• BlueGoldAg
    Hey...there's hope for the little guys after all. #16 Maryland Baltimore County just beat #1 Virgina 74-54 and this was no fluke. They dominated game. A 16 seed had never beat a #1 before in the history of the tournament. It was literally a David vs Goliath game with the Virginia players towering over UMBC. Virginia was also ranked as the #2 team in the entire 64 team field and was 31-2 this season.

You've gotta love the NCAA Tournament. Who knows what we might do the next time we make it to the Big Dance.
  • Zander
    UMBC was also pretty low in KenPom ranking too. Makes me feel validated for honestly believing Davis had a chance against Kansas last year. Truly anything can happen in the tournament.

Commentators were saying that you'd expect the 16v1 games to get closer as the 1-and-done system forces the top teams to integrate new rosters of inexperienced players each year; it's been weird that that there have been fewer close calls recently rather than more.

I got to go to the games at SDSU today and Marshall had a strong showing to upset #4 Wichita State there. They played with a lot of confidence and challenged the Shockers at part of the game, like UMBC did. Seems like the key to pulling off big tourney upsets is to go all-in and hope for a little bit of luck for the shots to go down.
  • Toke69
    Good point, Zander. Going forward, though, I hope the Ags can get a seed higher than 16. Had the 2014-15 tam made the NCAA and gotten hot from the 3, I could see them doing that. The 3-ball is a great equalizer. I thought Virginia played very poorly, not to take anything away from the Retrievers. UMBC was really hot from outside the arc and were even able to penetrate, due to UVA's weak defense. I did not understand why the Cavaliers kept hoisting up perimeter shots when they had such a height advantage. Still, they were victims of their own complacency coming in and then gradually lost composure in the second half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was a great game to watch. UMBC was just so fearless and never let up or get conservative. Virginia had a tough time guarding UMBC's quickness and outstanding ball movement. It was just a phenomenal upset.
  • aggie6thman
    There are only two West Coast teams left in the tournament: Gonzaga and Nevada. Ouch.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There might be more parity once the FBI finishes their investigation of cheating in college basketball and some of the big boys get busted.
  • SoCalAggie
    Lyles reminds me of Hawkins
  • aggie6thman
    Except Arizona, the one West Coast team other than Gonzaga that wins, is on the radar. The Pac 12 should have been a one-bid conference (went 0-3). We have a long way to go to achieve “parity”.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!