• movielover
    A little non-sport fun inspired by the movie Lady Bird.

Name a favorite Sacramento restaurant and / or place. (Try not to repeat.)
  • movielover
    OK, to get the ball rolling ...

1. Gunters - ice cream
  • 69aggie
    The Broiler (closed)
  • movielover

1. Gunters ice
    2. The Boiler
    3. The Squeeze Inn. (not the original.)
  • 69aggie
    Kagetzu (closed)
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    My friend who was a Davis undergrad and is now working at Sac State took me to Fox and Goose for breakfast once. That place is really good!
  • Zander
    Ma Jong's next to the Capitol
  • 69aggie
    It’s not really in sac , but in west sac- Pheasant Club. Best garlic steak sandwich on the planet bar none.
  • 72Aggie
    The Pheasant Club is a very popular place place for office luncheons - retirements, promotions, etc.. Rule in our house was that if someone went to a lunch there they had to buy two sandwiches on the take out menu to bring home for dinner that night. 1) It's a great meal, 2) needed to equalize the garlic breath in the household.
  • movielover
    10 points. Never heard of it before!!
  • 72Aggie
    Used to be on the south edge of West Sac. It hasn't moved but a whole lot of West Sac has grown to the south of the Pheasant Club* now. Heck, they paved the parking lot!

*AKA The Club Pheasant.
  • movielover
    Football ocassionally had the Causeway Classic luncheon at some place in West Sac, no?
  • 69aggie
    I think their menu history says the original building was a UC Davis ag building. Well, at least we get some good press out of sac.
  • movielover
    Extreme views on Yelp with an average of 3 stars. Some think regulars get better service. Steak sandwich a consistent favorite. Deep fried raviolis, minestrone soup, quite a number give it 1 star.

I've seen a lot of restaurants with similiar circumstances. I wonder if many kitchens being staffed by new immigrants, in this case, not Italians, affects their quality of food? Tough to match if the owners had been cooking those dishes for decades.
  • movielover
    Crickets Country Kitchen at 4745 Auburn is a Classic! Breakfast or lunch. Great service, portions, kids will love the kitchy decor and train just below the ceiling. Quirky Americana. Biscuits and gravy untested.
  • 72Aggie

"The original building was built in 1912. It was owned and used by the University at Davis as an agronomy laboratory to test the ground for farming."

http://theclubpheasant.com/our-story-2/
  • 69aggie
    Garlic steak sandwich. . . . My mouth is watering. I buy a full, eat one for lunch and take the rest home for dinner. This is to keep my weight down! Yeh, sure. Wife not on board for this.
  • ucdboyd
    Some of my favorite places in Sacramento from the past- Food was served but it was more about the music. Old Ironsides, The Cattle Club-now gone, and the old funky Capitol Garage- since moved and remade as a trendy eatery.
  • movielover
    Frank Fats??
  • 72Aggie
    Frank Fats is still going strong...the third house of the legislature.

Hong Kong Cafe on Broadway was my budget Chinese restaurant from Davis days until they finally retired and closed the business a few years ago.

Chando's Tacos and the related businesses as well as a food truck.

Valentine's, anniversaries, going to pop the question: The Waterboy or Ella. [$$$]

Fancier Mexican: Cielito Lindo.

Old time ice cream: Vic's in Land Park, Gunther's in Curtis Park, Burr's (kind of a Vic's east) in East Sac, Leatherby's in Arden area.

Old time classic Italian: Biba's.
  • movielover
    Firehouse still solid? Looks appetizing, never been.
  • 72Aggie
    Haven't been there in many, many years. Used to love it.

Old Sac has suffered over the years, including its restaurants. Even with Golden 1 just a few blocks away.
  • movielover
    I went to Sacramento Live once or twice, that was fun.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I loved Old Sac when I was a student (7-10 yrs ago) and prior to that when i lived in the Bay. I visited a few times a year, esp before RiverCats games (before they joined the evil Giants). What is Old Sac like now?
  • 69aggie
    Many, many years ago Old Sac hosted a Train Fair and it was incredibly popular. I went and it was great! But I am a total rail fan. They should try to make that an annual event. UP brought its huge “Old 7777” to town and it huffed and puffed and steamed and chugged. My kids could not get enough of it!
    Former SP also brought a complete passenger train down from Portland which went through Davis. Incredible sight going thru town to sac. Old sac needs something like this to reinvent itself.
  • 72Aggie
    Not sure if it was the same event, but I remember some event where a whole lot of historic old trains were brought together in Sacramento,....kind of a tall ships on rails event. Lot of train buffs came to town, many of them gathering in the mountains or other scenic vistas to take photos of the old trains. One of the coolest things was to hear the steam whistles as the trains came to town. Much better than whatever kind of horns they use now, though for the sake of a full nights sleep, I suppose the old whistles had to go.
  • Zander
    Wait, I am pretty darn sure I went to that in I think 2000. Rail Fair it was called.

It was my reward for learning how to tie my shoes
  • agalum
    Bandera's. Excellent. Try their steak and enchilada combo which is a strange pairing but excellent.
  • movielover
    Finally got to the Putah Creek Cafe in Winters. Great!
  • 72Aggie
    Wow....going over this thread, a couple of the restaurants mentioned just a year ago are gone....Bandera's, Burr's Ice Cream
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!