember Coach Kouba made no mention of him being recruited on his website. There was a player who redshirted the previous year DeWayne Parker (saw him at Aggie Jam) who suddenly was not on the roster in 00- 01. Until I actually saw Abdelsamad play I thought perhaps Parker had found Islam and changed his name. Some NBA stars were doing that. I do know Parker found his way onto the roster of a community college in Arizona.

Speaking of Aggie Jam, do they still have that, or did the new age liberals decide it was offensive to peanut butter ?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I know I’m late to the game on this one. Instead the best players I’ll go with the guys that have made an impression over the years.

Mark Payne - a ton of talent but he was as great ambassador for the program. During warmups he’d regularly come over and give my kids high fives. His girlfriend, now wife, was a hell of an outside hitter for the Aggie volleyball team.

Chima and Hawkins. Clearly the two most talented players ever in the program. They both have made going to Aggie games a thing to do

Jason Rabedeaux- the one player from my time in school that I was excited to watch. Clearly not as talented as the guys we get now but he had a good 3 pt shot and always hustled. And I never got tired of the call “Rabadabado for 3!”

Jason Cox - I still remember watching him and wondering why a guy with his talent ended up at Davis. He, along with the rest of that d2 championship team was the real reason I went from the casual fan to the obsessed guy that dragged his kids to every home game.

Thomas Jullerat - I think 6th mentioned him. No one was tougher or a harder worker. Even now if I had to pick one guy to go set a screen or battle for a rebound it might be Jullerat.

I could probably go on and on (Harden, JT, Graham)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

Go Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great group of players, Oldbanduhalum.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!