• Deleted User
    I will try to condense a lot of previous posts to summarize the prospects of the 2017 Aggie baseball team. It's really not possible at this time to forecast a win-loss record since the schedule information isn't completely available. Last year I predicted they would win 18 games with Zach Stone and Spencer Henderson in the rotation, and they won 17 without both of them for the majority of the season. So, in a way, they over-achieved.

This year's team should show a lot of improvement. Whether or not they'll post a winning record has yet to be seen, but an 8-10 game improvement seems very possible at least. One benefit of the utter calamity that was the 2016 season was that the injuries (Stone, Razo, Henderson, Anderson, Cardinalli, and Thomas were the major ones) forced them to evaluate a lot of players who likely would've been Maytag repairmen otherwise. Now they at least should have a better idea of players' strengths and weaknesses whereas last season was more like 3 1/2 months of auditions.

They can't help but have a better rotation. Having Stone and Razo (sounds like Stone was starting again in the fall as he has done every year, and I saw Razo start) definitely strengthens the weekend rotation. Garcia made the most out of his opportunity to start in 2016. He pitched better than his record would indicate. He had 2-3 starts where wins were stolen from him (Hawaii anyone ?) by shoddy fielding and bullpen work. So far the only weekend series where they need 4 starters is the Oregon trip. Mullins may well be the weekday starter. He appeared in relief during the fall ball game I saw, but he definitely seemed to take a big step forward as a starter the second half of the season. This seems to be his job to lose unless one of the younger pitchers with starting backgrounds (Hannah, Brown) steps up.

The bullpen is a bit of a concern. They added needed depth with junior college pitchers like Barraza and Loar, but there isn't a clear closer in the group. Failure to close things out resulted in a sweep at ASU. Unfortunately UCD oftens employs the HS strategy with the rotation and bullpen. You put your best pitchers in the rotation, and the closer is either the best pitcher not to make the rotation or a position player who pitches on the side. The latter hasn't really been employed by UCD since 1998 (Curtis Fields), but the former was employed to some degree last year (Garcia). I know Peters had a great summer season as a closer, but I'm a bit wary of him reprising that role in 2017. He really should be pitching as a starter or long relief. Often it's a redshirt freshman who claims this role, but the redshirt freshmen from 2016 are gone, with the exception of Razo.

Choosing the right catcher is extremely important to the pitching staff's success. Denholm wasn't a full-time catcher in HS, and it showed in his defense. The team desperately needs him to step up his defense, since his offense will likely keep him in the lineup. Diaz was billed as a great defensive catcher, but I didn't see much improvement over Denholm in games. The team really needs to have someone other than Diaz claim this job for continuity's sake because he's a senior. They don't want to make a bunch of progress with the pitching staff and then have to start all over again with a new starting catcher in 2018. Roberts must still be dealing with injuries. Ontiveros may be the best defensively of the bunch, but he's in the same boat as Diaz. Also he doesn't make enought contact at the plate to unseat Denholm. Best case scenario he could be the main back-up catcher.

The infield at the very least has a lot of capable options. How they fit together in one lineup I have no idea. I'm not sure that they're even looking at Anderson at third base any longer. Pluschkell is very capable defensively wherever he winds up. Briggs and Van Blake both showed they can hit at this level, but likely only one of them winds up starting (To be fair, Van Blake's average was pretty pedestrian, but keep in mind he had a HORRENDOUS first 20 or so at bats). Langer and Allen can both field at third base. Allen put together a nice little hitting display when he was given a chance late in the season, but that was mostly when the team was also playing well during that 5 game stretch. I don't know that either would provide the power you want from that position, but you learn to improvise in college baseball, especially at UCD. Olson should be mainly at DH, but he'll play some first base too.

There are plenty of options for the corner outfield positions. Somehow you need to find a spot for the team's top hitter for average last year-Cardinalli. Trouble is he's not a center fielder, and the corner outfield competition is pretty fierce. You also have Alex Aguiar, who eventually turned into a decent left fielder and played some right. He has speed, something that is kind of scarce in 2017. It wasn't that great in 2016 and got worse with Bily's graduation. There's Ryan Hooper, who has some real power and can run a bit. There's Guillermo Salazar, who has demonstrated extra-base power, but I don't see a natural path to him getting consistent playing time. Center Field remains a big question mark. I saw both of the incoming freshmen-Smith and Evans-play in the fall game. Both appeared capable in CF and had an idea of what they were doing at the plate (both also had hits). I didn't see Kelly, but he's probably in the mix too. The competition for CF is also probably a competition for who bats ninth given the way the rest of the lineup probably shakes out. Hopefully the 9th spot will be more productive offensively.

What this program really needs to take a step forward is consistency. Every time the team approaches or achieves a winning season they wind up going back to the drawing board the next year because the major offense or pitching contributors are seniors or they're drafted. They need to find starters who are going to stick around another year, and when a senior graduates, don't automatically hand his job to a little-used bench player or a freshman. UCD has found some really decent players at the junior college level. While the JC pitching recruits usually wind up being bullpen pieces, the position players often do make a big impact. Does Steven Patterson ring a bell ? You have to have a plan and not just play for one season. That's a big reason why UCD is constantly in re-building mode.

And we may bemoan the lack of velocity of our pitching recruits, but the truth is the real hard-throwers out of HS are going to get drafted, wind up at a big-time school, or maybe a junior college if they don't have the grades. Look across the Causeway. Coach Christiansen often gives a bit of a scouting report on his incoming players. What are the pitchers throwing ? Mid-high 80's, same as we get. That team has 5 straight winning seasons with those kinds of pitchers. Why ? Coaching and defense. We know our coach can get through to the pitchers. Credit him for helping to develop two of UCD's three major league pitchers, and the decision not to develop Daniel Descalso as a pitcher. UCD's defense however is shaky year after year. When I see Sac State their infielders definitely have chemistry on the field. When one guy gets a ball hit to him, the target of his throw knows where to be. They don't have to have a discussion on the field. With UCD I see so often where a shortstop or a third baseman (mainly third basemen) is throwing the ball to where they think it should go without any regard for whether the intended target is in a good position to field it. It's almost like the ball is a hot potato and they're just trying to avoid burning their hands.

One of the hallmarks of the UCD basketball teams of the D-II era was solid fundamental, full-effort, smart gameplay despite having less athleticism and height than their opponents. I don't see that so much with the baseball team. When I say this team will win more, it's counting on that defensive effort improving.
  • oldschool
    Who are the three UCD MLB pitchers from UCD and which two did Vaughn help to develop?
  • Deleted User
    The three MLB pitcher's are Steve Brown, Joe Biagini, and Eddie Gamboa. Brown was before Vaughn's time.
  • oldschool
    I don't know how much Vaughn actually developed Biagini, given his short tenure as an Aggie, but Gamboa for sure.
  • Deleted User
    Well every coach along the way has some input. Not even the very best pitchers go straight from college to the majors without some modifications. Biagini's story is an interesting one. He was a light- hitting infielder in hs who really didn't pitch, walked on at City of SF College where the coach took a chance on his arm because he couldn't hit. Had a pretty mediocre season. Then he missed a year with injury + Coach Vaughn recruited him as potential lightning in a bottle.

So I guess what I've taken 8 years to say is we really shouldn't discount Vaughn's role in Biagini's development as a pitcher based on numbers (years, ERA, etc). I believe he helped him enough to the point where scouts thought there was potential. Given another year at Davis he probably would've gotten a chance to close.
  • Deleted User
    Now that the schedule is out I'm going to take a crack at guessing the Aggies' Win-Loss record for 2017. My end guess will assume that no games get cancelled, which of course is probably not likely.

St. Mary's (Aggies win 2 of 3)

Yes, the Gaels did go to the playoffs, but they also only finished 8 games above .500 in 2016, so they're not impervious, and none of these games are in Moraga. This gives the Aggies a bit of an edge. The first game should be a pitcher's duel being that the pitchers should be ahead of the hitters (even in Las Vegas). Whoever the number 1 guy is (Guessing Garcia) should be up to the task. They split the other two in Davis.

Nebraska-Omaha (1-0)

The Mavericks were only .500 in 2016. They batted over .290 as a team. They actually issued significantly more walks than UCD. It's worth noting the team was only 18-26 when Tyler Fox wasn't pitching, and he's no longer on the team. Their de facto returning ace will probably miss the Aggies too.
    Not a strong road team.

UNLV (0-1)

Going to give the Rebels the edge here even though they were eight games under .500 and their team ERA was 6.00. Also their best pitcher from last year, D.J. Myers, was drafted by San Francisco. He even pitched in a Triple-A game. ERA's are always skewed in Las Vegas + Reno. I give them this one just because of the home advantage, and I don't really know what to expect from Stone, assuming he's the third starter

Pacific (2-0)

To heck with Ugly Old Potatoes. The Aggies swept them last year. They'll do it again.

Utah Valley (2-1)

The Wolverines were a tough team in 2016. They beat Oregon State early in the season. A few things though. 1. They played in the WAC, which is a weaker conference. 2. The Aggies split with them in 2016, so they're beatable 3. They lost their best starter (Danny Beddes) to the draft, and they pretty much rode his arm and those of the bullpen in 2016. 4. The Aggies have the home advantage.

Stanford (0-1)

Oregon State (0-3)

The Beavers are getting some serious nods as a CWS contender. Playing them on the road adds to the difficulty.

Oregon (0-1)

Not as tough an opponent, but the Aggies will be at a disadvantage throwing their fourth starter.

Penn State (1-0)

Going to bank on the Nittany Lions being road-weary just as Michigan was last year. Their hitting was nothing to write home about. Their pitching was decent.

UCONN (1-2)

The Huskies were a very tough team. They had a lot of power and better-than-average pitching. Garcia or Razo is probably up to the challenge, but the other two games will be hard-fought. In a bullpen game it's advantage Huskies.

Creighton (1-2)

The Aggies are at a disadvantage in this series (SUN-TUES) because they'll be coming off a long layoff from finals, travel, and the way the pitching rotation for the series will work out. Not to mention it will be freezing cold, something they're not used to. Even though the Fri and Sat. starters would be available, they would be pitching on short rest on the weekend against Northridge. More likely they only pitch a couple of innings on the side. The Sunday guy would already be on his normal day, and he's the one I award the win to. The remaining two games are the regular mid-week guy and probably a reliever experiment on the Tuesday game as they won't have named a 5th starter.

Northridge (2-1)

The Aggies usually do better at home against the Matadors. A sweep is probably unrealistic though.

Sac State (1-1)

Each team wins on its home field. UCD won both games in 2016, but Sac State is just too good to roll over like they did last year. Not to mention they'll have a pretty good read on Mullins, who I believe would start these games again.

Fullerton (0-3)

For UCD to beat the Titans on the road or at home it usually requires a complete implosion by Fullerton.

Cal Poly (2-1)

Last year's disaster season still resulted in a win against the Mustangs and a close loss. Home advantage to the Aggies.

Nevada (1-1)

Each team wins on its home field. I don't know if I see the Aggies winning a slugfest in Reno.

Hawaii (0-3)

Hawaii and a home advantage is very dangerous. It's even more daunting knowing they swept the Aggies on the road too.

Long Beach State (1-2)

The Aggie pitching will have improved enough that they can eke out a win against the 49ers, who are also getting some recognition as a potential CWS contender.

UCSB (1-2)

The Aggies kicked the Gauchos when they were down. It won't be so easy next time.

UCR (3-0)

Dobbins Stadium is like a house of horrors for the Highlanders recently. Sorry, you don't get to win here.

Grand Canyon (2-1)

The Antelopes are a tough road team. When they were in D-II the Aggies used to be able to beat them pretty soundly in Davis, but that was then.

UCI (1-2)

Because I said so.

Total record=(25-28, 10-14 in the Big West)
  • Deleted User
    The schedule press release says tentatively 27 players are returning. 32 players on the 2016 roster had eligibility still. 3 of them (Chapman, Amante, Moscot) are no longer on the team. I had predicted on the yuku forum that Ontiveros, Roeser, and Roppolo might be cut due to position redundancies but at least one of them will make it. So, a maximum of 8 new players.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!